You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

Im still utterly baffled that nobody here or at the club thinks buying a striker is a main priority.

Sturridge is awesome but he WILL get injured this season - its inevitable.

Ings is decent but simply a backup. Origi is nowhere near good enough yet to lead our line alone.

We need a Griezmann esque player.

Im still utterly baffled that nobody here or at the club thinks buying a striker is a main priority.

Ings is decent but simply a backup. Origi is nowhere near good enough yet to lead our line alone.

Klopp expects the rest of the team to weigh in with goals and not just depend on a striker.

It makes me laugh when people keep saying we've improved our defence with Matip, how many of these people have actually seen him play? How do you know if he's gonna slot in? He was free, good things don't come free, unless his first name is Markus.

Gary McAllister ?  Kolo Toure ?

Even if we don't sign an out and out striker (although I agree with you we should) we at least need another proper, direct, goal scoring wide player.

We've bought one. Taking the total up to...one.

A shred of optimism? Seriously?

He *is* living in fantasy land, he predicted we'd win the league a month ago. Before either we or our opponents had made any signings.

Like I said, pure delusion.

Try to be civil please, and if you are able, take into account the total of my post on the matter. If you think a 9/1 shot is delusional, you either don't know what the word means or you are being mean spirited to a fellow fan.

Of course I'm aware we are about 5-6th favourites for the title. And if I wanted to blandly repeat what most people think, I would say something like this, "We'll finish 5-6th, but with a fair wind we might challenge for top four."

Instead, as a fan, I'm trying to find reasons to be optimistic, and I see lots of them.

• Upvote 2

Jesus fucking Christ, this is like Hodgson all over again.The fans who forced a good manager out are getting what they deserve by seeing the grass is not greener while the rest of us have to suffer the consequences with them.

For the love of God LFC fans when Klopps time is up finally get it in to your heads that a mangers success elsewhere does not guarantee anything at LFC, there's a world class manager who had us as one of the best in Europe when he was here with a budget of 20m a season.It hurts me to think what he would be doing at the club right now, he would sort out the whole squad let alone the first 11 with the money available this summer.

There can be no more gambles after Klopp we need Rafa back, let's just hope he and Newcastle haven't overtaken us by then.

Interesting.

Under Rodgers, we were undeniably shite in Europe. However, we were "one of the best in Europe" when we were not in Europe.

Like I said, delusional.

The top four thread is waiting for your top four teams, including us as champions.

I just read through the top four thread and I counted 9 or 10 fans having Liverpool finish top of the pile. Spending time on here seems to have influenced me in the direction of delusion!

Obviously the top four thread has a fair amount of people voting more with the heart than the head, as fans tend to do. With that said, it doesn't mean we are no-hopers. We are a 9/1 shot for the league tile. To give that some context, I enjoyed watching the third round of the Open today, with Mickelson and Stenson slugging it out. We don't know who the winner will be tomorrow, but it will probably be one of those two men.

Before a ball was hit on Thursday's opening round, Stenson was a 25/1 shot and Mickelson 40/1.

Would you like to retract the delusional comment? It appears I'm far from alone among our fan base, and it also appears that a 9/1 shot coming true is completely unremarkable in terms of sporting odds.

The Dortmund fans on the reddit forum are not happy with the Gotze signing at all. 

He's a bit of a busted flush. Guardiola tried him in basically every single midfield or attacking position and he could never find form in any of them. He's not in good shape and he's gotten pelted by the german media because he seems to have motivational problems and is a poor trainer. He's still young and could turn it around, but he's not been the great player he's been portrayed to be for a while now. The Dortmund fans also really hated the way he left and it could get ugly if he doesn't perform.

I'm not saying it's a blessing in disguise that he rejected us because the fee wouldn't have been very high and he still has great technique, but we certainly didn't need him and if it was him or Mane, then Mane was the clear better choice for our needs.

Jesus fucking Christ, this is like Hodgson all over again.The fans who forced a good manager out are getting what they deserve by seeing the grass is not greener while the rest of us have to suffer the consequences with them.

For the love of God LFC fans when Klopps time is up finally get it in to your heads that a mangers success elsewhere does not guarantee anything at LFC, there's a world class manager who had us as one of the best in Europe when he was here with a budget of 20m a season.It hurts me to think what he would be doing at the club right now, he would sort out the whole squad let alone the first 11 with the money available this summer.

There can be no more gambles after Klopp we need Rafa back, let's just hope he and Newcastle haven't overtaken us by then.

Just so I'm clear, in discussing the ousting of managers, the equation you're making is this:

Rafa replaced by Hodgson is equal to  

Rodgers replaced by Klopp

and therefore

Rafa = Rodgers

Hodgson = Klopp

If I'm wrong, could you please clarify.

• Upvote 1

Just so I'm clear, in discussing the ousting of managers, the equation you're making is this:

Rafa replaced by Hodgson is equal to  

Rodgers replaced by Klopp

and therefore

Rafa = Rodgers

Hodgson = Klopp

If I'm wrong, could you please clarify.

Nonononono

Rafa>Bodgers>Hodgson>Klopp

I agree.

And when it comes to Sturridge I'm not even convinced of his quality anymore. At the end of last season he'd stopped sprinting all out, maybe in an attempt to avoid injury before the Euros.

If he's going to play like that, his contribution to the team is going to be significantly less in the future.

I just read through the top four thread and I counted 9 or 10 fans having Liverpool finish top of the pile. Spending time on here seems to have influenced me in the direction of delusion!

Obviously the top four thread has a fair amount of people voting more with the heart than the head, as fans tend to do. With that said, it doesn't mean we are no-hopers. We are a 9/1 shot for the league tile. To give that some context, I enjoyed watching the third round of the Open today, with Mickelson and Stenson slugging it out. We don't know who the winner will be tomorrow, but it will probably be one of those two men.

Before a ball was hit on Thursday's opening round, Stenson was a 25/1 shot and Mickelson 40/1.

Would you like to retract the delusional comment? It appears I'm far from alone among our fan base, and it also appears that a 9/1 shot coming true is completely unremarkable in terms of sporting odds.

Why would I retract it? You, and anyone else who actually believes we're going to win the league next season are delusional in my opinion.

You already claimed it before this summers transfers (which are still far from finished) had taken place, which is completely detached from reality.

Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong. We'll know next May.

Come to think of it, we'll probably know by the end of this year already.

The Rev is one seriously classy poster.

Absolutely agree.

Having said that, his posts bring up one of the infuriating dichotomies of transfer threads. Not wanting to hear Rawkian bullshit about how this is going to be the year, but at the same time not wanting to read Libpool fans throwing in the towel in July.

I despise transfer threads for this exact reason; they are my most hated of all threads, amd that includes breakfast foods threads, which I particularly despise; I hate reading them, but I cannot look away.

• Upvote 2

It has nothing to do with being positive. It's delusion without any root in reality whatsoever, which I'm sorry to say I can't take seriously.

I'm a bit like that too. However, rather than positivity being the trait that makes me pigeonhole other people, it's a rude, arrogant and dismissive tone. It makes me leap to all sorts of conclusions about the other person such as the failure of their upbringing or the essential unhappiness of their daily lives. However I then remind myself that for some people, it's nothing like that; they're just fucking arseholes.
  • Upvote 6

I'm a bit like that too. However, rather than positivity being the trait that makes me pigeonhole other people, it's a rude, arrogant and dismissive tone. It makes me leap to all sorts of conclusions about the other person such as the failure of their upbringing or the essential unhappiness of their daily lives. However I then remind myself that for some people, it's nothing like that; they're just fucking arseholes.

Think we should try and take it down a bit, tone wise.

If the likes of Paul and the Rev are getting excited, it isn't good for the forum and means the rest of us should try to be a little less arsey.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that is a fair comparison. The open is a field of around 150, the premier league just 20. The odds just can't be reasonably compared.

Personally I think only a nut job would put money on us at 9/1, there's absolutely no value in those odds for anyone but the bookies - even if you think we're going to win it, the odds just aren't right. I imagine after Leicester winning it last season, the bookies will be making the odds much shorter on everyone. Considering how poor we've been for a number of years and how little we are likely to spend, I would think 14-16/1 would be fair odds and to be honest, I wouldn't back us under 20/1. To give it some context, going into the group stages in 2005, with 32 teams, we were 25/1 with the tight bookies, heading out to 33/1 with the more generous ones. I think that is a truer reflection of our position today, with a closer number of runners.

I don't think that is a fair comparison. The open is a field of around 150, the premier league just 20. The odds just can't be reasonably compared.

Personally I think only a nut job would put money on us at 9/1, there's absolutely no value in those odds for anyone but the bookies - even if you think we're going to win it, the odds just aren't right. I imagine after Leicester winning it last season, the bookies will be making the odds much shorter on everyone. Considering how poor we've been for a number of years and how little we are likely to spend, I would think 14-16/1 would be fair odds and to be honest, I wouldn't back us under 20/1. To give it some context, going into the group stages in 2005, with 32 teams, we were 25/1 with the tight bookies, heading out to 33/1 with the more generous ones. I think that is a truer reflection of our position today, with a closer number of runners.

We're ridiculously underpriced because, in the opinion of the bookies, we have the most optimistic/deluded fans in the country. 

Count me in on this. An intelligent and mobile striker with 20+ goals in him could be the difference between 6th to 8th and 1st to 3rd.

Spending 40 million or more on such a player if we can get one is the right thing to do.

My concern is more the trouble we have securing key targets, even having lowered our sights well, well away from anyone developed enough to tempt the top clubs we used to see as natural rivals over a full season, rather than in one-off games.

Through a mixture of Klopp's preferred way of operating, the FSG model and necessity caused by the reality of our situation, our answers to some stark questions are Chilwell, Dahoud and Zielinski. It seems we'll now do well to get 2 of them over the line.

For any we're unsuccessful in signing, few would bet against us moving onto alternatives who bemusingly don't share the same attributes or just leaving it until next summer (January being an obvious non-starter).

If we go into this season without drastically improving our midfield with someone of the right level now, it will bite us on the arse in short order. If we go into it without even managing to get the 20 year old we see developing into that player over the coming years, what more can you say.

We want £15M for players at Ibe's level of development and consistency. We want £4M for Sinclair with his Jeremy Beadle handful of appearances. Yet we come out with this right player at the right price stuff when it's the other way round, even for a key target in a position where we have glaring weaknesses which have repeatedly been exposed.

For such staunch businessmen FSG don't ever appear to have factored 'loss of opportunity' of not making the right signing at the right time into their calculations, focusing simply on the valuation of individual deals as though they exist in splendid isolation. It's a myopic approach which rams us up the shitter every single summer. It's also cumulative, and itself a not insignificant cause of the current reality we find ourselves rooted in and asked to accept.

Maddening.

This.

Just buy a dominant ball winning midfielder for fucks sake.

If we don't do any other business. This has to be addressed