You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

That's the bizarre thing.  I never used to mind his poor run rate wrt goals and assists when he was contributing elsewhere 3 or 4 years ago.  Then his form went off a cliff and he was useless for years.  Now he's still useless in the area in which he used to be strong, with the ball bouncing off him, him giving it away cheaply, and being useless in tackling or intercepting, but he's managing to get on the score sheet.  We're going to have to rely on him for a while, so I hope he can continue finding the net, and let Jota do all the link work - he's far better at it, and far more mobile. 

Yeah, it's good timing for us given the Salah situation. If he's to excel at one, let it be the goalscoring for now. 

I think Bobby was written off prematurely by many. He's still only 31 and he played a colossal amount of football in recent years, including long-haul travel for international breaks and tournaments. There's definitely something sharper about him this time around, and it's not accidental. He looks revitalised.  

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, it's good timing for us given the Salah situation. If he's to excel at one, let it be the goalscoring for now. 

I think Bobby was written off prematurely by many. He's still only 31 and he played a colossal amount of football in recent years, including long-haul travel for international breaks and tournaments. There's definitely something sharper about him this time around, and it's not accidental. He looks revitalised.  

he's also playing a different role.  

1 minute ago, Funkasy said:

Hes not been written of prematurely, hes been awful for several seasons and its a blody miracle he has found the net so many times this season compared to earlier, lets hope he keeps it up and its not just a purple patch.

that's the more accurate appraisal.  Anyway, he's in the team, he's contributing positively, and let's hope it continues.

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Six goals, three assists. 

Only Haaland is averaging fewer minutes per goal or assist (42 minutes for him, 52 minutes for Bobby) in the top flight. 

Most other things have been negative, but Bobby's been sensational this season.

Hard to disagree. Ironically Mane would have prospered with Bobby's current form,I reckon.

It's hugely surprising you have to be blind or willfully ignorant to think Bobby has been anything other than mediocre to poor for at least two season. Bobby is my favourite player and he's having a blinding start to the season but I'd never offer him more than another single years contract, if that because this side needs to evolve. Everytime someone runs into good form you get people coming out the woodwork like every thing before hand never happened. If Keita came into the side and started to play well thered be calls for a contract extension ignoring 4 years of mediocrity and injuries. I'm made up Bobby's doing well but ill stick by his performances havent been great but around the box at vital times he has, hes earning his position. can't speak for tonight as I missed the second half but and we need to remember this Rangers side are truly shite, tonight we learn very little. The first half i did see was as bad as I've seen all season, we play like that against Premier league sides who won't tire as much in the second half and we drop points. We start like that against city and we will be humiliated.

Bobby was decent last season I thought, just was injured for a fair bit after he had a pretty good start, then rightly couldn't get back in ahead of Jota (initially) then Mane and/or Diaz.

I don't think his level has actually gone up that much this season from last, it's just that pretty much everyone else is miles worse so he is standing out.

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's hugely surprising you have to be blind or willfully ignorant to think Bobby has been anything other than mediocre to poor for at least two season. Bobby is my favourite player and he's having a blinding start to the season but I'd never offer him more than another single years contract, if that because this side needs to evolve. Everytime someone runs into good form you get people coming out the woodwork like every thing before hand never happened. If Keita came into the side and started to play well thered be calls for a contract extension ignoring 4 years of mediocrity and injuries. I'm made up Bobby's doing well but ill stick by his performances havent been great but around the box at vital times he has, hes earning his position. can't speak for tonight as I missed the second half but and we need to remember this Rangers side are truly shite, tonight we learn very little. The first half i did see was as bad as I've seen all season, we play like that against Premier league sides who won't tire as much in the second half and we drop points. We start like that against city and we will be humiliated.

Damned with faint praise.

• Upvote 1

On 13/10/2022 at 05:54, Bobby Hundreds said:

Not really sure what you point is. He shouldn’t receive credit for what he’s doing now because he wasn’t as good last season? 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Not really sure what you point is. He shouldn’t receive credit for what he’s doing now because he wasn’t as good last season? 

I'd imagine it's more "let's not pretend that he hasn't been pretty underwhelming for the previous couple of years just because he's playing well now".

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

I'd imagine it's more "let's not pretend that he hasn't been pretty underwhelming for the previous couple of years just because he's playing well now".

Improvements in form like this tend to be the exception rather than the rule, unfortunately. I'd just enjoy it for what it is in what has been a pretty bleak season so far. 

Just now, El Rojo said:

Improvements in form like this tend to be the exception rather than the rule, unfortunately. I'd just enjoy it for what it is in what has been a pretty bleak season so far. 

Bobby can't be dropped at the moment, but I wonder what the plan will be as we've seen Salah needs to be central now and obviously Nunez has to play.

I think Nunez will be on the bench, or playing wide left, on Sunday.