You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Bobby can't be dropped at the moment, but I wonder what the plan will be as we've seen Salah needs to be central now and obviously Nunez has to play.

I think Nunez will be on the bench, or playing wide left, on Sunday.

With Diaz out and Jota apparently not being ready for 90 mins against Rangers, I think it will be Bobby/Salah/Nunez. Christ knows how they line up, though. 

Will also be good to have Jota ready to come on. 

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

With Diaz out and Jota apparently not being ready for 90 mins against Rangers, I think it will be Bobby/Salah/Nunez. Christ knows how they line up, though. 

Will also be good to have Jota ready to come on. 

4-3-1-2 maybe. Not a million miles away from the 4-2-2-2 stuff we've seen a bit of recently. 

I'd be very surprised if we let him go. Might get a two-year deal or something. He still does the dirty work better than anyone. There was a noticeable shift in possession and City threatening us more through the middle once he went off. The positions he takes up and the way he harrasses the midfield players once they think they've evaded our press is still top notch. 

He's up there with my favourite players to play for the club, so I'm guessing I'm not neutral in the matter... I still think he has a big part to play both this season and the next couple. His game intelligence won't wane, even if (this might be a good idea) he has to be rested on occasion. Sunday is probably the least pleased I've seen him when being subbed off, but that was quickly forgotten when Salah scored. What an absolute legend, and a bigger team player you will not find in today's football.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, lebron said:

I'd be very surprised if we let him go. Might get a two-year deal or something. He still does the dirty work better than anyone. There was a noticeable shift in possession and City threatening us more through the middle once he went off. The positions he takes up and the way he harrasses the midfield players once they think they've evaded our press is still top notch. 

He's up there with my favourite players to play for the club, so I'm guessing I'm not neutral in the matter... I still think he has a big part to play both this season and the next couple. His game intelligence won't wane, even if (this might be a good idea) he has to be rested on occasion. Sunday is probably the least pleased I've seen him when being subbed off, but that was quickly forgotten when Salah scored. What an absolute legend, and a bigger team player you will not find in today's football.

I thought Bobby played well on Sunday, but I don't agree there was a noticeable negative difference when he went off. In fact quite the opposite. City had got us under the cosh at that point and we looked dead on our feet. Bringing on Nunez for Bobby gave us a different threat and relieved some of that pressure and Nunez became a very good out ball for us. Inevitably, as we scored in the period Nunez was on the pitch, they were pushing for a goal and we're trying to play on the break more, but I thought we coped with that really well because we were so effective on the counter during that period. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought Bobby played well on Sunday, but I don't agree there was a noticeable negative difference when he went off. In fact quite the opposite. City had got us under the cosh at that point and we looked dead on our feet. Bringing on Nunez for Bobby gave us a different threat and relieved some of that pressure and Nunez became a very good out ball for us. Inevitably, as we scored in the period Nunez was on the pitch, they were pushing for a goal and we're trying to play on the break more, but I thought we coped with that really well because we were so effective on the counter during that period. 

I thought the substitutions were excellent decisions….. Nunez stretched them with his running with and without the ball, and with better decision making would have made it a comfortable win in the end, Carvalho picked up where Elliot left off work rate-wise and made some clever passes, and Hendo helped maintain the defensive effort, replacing Fab’s tiring legs.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Agreed. The good thing about this formation, once Diaz is back, is that we can rotate Nunez, Jota, and Bobby without much of a drop off.

The same for the double 6. Thiago, Fabinho and Hendo can cover both positions without a drop off, and Milner probably copes better there too.

Keita becomes a non factor, and suddenly the need for 3 midfielders this summer isn't as necessary.

In the wide roles, Diaz, Elliott with Carvalho Oxlade and Jones as cover works in the system. It wouldn't in the 433.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DaveT said:

I thought the substitutions were excellent decisions….. Nunez stretched them with his running with and without the ball, and with better decision making would have made it a comfortable win in the end, Carvalho picked up where Elliot left off work rate-wise and made some clever passes, and Hendo helped maintain the defensive effort, replacing Fab’s tiring legs.

Yeah, those subs really worked - and the players played their part in that too, not just klopp making the choices. Carvalho especially I was worried about. I think he is behind Elliot in his work without the ball, but he was able to temper his natural desire to drive forward and managed to hold the shape that had been there with Elliot before him. 

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Agreed. The good thing about this formation, once Diaz is back, is that we can rotate Nunez, Jota, and Bobby without much of a drop off.

The same for the double 6. Thiago, Fabinho and Hendo can cover both positions without a drop off, and Milner probably copes better there too.

Keita becomes a non factor, and suddenly the need for 3 midfielders this summer isn't as necessary.

In the wide roles, Diaz, Elliott with Carvalho Oxlade and Jones as cover works in the system. It wouldn't in the 433.

I found our formation interesting actually. A lot has been made in the press post game about guardiola's set up and them flipping between 3 and 4 at the back (something actually I think they do all the time, but it's less noticeable when walker plays as everyone thinks of him as a full back and not a 3rd centre back, but he is absolutely a 3rd centre back at times). But we showed that same flexibility, there were times we looked like a solid 3 in midfield, a kind of Christmas tree as they used to call it - 4321, with Salah at the apex. But there were other period where Jota or Bobby would join Salah for long patches of the match and we looked more like a traditional 442 - where as in the other games so far I've felt it was a 424 rather than 442. Some of that flexibility and the deeper positions of the wide players might just be due with the quality of the opposition and wasn't as much by design as necessity as the game progressed. The players showed a lot of tactical intelligence on Sunday (including Elliot and carvalho, which is encouraging) and long may it continue - I think that has been a corner stone of our team under klopp that the team had the tactical maturity to solve problems in game without the manager needing to get involved. Let's hope we show it when we have more of the ball in the games ahead.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...