You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

On 06/09/2023 at 15:45, Burgess said:

I didn’t even hugely disagree with the van Dijk red. There will be similar that get a yellow but it was  hard to argue away - part of the reason we didn’t appeal I guess.

Would have been much interesting to hear the Mac Allister red as that was overturned and contentious- hearing that discussion would have been more valuable. 

I would also have liked to hear what went on in the Trent - Gordon three or four minutes . Why one was moving then ball was dissent the others wasn’t and why the second  incident wasn’t a yellow card. 

Picking some choice incidents yourself to aid transparency does the  opposite it’s like choosing your own audit - pointless and actually to me appears there’s more to hide. 

That last paragraph nails it. Refs get to mark their own homework by also being the VAR and the after doubling down on poor decisions, their boss then only allows transparency on issues of his choosing. The stuff from Michael Owen is a crock of shit. Group discussion, yeah right, like if you picked one he didn't want to cover, he would anyway. No chance. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NoelM said:

Michael Oliver is the ref too, I always thought he was okay until the game where Pickford tried to take Virgils leg off. 

Since then, after he had to apologise, he's given us nothing, same as all the others.

Oliver is probably one of the least offensive referees. his main faiing is he's not very good. yet still somehow better than many. 

• Upvote 1

Said this before - I always had a hatred for Jeff Winter because I thought he was a crap ref. But then saw a stat after he’d retired saying we’d never lost a league game he’d reffed. 

I can’t quite bring myself to want him reffing our games but it shows how bad these cunts are and how much their costing us now. 

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

There should be a very loud and persistent fuck off Tierney chant whenever that cunt is anywhere near one of our games. 

The same goes for Taylor, Brooks and the roided up twat.

Webb should get it regardless. 

As much as i agree with the sentiment, it would only serve to make things worse.

These cunts are beyond reproach in their own minds - players and managers can barely even question them now when they are being fucked over.

The heat between us as a club and the useless gets somehow actually needs cooling and then we might not be on the end of quite as much shite from them - it is a battle that sadly we can't win, and more noise around it and really noticeable hostility towards them will only see them close ranks even more and look to nail us even more.

27 minutes ago, an tha said:

As much as i agree with the sentiment, it would only serve to make things worse.

These cunts are beyond reproach in their own minds - players and managers can barely even question them now when they are being fucked over.

The heat between us as a club and the useless gets somehow actually needs cooling and then we might not be on the end of quite as much shite from them - it is a battle that sadly we can't win, and more noise around it and really noticeable hostility towards them will only see them close ranks even more and look to nail us even more.

I know mate, I'm just sounding off.

They've got us by the bollocks and they know it.

Bastards. 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Said this before - I always had a hatred for Jeff Winter because I thought he was a crap ref. But then saw a stat after he’d retired saying we’d never lost a league game he’d reffed. 

I can’t quite bring myself to want him reffing our games but it shows how bad these cunts are and how much their costing us now. 

I’d be delighted if the old pussyhound was reffing our games. He was crap but his crappiness fucked both sides equally. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Agreed. Far better if the club just wrote to Webb and nicely asked him to explain in writing the practice of allocating refs to games as we seem to have been deprived of the pleasure of experiencing the full range of their omnipotence.  

On 12/09/2023 at 16:40, Barrington Womble said:

Oliver is probably one of the least offensive referees. his main faiing is he's not very good. yet still somehow better than many. 

The thing is he was very good up until his Pickford brainfart. He was like a breath of fresh air - competant and not suspiciously partial to any one team, let alone obviously biased against us.

I was watching one of our matches on holiday a few years ago, and met one of the ex LFC women's players who is now a professional ref. It was interesting hearing her analyse Oliver's performance during the match, as it's stuff most of us will never appreciate because we quite rightly watch football for the players, not the officals. She said that on her ref's courses he was the poster boy, a cut above the rest, and the way she was explaining his performance it was clear that he had the brain for top level refereeing.

Sadly, as @NoelM stated, since the T-Rex fuck up, Oliver has been anything but neutral when he has officiated us. It goes to show, that even if you are technically excellent, a shit/ biased attitude will adversely affect games. PGMOL will undoubtedly assess him and say he has had a great game yet he will have let every important 50/50 go against us, fucked us over when he can get away with it, and then given a few obvious decisions in our favour at the end of the match - just so it lasts in the mind of the neutral that he was fair and even-handed.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Just looked it up, Rob Styles. Winter's off the hook.

One of the worst decisions I've ever seen though.

60 minutes if you want refreshing...

Didn't Styles have something to do with a driveway company that mysteriously got the contract for Abramovich's house after that game? I remember that floating around.

On 13/09/2023 at 02:13, lifetime fan said:

I watched  a podcast from so Mboro fans that he was on. He was quite funny and loves Gerrard.