You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

This wasn't in that category though was it? He dives to stop the ball, with his hand away from his body, and stops the ball with his hand. That is a penalty. 

On precedence this season, I agree, that's a totally justifiable penalty.

4 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

28 league games played since that shit show against Watford at end of February. 

15 wins. 

5 losses. 

8 draws. 

We've become pretty mediocre... 

Some of those results were after we got crowned Champions. We could have lost every game after it got confirmed and it wouldn't have mattered.

I know we are all pissed off tonight, but I think calling the team mediocre is too harsh. It's a testament to them that Liverpool are even still in the mix despite all the injuries and poor decisions against us this season.

4 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

As you said scoring 7 against Palace was probably a bit more than our performance deserved. I actually thought the first half down there was pretty poor, but we took our chances. After that confidence grew, and Palace fell completely apart.

We’re totally off form, and I reckon there must be a number of reasons. Confidence is starting to disappear as well, and the result is all of those fine margins suddenly are against you. Our attackers looked like they were trying too hard in the second half  tonight, instead of playing more relaxed and by instinct in and around their box.

I reckon it’s a combination of reasons behind our drop in form, and it’s not necessarily easy ti fix fast. But I think we’d make it a hell of a lot easier for ourselves if we had more quality and continuity in central defence.

Yes, our finishing was beyond brilliant in that game. Unsustainable to the max. Now, we're essentially seeing the opposite, but that's common in football. You just don't see finishing that is that consistent. 

Which is why the bigger issue is that we've essentially been average in all aspects since about March of last year. The defending, pressing, control of matches, overall mentality... It’s all out of wack. 

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

In fairness, they seem to have eased up on those handball decisions compared with a month or so ago.

Which of course is inconsistent, and unfair.

My view is the handball decisions they were giving earlier in the season were ridiculously harsh.

But you can't change tune halfway during a season.  Unfair.

The annoying thing is you won’t have to wait too long for VAR to award a similar one 

Just now, Stickman said:

That Everton game is the one that fucked us up this season in more ways than one ....

I guess the grocks will look back on that game in years to come as their most memorable derby  since the Graeme Sharp one 

Yeah - I sorta agree. 

Two bang average players tried to end the careers of two of the worlds best.

Hard to know what to pin this recent run on.

We're struggling in the centre back department, and it's changing the way we set up and how we can get our full backs and attackers into the game. We aren't playing with anything like the intensity we are capable of. We haven't been able to utilise our summer signings to add real impetus to the squad thanks to injuries to all of them (Diogol was doing very well prior to his injuries. Mo's form seems to have fallen off a cliff since he did that interview with a Spanish journo. Sadio has lacked his usual zip and threat ever since getting a titty lip after being subbed at Palace. Bobby just doesn't do anything with conviction once he gets into a good position.

Today, we looked like the side that failed to score in 4 different games against the Saints in 2016/17. They had Big Virg at the back at the time, and were able to keep us at arm's length in all the games. We struggled to get in behind in the league game at St Mary's, and again at Anfield where Millie missed a penalty. Both games ended goalless. In the League Cup semi, we were absolutely battered at St Mary's but came away with just a 1-0 defeat. Karius kept us in the tie. In the second leg, we were utterly toothless before being undone on the break in stoppage time by that yard-dog Shane Long.

4 minutes ago, Jennings said:

The ref was nothing to do with us not winning hat game.

Come on, that's too simplistic. Yes we were poor in the first half, no one, I think disputes that. What you're saying is in a 1-0 game where it's decided by a penalty kick that the ref has nothing to do with the result?

2 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I actually didnt think that was a penalty. The mancs would’ve gotten it probably, but no other teams. 

Erm, but that's the whole point. United are being awarded pens that arent and helping them win games ie Villa, while we're not getting the same.

Clearly united shouldnt be getting these types of pens then all would be reasonably good. Sorry to disgaree but I thought all 3 were good penalties for us tonight. If they'd been given and converted and 'stole' the 3 points, that would be another debate.

• Downvote 2

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Come on, that's too simplistic. Yes we were poor in the first half, no one, I think disputes that. What you're saying is in a 1-0 game where it's decided by a penalty kick that the ref has nothing to do with the result?

Mate, I love your posts, but I don't understand your point. There was no penalty. There was no clear case for a penalty. 

• Upvote 2