You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard would have stayed as squad player if offered coaching role

tlw content

I haven't seen much of Stevie playing for LA Galaxy but it's fair game to talk about his performance level. The MLS is nowhere near the quality of the Premier League, but what the players can do is run. Arguably Stevie is being shown up by lesser players who are not fit to lace his boots, because he can't cover the ground any more. 

Maybe when he left Liverpool something sort of died out in him, at least in terms of will and passion to play. Or then again, maybe it really is Old Father Time catching up with him, no more no less. 

I'm sure he is enjoying the sunshine and the lifestyle, but from a footballing perspective he might have been better off going to Italy - it's a higher level than the MLS, but it's much more technical, and not so dependent on kick and rush. 

It feels wrong to have Stevie's performance level critiqued by some numpty like this, but he's probably just saying what he sees, even if the phrases are quirky.

I'm sure he is enjoying the sunshine and the lifestyle, but from a footballing perspective he might have been better off going to Italy - it's a higher level than the MLS, but it's much more technical, and not so dependent on kick and rush. 

I thought this at the time. The MLS is technically poor, but physically demanding. A poor man's Premier League. What he needed was a slower league.

I've heard they have sunshine in Italy at times as well.

He didn't go there to play football, and his remaining footballing ability wasn't a factor in them signing him. Hardly surprising.

Pirlo's been hilariously bad. He doesn't even pretend to try. There's a great clip knocking around of him 'defending' the near post for an opposition corner last week. (Spoiler: They score at the near post).

It's all a massive crock of steaming shite. What's worse, they're making the exact same mistake that they did in the 1970s in producing a retirement home for former footballers rather than trying to boost their own domestic talent.

• Upvote 2

He didn't go there to play football, and his remaining footballing ability wasn't a factor in them signing him. Hardly surprising.

Pirlo's been hilariously bad. He doesn't even pretend to try. There's a great clip knocking around of him 'defending' the near post for an opposition corner last week. (They score at the near post).

Seen that. Totally not arsed.

Watch "Andrea pirlo checking the goal" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/VFX4n_VFGB8

• Upvote 5

It don't help Pirlo that New York City are awful, I watched a few of his first games because he's one of my favourite players ever, he's not or never has been the type of player who takes the game by the scruff of the next like Gerrard used to. He thrives with quality around him, on his wavelength, making good runs.

He has Villa and Lampard around him and neither has the legs to make the runs and the rest don't really know where to run. He does look incredibly shit playing for them, his trademark long range defence splitting passes tend to look like aimless Tony Pulis specials. It's mad to think that not long ago he started a Champions League final and still plays for Italy, I haven't watched them but I'm assuming he doesn't play so bad for them.

Is this the right place to moan that we got held up for about 20 minutes getting off a flight in the summer because they were letting Lampard and his Mrs off first as they didn't want the 'general public' bothering them. It still ranks in the top 10 highlights of my life that as the stewardess had her arm across holding us back from getting off I shouted 'NOBODY CARES' and I fucking know they heard it.

• Upvote 2

I live in the states (US citizen and all that). Nobody fucking says "goalshots". I have no idea where the hell that came from.

Give us a break, the words are changing.

Sorry, Travis, you're not getting a break. Now pass us the goddam Twinkies.

BT sport was so bad I looked for an 'international' stream at half time on Saturday.

I found one on Astro sport or something with an american co-commentator. 

After 30 seconds he'd already pronounced offside as OFFside and defence as DEfence.

I was wilting, then he used the term OHffence instead of attack, and I was back with Mr Owen and Trevor fucking Francis within seconds.