You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Salzburg (H) 2/10/19 - Champions of Europe League

Bjornebye

Going against grain here bit the criticism Gomez is getting is slightly misplaced. Rusty yes but in my opinion VVD was very casual and not as commanding last night. It has crept into his game recently and Joel is used to covering for him. Gomez looked good on ball and showed great covering speed admittedly cause he was out of position initially but he more Rio than Smalling from what I see.  On VVD I think we need to make him captain sooner rather than later give him the responsibility of shaking team up when match is drifting. Cannot keep relying on Milner. 

• Upvote 2

We often speak about how teams that go at us will get slaughtered on the counter.

And indeed, we put 4 past these.

But occasionally, teams that go at us are going to score as well I guess.  Preferably not that often, and hopefully all Salzburg's attacking Christmasses came at once on this occasion.

The opening day against Norwich could maybe have finished 4-3.

Hopefully, the fine tuning required in our season can be done while we keep winning.

Put this one down to an exception rather than a rule perhaps.

• Upvote 1

Better that Gomez had a dodgy first game back last night than in a tight league fixture. Thought he won most of his battles in the last half hour so hopefully it was just a rustiness thing.

He wasn't the only one off colour -  really poor from Hendo to give the ball away in the build-up for the first. Virgil missed Matip beside him too.

Perfect result in a way. A victory and a big wake up call ahead of a tough game on Saturday. 

Salzburg have surely been added to the ninth level of Bloo hell.

• Lost
  • Lost after getting Bloo hopes up about a bottle job for the ages
  • Lost and behaved as if giving the Champions of Europe a right good rattle at their famous home was something about which to be proud

By the end, the victorious Liverpool manager sported a face like thunder while his beaten counterpart, Jesse Marsch, indulged in fist-pump celebrations in front of the Salzburg supporters. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Salzburg have surely been added to the ninth level of Bloo hell.

• Lost
  • Lost after getting Bloo hopes up about a bottle job for the ages
  • Lost and behaved as if giving the Champions of Europe a right good rattle at their famous home was something about which to be proud

Ha, that manager's reaction on full-time was a bit small-time alright. Not doing his players' mentality any good with that.

I didn’t see it, but listened from just before Mo’s goal in the first half as I drove home.

it sounded from commentary that Virgil was getting caught out a lot, and didn’t hear Gomez’s name much although the commentators did say he’d started shakily but was better second half.

i think he’ll be fine, and I don’t think anyone is giving enough thought to the loss of Allisson this season.

if when he went down in the first game we’d have been told he’d be out this long, who would’ve predicted a perfect record in the league and only 1 game not won at all so far this season?

Adrian has done his part, but he’s a huge drop off from Allisson, so it’s no surprise we’re less solid at the back.

Add in rustiness from Gomez, and no bouts in their partnership at the back, along with VvD not being at his imperious best, that’s how 3 goals conceded can happen.

better last night than at the weekend.

25 minutes ago, Baltar said:

What did he do?

On full-time he spent a few minutes at the away end, fist-pumping and chest-beating as though they'd actually gotten the winning goal. In my opinion, gives an odd message to the players ahead of a really tough game against Napoli.

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

On full-time he spent a few minutes at the away end, fist-pumping and chest-beating as though they'd actually gotten the winning goal. In my opinion, gives an odd message to the players ahead of a really tough game against Napoli.

Ah OK. That's not too bad, I thought he was being disrespectful but if anything, shows how thrilled he was coming to Anfield and giving the champs a hell of a game. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I didn’t see it, but listened from just before Mo’s goal in the first half as I drove home.

it sounded from commentary that Virgil was getting caught out a lot, and didn’t hear Gomez’s name much although the commentators did say he’d started shakily but was better second half.

i think he’ll be fine, and I don’t think anyone is giving enough thought to the loss of Allisson this season.

if when he went down in the first game we’d have been told he’d be out this long, who would’ve predicted a perfect record in the league and only 1 game not won at all so far this season?

Adrian has done his part, but he’s a huge drop off from Allisson, so it’s no surprise we’re less solid at the back.

Add in rustiness from Gomez, and no bouts in their partnership at the back, along with VvD not being at his imperious best, that’s how 3 goals conceded can happen.

better last night than at the weekend.

Of course Adrian is not Allison but he wasn't to blame for last night's near disaster. Matip was a big miss but switching off for 20 mins was a collective failure to follow a basic rule of not thinking a game is won with an hour to play.

I hop we have the legs on Saturday to match Leicester for 90 minutes

1 hour ago, skaro said:

Going there in the last game and needing a result would be tough.

They might punch themselves out before then like Ajax did in the later rounds last year.

The most impressive thing about them is how well they adjusted to playing us (after the first 30 minutes anyway) given that their domestic fixtures are probably less than challenging.

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Ah OK. That's not too bad, I thought he was being disrespectful but if anything, shows how thrilled he was coming to Anfield and giving the champs a hell of a game. 

Yep. I mean it's not a totally bad thing, right? It's not an exaggeration to say that hundreds of millions of people around the world watched agog as Barcelona were dismantled by Anfield last May. Can you imagine if Middlesbrough or Fulham (teams I mention as they, like Salzburg, had deep runs in the Uefa Cup/Europa League in recent times) went to the Nou Camp and went down all guns blazing like Salzburg did? I'd be pretty pissed off as a fan of any of those teams if any of their coaches went around with a cob on afterwards. I guess there's a happy medium, but this Roy Keane thing that only total victory is ever good enough gets tiresome after a while.

• Upvote 1