You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

We might not have the luxury of going and grabbing players on the verge of a breakout from Chelsea and City's academies so looking at the Jadon Sancho types who have moved from there to a club abroad is probably the way to go.

Bellingham and Musiala (if he counts) are the obvious choices but not easily gettable.

Madueke will be the recency bias choice as he's just scored a decent goal for PSV, Rabbi Matondo as a developmental option (might be getting a bit old to be considered developmental).

In the premier league you're probably looking at functional workman like midfielders that have already been mentioned, Phillips, Prowse etc.

So that’s a no from West Ham….

Aceface

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2021

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:50 am

It would be absolutely pathetic to go without a striker for six months then sign Divock Origi in the last few days of a window largely based on the fact Liverpool dropped their price by £5m.

It might even take over from Mido as the definitive illustration of life under GSB.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

If you wanted to buy an English player or two to help with the homegrown quota, who would you go for that was gettable and good?

Depends what you consider gettable, as anyone halfway decent would cost, but I wouldn't mind any from the likes of Lamptey, Eze, Aarons or Cantwell. The trouble is, youngsters you can get in midfield/wide forward positions would be taking away from Elliott and Jones' game time.

Really wish we'd managed to swipe Saka from Arsenal though.

We need creativity and threat through the middle. The idea of Ox being reinvented into this role just seems dumb as shit to me, the second he shows promise he will be injured and then take 5 games to find his rhythm and get injured again, rinse and repeat. It's pretty much odds on. Defenders are already shit scared of our threat out  wide. Maybe jota is the answer instead of Bobby I just don't know what it is im not that sold on Jota yet, not that he wasn't a good buy and a good addition to the squad  he's definitely a great squad option especially when you look at our other options.

Jota and Firminho weren't back from international duty and Origi doesn't suit the false 9 so Chamberlain was on of the few options available early in pre-season.

While he's an option if he shows any aptitude for the position I think it's been overblown that we're re-training him for that position.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Jota and Firminho weren't back from international duty and Origi doesn't suit the false 9 so Chamberlain was on of the few options available early in pre-season.

While he's an option if he shows any aptitude for the position I think it's been overblown that we're re-training him for that position.

Yeah but it's been discussed by fans like everything else.

I'd guess at 2 coming in by the end of the window, whether it's the two people want is another matter but the club tend to go for profiles rather than names so most of the time the names fans want don't really match the profile the club is looking at.

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

More quality reporting from The Echo…

0BB3F5C8-8CA0-4F23-845E-A3D404270236.png

But clicking on the hyperlink takes you to…

5948BED6-8DBD-4C49-8242-3833A62FE055.png

I suppose either way, hopefully we cash in, move the players on and improve our squad.

I met Wayne Veysey at a wedding many years ago, decent chap and a red. Nothing to add on the story, just thought I’d wow you all with that great anecdote.

50 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Depends what you consider gettable, as anyone halfway decent would cost, but I wouldn't mind any from the likes of Lamptey, Eze, Aarons or Cantwell. The trouble is, youngsters you can get in midfield/wide forward positions would be taking away from Elliott and Jones' game time.

Really wish we'd managed to swipe Saka from Arsenal though.

Gettable means from anywhere other than Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea, unless they want to get rid. Everyone else is “gettable”.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I cant give you a name even hypothetically. If Bellingham was gettable I'd go for him, many see him as the next Gerrard. He'd cost a fortune and we don't spend big without the certainty most of it will be covered by a sale or two.

I reckon £50 million would get Bellingham. A good choice.

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I reckon £50 million would get Bellingham. A good choice.

Most of what I know of him I've read, I can't say I've watched him loads and what a player he is but everything ive read and opinions on him reckon he's something special.  Plus Gerrard is his footballing hero.

Whatever happens happens but it's hard to deny that new signings do add optimism and a boost to clubs you only have to read player biographies to see how they felt when a top player joined the team.

29 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Does anybody think we won't bring anyone in. I'm 100 percent certain we will.

I think we will, but we’ll be fine if we don’t. There needs to be a bit more focus on what we do have, rather than what we don’t.

A couple of quality signings, or at the very least, players who don’t weaken the first XI too much when/if they have to play would be very welcome. If this doesn’t happen, though, then so be it.

Other than City, nobody else has a first XI has good as ours. The signings some of our main rivals have made don’t concern me. 

Of course we’ll need some better luck with injuries, but I see no reason why we finish outside the top two with any less than ninety points. It will be difficult to overhaul City for the top spot, but not impossible. 

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

They've just got the Sancho cash and have guaranteed 75 million coming in next summer. If you want Bellingham you're looking at Sancho money at least.

Well, we won’t find out, but Dortmund are  getting £70 mill for Sancho who is a forward with a lot more pedigree. Midfielders are cheaper and younger and less proven even more so.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Does anybody think we won't bring anyone in. I'm 100 percent certain we will.

Not 100% but I've a feeling we won't get anyone. If we do get someone in, given how Klopp likes to bed players in before starting them, we won't be seeing a great deal of them until the new year anyway.

What we needed was a genuinely excellent, younger player to come in at the same time as Konate so they'd get the full season to get acclimatised to the squad and the way we want to play.

Yes I understand why we didn't - pick any or all from no money for a deal / FSG are cunts / no overseas place in the squad / couldn't flush turds like Origi / shouldn't have extended Adrian / no value in the market / too hard to do deals while players are at the Euros.

But one top class addition in either midfield or the front three, at the right age, would have done absolute wonders for this squad. Personally I would have paid whatever was necessary for Camavinga, and if he didn't want the move go all out for a Firmino upgrade, whoever that may have been. Sort out the outgoings after that.