You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (H) - Sun 17th Dec 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Just now, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

Tsimikas was sound defensively but never really tried to get round the outside down the left. 

A good post in full, though this I can't agree with.  Tsimikas took up great positions high up the pitch on the left, ahead of the play, on probably a couple of dozen occasions.  Would Diaz look for him?  Would he fuck.  It's notable that the most dangerous cross that we played today was by Tsimikas on almost the sole occasion he was given the ball high up the pitch.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

I’m not. I’m going to bed thinking I’ve got to get up early for work tomorrow, when I can’t be arsed.

Luckily, or unluckily, I'm on all evenings so i can stew in my own self loathing for a while!

We'll all feel better tomorrow i suppose.

Cup of scald and I'll be grand by then.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I guess that result has been coming. Our performance level has not been good enough for the past month.

However, football is a mad game really. Most shots of any team in the league this season over 2 on XG. It’s just a case of a header or finish going left or right rather than down the slot.

The xG being that high is a function of peppering about 30  crap shots at the goal and it accumulated to that amount. The only real chances we had were from set pieces.

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

We were Trent 12 inches of accuracy away from winning the game. We’re second in the league. A point behind Arsenal. And we play them next.

image.jpeg

This is true, but the players need a real kick up the arse.

West Ham will give it to us if the coaches don't

7 minutes ago, stringvest said:

A good post in full, though this I can't agree with.  Tsimikas took up great positions high up the pitch on the left, ahead of the play, on probably a couple of dozen occasions.  Would Diaz look for him?  Would he fuck.  It's notable that the most dangerous cross that we played today was by Tsimikas on almost the sole occasion he was given the ball high up the pitch.  

Mo should have played him in first half for a one on one too, but shot instead

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, stringvest said:

we're not missing Robertson or MacAllister, and probably not Matip really.  I thought Gomez was bright again when he came on.  

Of course we miss them - personal biases against individual players aside, we’re down to about 13 outfield players at the moment. Let’s see how that goes for us over the next while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

He deserves the chance.

I guess he must not be showing in training, or Klopp may not think he has the physical presence or mobility to play a midfield role of the sort Szob plays.  Klopp must see that our number 8 is struggling - probably more mentally than physically tired.

Endo and Virg were the 2 stand outs for me.

Nunez is beyond thick stopping running for that ball in the area.

Alli as solid as ever - couple of saves to prevent us losing.

We’ve been playing like this for ages and people pointing it out are called hysterical fannies etc, but we will not win the league churning this level of performance out. Results are one thing, but we can’t maintain the level playing like that much longer 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, TheSire said:

I've thought this for a while tbh. His numbers and the eye test don't match up at all. I think with him it's a volume game, he will get plenty of chances so will always grab one + pens etc. He's lost a fair bit of pace though so we won't see as many where we counter and he gets in behind and doesn't get caught. One frustrating thing is how he never seems to put any power on anything, every pass or shot is hit like a feather.

When he was running onto the ball I knew he wouldn't get that at the end, he'd have been all over that shit a couple of years back and probably would have bagged a hattrick in a match like that. 

• Upvote 2

I thought this was the best we’ve played in a month. But that’s not saying much. Fings will get better if we introduce a bit of risk taking, going down the outside, being braver all round really. We have the players who can do it, they just need to try and do it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Rojo said:

Of course we miss them - personal biases against individual players aside, we’re down to about 13 outfield players at the moment. Let’s see how that goes for us over the next while.

I completely agree purely in terms of numbers, but not with regard to the first team.  If we played a midfield of Szob, Mac and Endo, we might be slightly better off, but that's assuming those players are in form.  

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Would go farther we are already seeing it. Too many players have played too many minutes already. 

I think tactics are as big a problem as anything else. 

Do we want to play with a right back? If we play Nuñez why do we insist on playing at the tempo of a legends five a side game? What are our wide players aiming to do? They don't actually beat players, nor do they provide service for the centre forward. 

We're absolutely miles away from the machine of five years ago, and are regularly being bailed out by Alisson and Van Dijk's return to imperious brilliance. 

Our points total, goals scored, and goals conceded, all look great. The performances, however, have regularly been awful. 

• Upvote 1