You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You seem surprised that a journo wouldn't be completely categorical. It's usually implied that anything can happen during a transfer window but that there are more likely outcomes than others. Journos don't know everything, they report what they think is most likely based on what people tell them.

You don't have to go through James Pearce statements with a fine tooth comb wondering why he used certain words.

Paul Joyce was pretty categoric about us not buying a midfielder this window. That was during a transfer window.

Pearce is not reporting what he thinks, he is stating what he has been told.

A journalists job is about words. If they want to be categoric they will be. 

47 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Paul Joyce was pretty categoric about us not buying a midfielder this window. That was during a transfer window.

Pearce is not reporting what he thinks, he is stating what he has been told.

A journalists job is about words. If they want to be categoric they will be. 

If they know what they're doing, journos will prime statements with "as it stands" "unless something changes", etc... Because that's how the transfer window works, it's a fluid period. 

Some of the dumbest stuff fans do is speculate about transfer news in terms of "smokescreens". They think they can tell when journos are being coy and the club is using them for negotiating tactics or to get a narrative out there. It's honestly mind-numbing.

You, the average fan, simply can't tell when that's the case. It's so stupid when people think they can just tell when a journo is being fed misleading things, like they work for the FBI, or something. "Oh, he didn't shut the door completely, I could tell when he wrote they aren't looking to sell instead of they would never sell". Yeah, sure. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

If they know what they're doing, journos will prime statements with "as it stands" "unless something changes", etc... Because that's how the transfer window works, it's a fluid period. 

Some of the dumbest stuff fans do is speculate about transfer news in terms of "smokescreens". They think they can tell when journos are being coy and the club is using them for negotiating tactics or to get a narrative out there. It's honestly mind-numbing.

You, the average fan, simply can't tell when that's the case. It's so stupid when people think they can just tell when a journo is being fed misleading things, like they work for the FBI, or something. "Oh, he didn't shut the door completely, I could tell when he wrote they aren't looking to sell instead of they would never sell". Yeah, sure. 

I get it, you think it was a categoric statement that he is staying, I don't and that was the comment I made. Someone asked me to explain why I didn't. Its called a difference of opinion.

The club and the local journos have got form for being careful with their words as the whole "active" target all summer ahead of Thiago's move led to a lot of people saying the English journos were out of the loop and had got it wrong in saying he wasn't a target for the club. 

13 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I get it, you think it was a categoric statement that he is staying, I don't and that was the comment I made. Someone asked me to explain why I didn't. Its called a difference of opinion.

The club and the local journos have got form for being careful with their words as the whole "active" target all summer ahead of Thiago's move led to a lot of people saying the English journos were out of the loop and had got it wrong in saying he wasn't a target for the club. 

No, I didn't say that at all. 

I just thought your interpretation of Pearce's article was ridiculous and I think it's ridiculous when supporters think they can deduce when an article is actually a negotiation tactic from a club or a smokescreen or that it actually means the opposite will happen based on a journalist's choice of words.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, I didn't say that at all. 

I just thought your interpretation of Pearce's article was ridiculous and I think it's ridiculous when supporters think they can deduce when an article is actually a negotiation tactic from a club or a smokescreen or that it actually means the opposite will happen based on a journalist's choice of words.

Two summers ago the German press were full of us being after Thiago and close to signing him.

The local journos spent most of the summer being careful with their words and inferring that wasn't the case. We signed the player.

If you still want to take them on face value, do that. I'll still keep an open mind.

6 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Two summers ago the German press were full of us being after Thiago and close to signing him.

The local journos spent most of the summer being careful with their words and inferring that wasn't the case. We signed the player.

If you still want to take them on face value, do that. I'll still keep an open mind.

I don't always take journos at face value.

I also don't pretend to know when they're being misdirected by the club based on some nonsense analysis of their sentence structure or choice of words in their articles.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't always take journos at face value.

I also don't pretend to know when they're being misdirected by the club based on some nonsense analysis of their sentence structure or choice of words in their articles.

If you don't analyse what they are trying to infer and what they are actually saying then good luck to you.

The fact that your analysis of what I have written is that I am saying the club are misdirecting the journos says it all.

• 5 weeks later...
On 29/08/2022 at 13:17, alles ist gut said:

What a phenomenal player he's been for us. Says a lot about social media that most of what would be found in any search for his name would be negative. 

He'll can still play a major part for us this season as Nunez settles in. 

The no-look thing against Bournemouth was brilliant too. 

• Upvote 2

It irritates me that our own supporters (on here) can’t see how good he still is. He probably needs a real goal streak for people to get off his back.

Our attacking play is so much more fluent with him than Jota/Nunez. I hope the latter two rotate more with Diaz than Bobby, and are used as impact players/subs.

Hard to fathom that someone described by Thiago as the most skilful player in the team has such a poor shooting technique (from long range) though…

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, lebron said:

It irritates me that our own supporters (on here) can’t see how good he still is. He probably needs a real goal streak for people to get off his back.

Our attacking play is so much more fluent with him than Jota/Nunez. I hope the latter two rotate more with Diaz than Bobby, and are used as impact players/subs.

Hard to fathom that someone described by Thiago as the most skilful player in the team has such a poor shooting technique (from long range) though…

Wtf? He has been stinking the place out for for the best part of two and a half season, your severely deluted. 

• Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The truth is that he wasnt very good tonight until he scored and was lucky not to be subbed. Played well after he scored though.

He wasn’t very good, but he was our best player by a country mile in the first half. As the game went on Elliott got better and better and gets man of the match from me.

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The truth is that he wasnt very good tonight until he scored and was lucky not to be subbed. Played well after he scored though.

There was far worse than him on the pitch he was never in danger of being subbed.  Saying that I thought he was alright given he was doing Henderson and Fabinho's job for them as well.

• Upvote 1