You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard would have stayed as squad player if offered coaching role

tlw content

This too comes across as a petty dig at Benitez.

I am not a Benitez fanboy,but think he has said the right things in response.

Gerrard,through his book,has said some stupid things that dont need to be said.

I remember reading Gerrard's first book and it was bland and boring so they are obviously trying to overcome that. Also serialising it in the Daily Fail has compounded the mistake.

what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.  They're both at fault, and none of it needed to be said.  It's hardly news.

In a dark, dark town there was a dark, dark street
and in the dark, dark street there was a dark, dark house,
and in the dark, dark house there were some dark, dark stairs
and down the dark, dark stairs there was a dark, dark cellar
and in the dark dark cellar….

Steven Gerrard lived

In a dark, dark town there was a dark, dark street

and in the dark, dark street there was a dark, dark house,

and in the dark, dark house there were some dark, dark stairs

and down the dark, dark stairs there was a dark, dark cellar

and in the dark dark cellar….

Steven Gerrard lived

One of Brendan's slums?

Gerrard said: “I’ve never been able to say this in public before but I was seriously concerned that we thought we could blow Chelsea away. I sensed an over-confidence in Brendan’s team talks. We played into Chelsea’s hands. I feared it then and I know it now.”

Gerrard also recalls the moment he was told he would not be in the starting lineup against Manchester United last season. Gerrard was used as a half-time substitute in the game but was sent off just 38 seconds after his introduction for stamping on the United midfielder Ander Herrera – and he reveals in the book that he came close to venting his displeasure at Rodgers himself.

“A sudden lump formed in my throat,” he said of the conversation in the manager’s office earlier in the week. “I had a split-second decision to make. Do I have a go at him?”

Advertisement

Elsewhere in the book, Gerrard discusses his role in keeping Luis Suárez at the club in the summer of 2013. The Uruguay striker appeared set to join Arsenal, only for Liverpool to turn down the London club’s bid and keep Suárez at Anfield to spearhead that title near-miss.

Gerrard recalls texting Suárez to ask: “Luis, what’s going on here? We need to straighten this out.” The pair talked at training the next day and then met with Rodgers, with Suárez eventually persuaded to stay on Merseyside. He scored 31 league goals that season before leaving for Barcelona last summer.

Gerrard also describes being deployed to attract transfer targets to Anfield and claims he was asked by the club to “take a crack” by text at both Alexis Sánchez, before the Chile forward’s move from Barcelona to Arsenal, and the Germany midfielder Toni Kroos, who ultimately left Bayern Munich for Real Madrid.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/25/steven-gerrard-liverpool-brendan-rodgers-overconfidence?CMP=share_btn_tw

Really, really not sure what to make of Gerrard at the moment.

It's one thing to criticise Rodgers, it's another to point a finger at him in that Chelsea game when we were all over them until Gerrard made a massive individual error.

Same with the United quote. Mate, you came on the pitch and got sent off straightaway. I don't care how poor a decision it was to drop you, you don't do something that fucking immature as Liverpool captain.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Same with the United quote. Mate, you came on the pitch and got sent off straightaway. I don't care how poor a decision it was to drop you, you don't do something that fucking immature as Liverpool captain.

Speaking to Bt he acknowledges the United sending off was his fault and he apologised after the game. He's a pretty honest fella.

Very much sounds like if Gerrard did not smooth things with Suárez the relationship would have went the way of Reina and Agger, Sahin etc.

Brendan’s relationship with Luis had broken down. I don’t think it was Brendan’s fault. Luis wanted to move on, to play Champions’ League football and he had people in his ear and people around him forcing him to make moves that maybe he didn’t really want to do," Gerrard explains.

"I think it was just a case of being in the middle and trying to heal that relationship with him and Brendan and get him training with the first team again and just chatting to Luis and saying to him, is it Arsenal that you really want or do you want Real Madrid or Barca?"

"I knew, deep down that him and his family wanted Barcelona rather than Arsenal… For me and all the Liverpool supporters and Liverpool people it made no sense at all, him going to Arsenal because it would have made them an awful lot stronger. When you lose someone like Luis Suarez it makes you an awful lot weaker, so for me, I was prepared to do anything it took to try and make that not happen."

Really, really not sure what to make of Gerrard at the moment.

It's one thing to criticise Rodgers, it's another to point a finger at him in that Chelsea game when we were all over them until Gerrard made a massive individual error.

I suppose Rodgers told Gerrard at half time to shoot every time he got the ball in the second half, panic and lose all sense of patience.

He can be extremely thick at times.  More Hodgson loving as well.

Ongoing proof, if it were needed, that a brilliant football brain and a brilliant brain are generally distinct and separate things.

He's veering dangerously close to Ashley Cole levels of self-awareness by unfairly trying to pawn off two of his more high profile mistakes on Rodgers, a man already under siege.

It's served him quite well keeping his gob shut for the past fifteen years.

Just like for United fans it must be a bit disheartening to hear the monosyllabic brain-dead utterances of Scholes after he had a bit of mysticism about him.

Likewise with Gerrard. Such a great player but clearly not a deep thinker.

As amazing a player as Gerrard was for us, I wouldn't have him in a management set up. I've not seen anything in his make up off the field that would make me think he'd be a great manager. If it was to happen, I would hope it would be after a suitable spell managing other clubs to learn his trade.

• Upvote 1

He's spot on about that Chelsea game. We had the ball but they were the only side to threaten before the slip.

Should have settled for the point that day.

Stevie's having an "I confess, it was his fault" moment here but the truth is slip or no slip we had an entire half to get one fucking goal at home, in a season when we score for fun when we were this close to the title.

It's hard to play for 0-0; anything can happen, an OG, a dodgy penalty, a slip. We needed a goal and the best we could up with in the second half was Stevie taking pot shots from 25 yards. That's where the failure in tactics cost us the title and continues to cost us points - we can't break anyone down when they set their mind to defend.

• Upvote 1