You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

40 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I coach a kids football team and one of the local senior refs gets all the players and coaches together before kick off and explains to all now he's going to officiate the game. 

He very clearly states that any time wasting from goal kicks, throw ins, substitutes etc, there will be one warning to hurry up and then a yellow if it persists regardless if it's the first or last minutes of the game. He is good on his word also.

Why they cannot do this consistently in top flight football I don't know. I reckon most fans would be on board with it.

You’d think it’d be standard practice.  

• Upvote 1

I read today that Lee Mason is now a coach to the 'Elite Referees group'. He was awful when he was reffing and then got let go as a VAR because of the mistakes he was making and yet here he now is in a position of authority. Jon Moss the same. If you have demonstrable incompetents in charge, it should come as no surprise when the refs aren't up to much.

On 17/08/2023 at 03:34, Frank Dacey said:

I read today that Lee Mason is now a coach to the 'Elite Referees group'. He was awful when he was reffing and then got let go as a VAR because of the mistakes he was making and yet here he now is in a position of authority. Jon Moss the same. If you have demonstrable incompetents in charge, it should come as no surprise when the refs aren't up to much.

Those fat fuckers could never keep up with play either.

Just now, Lee909 said:

All well and good recinding it but it could easy have cost us 2pts had we not got the quick goal. Just as the no handball call has potentially cost us 2pts last week

Refereeing mistakes are deciding matches and costing teams points every week. The penalty the mancs were denied against Spurs was an even worse decision than the one we were robbed of at Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Refereeing mistakes are deciding matches and costing teams points every week. The penalty the mancs were denied against Spurs was an even worse decision than the one we were robbed of at Chelsea.

As was the one that didn't get given against them vs Wolves 

It's a quick game, and there's hundreds of millions of pounds at stake in each game through wages, league positions, advertising, betting.

I don't understand why the PL, or UEFA, or FIFA, don't prioritise correct decision-making more than they do.  

"We'd be here until 1am if we checked everything"

It's a common response, that there isn't enough time to ensure the right decisions are made. 

Fine.  Let's have 80 minute games with more VAR intervention. 

Or, ok, let's embrace the longer period of time games take to complete.  Fans pay enough, drag the experience out to 3 hours instead of 2. Throw a drinks break in each half, let the coaches do some work. 

But essentially the VAR experience is wrong and it needs taking away from the PGMOL.  VAR should be run by the TV companies, they'll do it quicker and better. Let the TV companies hire 'experts', and let us hear what they're talking about when they view it.  Could be ex-refs, could be foreign refs, could be ex players. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

But essentially the VAR experience is wrong and it needs taking away from the PGMOL.  VAR should be run by the TV companies, they'll do it quicker and better. Let the TV companies hire 'experts', and let us hear what they're talking about when they view it.  Could be ex-refs, could be foreign refs, could be ex players. 

That is wild! 

The TV companies wouldn't do it better.

They'd end up having the likes of Alison Hammond and Gemma Collins doing it!

11 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Totally agree VAR should be taken away from PGMOL. I've been advocating for ages that the refs and VAR should be completely independent of each other. Shouldn't know each other, or have even met. You may not totally rule out incorrect decisions but what you won't get is imbeciles backing each others idiotic decisions. I believe you are far more likely to come to the correct calls.

Most normal humans, (or trained chimps) could do VAR without too much trouble, yet our "elite" refs cannot for some inexplicable reason......

So the ref got it wrong. Mike Dean in the Sky studio got in wrong. Paul Tierney and his side kick got it wrong. Presumably,  as no apology was Forth Coming, South Yorkshires finest also got it wrong. Not a great look that, the only person coming out of it with any credibility is the young ref with no TV screen to help him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boz said:

Totally agree VAR should be taken away from PGMOL. I've been advocating for ages that the refs and VAR should be completely independent of each other. Shouldn't know each other, or have even met. You may not totally rule out incorrect decisions but what you won't get is imbeciles backing each others idiotic decisions. I believe you are far more likely to come to the correct calls.

Most normal humans, (or trained chimps) could do VAR without too much trouble, yet our "elite" refs cannot for some inexplicable reason......

Just release the audio the evening of every match, let's hear Paul Tierney's explanation of why Mac Allister should be sent off. When he hears himself sounding like a fucking thick he'll soon stop defending his mate and think about reaching the right decision. 

• Upvote 2

Mate sent me this.  It's from Facebook which I don't use.

By overturning the Mac Allister red card, the FA is admitting three things:

- their on-field referee made a terrible decision. AGAIN.
-
- the VAR system watched the replay 5 times and didn't do anything about the mistake. AGAIN.
-
- 4 referees together couldn't find a difference between a simple tackle and red card offense in 5 mins. AGAIN.
-
This put Liverpool in the danger of losing a game from a 2-1 lead, in a league so closely fought that Liverpool have recently lost 2 titles on the final day, by 1 point. Absolutely abhorrent and incompetent running of the sport with no plan for fixing it. It's the same thing every week and always affects Liverpool the most. But they will ban Klopp for 2 games instantly if he if speaks about it. Howard Webb should send an apology for this like he did to Wolverhampton, and Liverpool should publicly reject it.

Some of it comes across as 'bitter tears' (even if the point they are making is correct) but really not a good look for the FA & their PGMOL buds.  

11 hours ago, No2 said:

Just release the audio the evening of every match, let's hear Paul Tierney's explanation of why Mac Allister should be sent off. When he hears himself sounding like a fucking thick he'll soon stop defending his mate and think about reaching the right decision. 

They'd never do this, but clearly they should.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, No2 said:

So the ref got it wrong. Mike Dean in the Sky studio got in wrong. Paul Tierney and his side kick got it wrong. Presumably,  as no apology was Forth Coming, South Yorkshires finest also got it wrong. Not a great look that, the only person coming out of it with any credibility is the young ref with no TV screen to help him.

Mike Dean got sacked for being shit at VAR didn't he?

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Mike Dean got sacked for being shit at VAR didn't he?

No idea but I know Lee Mason did and now he's in charge of training them now. Fine job he's doing too.

It's mad when you step back and think of it, clubs are prepared to pay millions on players, billions on stadia and yet they accept stone age management of the implementation of the laws of the sport. Mike Riley was a weasel of a man, someone saw fit to put him in charge of all referees, this was a man that couldn't handle a game himself. A coward of a human being. 

Howard Webb may well be the best man for the job, I heard at a referee course before that on average he was closest in distance to all decisions made by referees across the season. He was capable of doing the job, however he worked for South Yorkshire Police. Biased, corrupt, none of the above, it doesn't matter, that associations relationship with one of the leagues members should preclude him holding the role he does. I don't think it even matters that the member in question is among the 2 biggest money generators.

There was a Spanish ref that was considered the best in Europe for awhile but he couldn't ref Madrid or Barcelona because he was from Madrid. Unfortunately for him,  Barcelona and Spain where winning all the big competitions so he never got to referee on the stage he probably deserved, that is life, Webb should face the same consequences. Maybe send him to Spain and send that Madrid lad over to the PL. 

I've got no issue with the on-field ref as the incident happened quickly and Ryan Christie made out he was fatally injured with several rolls. It's squarely on the VAR who thought or decided there was nothing to review. It just so happens that the VAR was Tierney who was a history of highly dubious decisions when it comes to our matches.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Haven't come across Tompkins in Donkeys years, god he's hardwork, 50,000 words to point out Tierney is a cunt. The obvious conclusion has always been Manchester refs shouldn't do Manchester teams, London refs shouldn't do London teams etc. Take the Manchester lads for example, imagine grabbing any 6 men in Manchester aged between 35 and 50 and asking what team they support. The odds on all 6 not supporting either Utd or City must be a billion to 1, yet that's the case for Manchesters finest referees.

The biggest issue I have with the piece is the lack of nuance. Klopp isn't a cheat, he doesn't want his team trying to get lads sent off, he doesn't want them diving for penos. Look at Saturday for example, Mac Allister is sent off and Gakpo is straight in ushering players away, accept the the decision lads. Utd, City and Chelsea have or had players that cry and cheat from whistle one, that's a huge factor in all those numbers. Take Drogba, Hazard, Grealish and Fernandez out of them stats and they probably even up.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Haven't come across Tompkins in Donkeys years, god he's hardwork, 50,000 words to point out Tierney is a cunt.

Yeah I thought similar

Never say something in 1 word that you can say with 10. 

We should be asking the PGMOL why Manchester refs are allowed to do Manchester clubs games but Merseyside refs can't do ours. Privately and publicly if they won't answer. It's a pisstake the amount of times a manc ref does our games with Manc clubs. Doesn't add up that all these manc refs grew up with Man U being the most successful club yet they all support non league sides