You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

Don't get me wrong, if anyone doesn't want to play for Liverpool, I accept that. As long as they go about it in the right way, they'll always be afforded a good reception.

The point of my gripe was about how fans and supporters have acted since he left. Fair enough, the King is a classy fella so if Suarez requested he present him with the award, I wouldn't expect him to turn it down. The idea of him, though, wandering into Melwood with a Barca top and posing for pics doesn't sit right with me.

It's pretty much acceptance of the status quo and strikes me as a bit small time. If we're aiming to catch clubs like that, it sends out a defeatist message. If the shoe was on the other foot, no chance they'd have someone swanning into their training ground with a Liverpool top.

As I said, I realise I'm in a minority, but it's how I feel about the whole thing.

• Upvote 2

Don't get me wrong, if anyone doesn't want to play for Liverpool, I accept that. As long as they go about it in the right way, they'll always be afforded a good reception.

The point of my gripe was about how fans and supporters have acted since he left. Fair enough, the King is a classy fella so if Suarez requested he present him with the award, I wouldn't expect him to turn it down. The idea of him, though, wandering into Melwood with a Barca top and posing for pics doesn't sit right with me.

It's pretty much acceptance of the status quo and strikes me as a bit small time. If we're aiming to catch clubs like that, it sends out a defeatist message. If the shoe was on the other foot, no chance they'd have someone swanning into their training ground with a Liverpool top.

As I said, I realise I'm in a minority, but it's how I feel about the whole thing.

We have no chance of catching clubs like that.

As I said, I realise I'm in a minority, but it's how I feel about the whole thing.

I agree with that, but I think people don't mind because they know about his family connections to Barcelona rather than it simply being a case of him thinking it's a bigger club. It's like if you employed someone and knew they'd always wanted to be a copper, it would sting less if they fucked you off to join the police rather than just joined one of your rival firms, in fact you'd probably buy them some sweets.

We've sold our best players for decades, it feels odd to me that people still work themselves up over it. Nobody likes it but it's just how the hierarchy works. We take other clubs best players, and presumably people on Southampton forums expel disappointment, suggesting Lallana could have been Le Tissier if he'd stayed. Well it doesn't work like that Southampton fans. Lallana has moved so he could escape mid-table and play at the pinnacle of the league... wait... what?

• Upvote 1

Faustus, my post probably came across a bit colder than was intended. And, obviously, the sentiment of it gives me no pleasure.

But we aren't a big team at the moment, still obviously a big club, but that doesn't really matter to players that don't support the club. Chelsea and City are the two best teams in England, yet there are probably bigger clubs in the Championship. We can't compete with either of those, can't compete with Arsenal because they're in London, can't compete with United because they'll pay twice what we will in wages. So we end up buying players not in the top tier, usually young players, hoping that they'll become good enough, and hoping they don't decide to fuck off when they do. We're less than a quarter of the way through the season and most people that support the club would snap your hand off for 4th, and getting out of our Champions League group. A group that contains Basel and Ludogorets. Accepting whatever the fuck a "transition season" is.

I think this sums up the defeatist attitude of the club. 

• Upvote 1

I think this sums up the defeatist attitude of the club. 

What does this even mean?

It's a money game. If the owners don't have the money, they don't have the money.

edit: And what does a 'big club' mean? What's your criteria? Fanbase? Income? Trophies? Can you name a championship club that beat either of City or Chelsea on those counts?

What does this even mean?

It's a money game. If the owners don't have the money, they don't have the money.

Was it a money game last season? Was it a fluke then? Or, all down to Suarez? 

We got 84 points last season, two away from winning the league. We're in October and would be delighted if we finished 4th.

What did we spend in the summer? £125m?

Was it a money game last season? Was it a fluke then? Or, all down to Suarez? 

We got 84 points last season, two away from winning the league. We're in October and would be delighted if we finished 4th.

What did we spend in the summer? £125m?

I don't know what we term last season. An anomaly? Fact is that Chelsea and City will be winning the league for the foreseeable future. And if Utd keep spending the way they did in the summer, they'll soon be challenging also. We won't get a look in. We are battling it out for fourth.

Unfortunately spending £125m means little when you're running to stand still after losing one of the best players in the world.

I don't know what we term last season. An anomaly? Fact is that Chelsea and City will be winning the league for the foreseeable future. And if Utd keep spending the way they did in the summer, they'll soon be challenging also. We won't get a look in. We are battling it out for fourth.

Unfortunately spending £125m means little when you're running to stand still after losing one of the best players in the world.

I agree that Chelsea and City will be, and I'd have accepted that it was likely we'd finish no higher than third this year. I just think that last season, and Atletico last season as well, and Dortmund a year or two before, proves that you don't have to simply accept that you have no chance. I think once you do accept you have no chance...you do have no chance. Everybody shit themselves against us in the second half of last season. We destroyed them before games had kicked off. United did it for two decades. It wasn't because of what players cost, or were paid. 

I don't know, I just find the dramatic climb down from last season so depressing. It's the third fucking time in just over ten years we've done this, and I think many factors other than just money play a part. Although, we do our utmost to ensure that we squander what money we do have.

I don't know, I just find the dramatic climb down from last season so depressing. It's the third fucking time in just over ten years we've done this, and I think many factors other than just money play a part. Although, we do our utmost to ensure that we squander what money we do have.

I agree with this.

Edit: I agree with most of that post, actually.

It's the third fucking time in just over ten years we've done this, and I think many factors other than just money play a part. Although, we do our utmost to ensure that we squander what money we do have.

That's what drives me insane. We've fucking done this twice before, granted under Rafa the two cunts weren't making things easy. 

Anyway, all these discussions are just going around and around. 

Basically some people think we've bought poorly, others will argue we havn't and it will all click at some point, others will argue that we can't compete etc... etc...

It's all up in the air at the moment in fairness, anything could happen.

But the natural pessimist in me these days just can't help but think we've messed up again this summer and we'll pay for it. 

I badly hope I'm badly wrong. 

I don't like the cunt, but Mourinho has pretty much got this football lark sussed out. There were people calling him a fool for loaning out Lukaku last season but looking at him this season, it was a master-stroke. Now there's pressure on Lukaku to perform because of the fee Everton paid, he doesn't look the same player. If he'd stayed at Chelsea last season the same thing probably would have happened. Mourinho ends up getting close to 30 million for a player he doesn't even rate and then another 50 for David Luiz. 

That's just transfers. He's on another level when it comes to tactics and getting the best out of his players. People will say he only goes where there's money or whatever, but regardless of that, he's paid to manage football clubs and he does it pretty much better than everyone. I don't like him, his antics or his tactics but I can't deny his management abilities. 

Haha we can't compete for top four after spending 100 million plus . The world has gone mad with excuses

You could argue we needed to spend 200 million plus when you factor in we lost one of the best players in the world and had a bench made up of the likes of Alberto, Moses and Aspas. I dunno how much Spurs have spent over the past 5 or so years, but they're still shite. The problem is the likes of City and Chelsea go out and spend big money on established players but they can do so because they're competing on all fronts and have done for a while. This is our first CL campaign in ages and we're not willing to spend big so we're not an options for the likes of Di Maria and Costa.  

I still think Can, Markovic, Moreno and Origi will be considered ace signings in a years time. Lallana will be boss too. Lovren looks like a fish up a tree, but so does the entire team at the moment. Because we're doing shit there's pressure on the signings to perform and 'justify the fee' where as if we carried on from last season I think people would be more understanding and the same players people have written off would be given time. 

• Upvote 1

Haven't read the thread but has anybody really said that?

Not being rude, but read the thread.

You could argue we needed to spend 200 million plus when you factor in we lost one of the best players in the world and had a bench made up of the likes of Alberto, Moses and Aspas. I dunno how much Spurs have spent over the past 5 or so years, but they're still shite. The problem is the likes of City and Chelsea go out and spend big money on established players but they can do so because they're competing on all fronts and have done for a while. This is our first CL campaign in ages and we're not willing to spend big so we're not an options for the likes of Di Maria and Costa.  

I still think Can, Markovic, Moreno and Origi will be considered ace signings in a years time. Lallana will be boss too. Lovren looks like a fish up a tree, but so does the entire team at the moment. Because we're doing shit there's pressure on the signings to perform and 'justify the fee' where as if we carried on from last season I think people would be more understanding and the same players people have written off would be given time. 

Realistically, I dont think many expected us to challenge for the league this year and compete with City and Chelsea. We needed to consolidate our position in the top four.

The problem with Can, Markovic Origi etc are that we needed players for now. Spending 20 million on a player who might reach his potential in a few years/£10 million on a player loaned out are luxuries we couldn't afford.

I couldn't care less about last night's result. The League Cup is well past it's sell by by date and should be binned.

I blame Ferguson and Wenger for spreading that kind of attitude. Same with the FA Cup to a lesser extent and the UEFA cup which has been ruined due to the clamour for CL 'compensation' money.

Footy is about trophies, I can't think of anything shitter than just teams trying every season to get into an increasingly bloated CL (European super league) purely for money.

• Upvote 2