Quantcast
Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00

Brings back childhood memories - it was unusual hearing a song like that on the radio as a 9 year old in "Abba" times (1976).

We went to St Mary's in August 2019 for our first away game of last season, and came away with all 3 points thanks to two well-taken goals from Sadio and Bobby. Ings reduced the arrears for the Saints late on thanks to a (characteristic) mistake from Adrian in goal - the keeper totally oblivious to the fact he is shit on the ball, passing it straight to the former Liverpool man to rebound the ball into the net. It was to be the first of a catalogue of errors from the Spanish keeper over the course of the season.

Our first ever win at St Mary's came in January 2003. We had gone 11 games without a win in the league at this point, with all sorts of defensive catastrophies (Dudek's spill to gift Forlan a goal) and utterly shit results (a goalless draw at home to, and then defeat at, a dreadful Sunderland side). Heskey claimed the only goal with a header from a free kick, but the win was merely papering over a few sizeable cracks. As was the League Cup run that would end with us claiming the trophy by beating the Mancs 2-0 in Cardiff a month or so later. The Heskey goal is around 7:45 in this vid.

The early noughties were the era of manufactured bands on reality shows. They gave rise to probably the biggest British girl band of the decade, Girl's Aloud. They released "Sound of the Underground" as their debut single, hitting the number one spot just before the new year and staying there for 4 weeks. It isn't actually that bad a song (they had better) and they were fuckable, which is basically all you need from a girl band.

We go into this Southampton game off the back of two poor results and two very mediocre performances. I think Klopp and his coaches have dialled back on the intensity to help cope with the injury situation, but the problem is we look dysfunctional without that intensity. We could get a game like the Palace one just as easily as we could get a game like the [insert any crap away performance] one. At this point, who can be sure which Liverpool team will turn up? Our midfield options have increased with the return of several players from injury but we are still short at centre back. If the club have to bring forward their summer plans for defensive reinforcement to January, then do it. Two of our 3 main options are out for the season, and the third is in and out through injury all the time so we can't plan around him. Anyway, back to the game, and I'm hoping we can bring some control, precision and clinical ruthlessness to our play and get 2021 off to a good start.

• Upvote 3

Just now, aRdja said:

Alison; Trent, Williams, Fabinho, Robertson; Thiago, Gini, Ox; Shaqiri, Mane, Salah

No Hendo?

32 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

No Hendo?

Rest him for this one. He’s been playing loads. 

Two shit results on the bounce is very disappointing; a third would be genuinely worrying.

Southampton have got some decent players who can hurt you, if you let them. But we've got better players all over the park. If we're on our game, we should swat these aside.

Just get these beat, Reds. 

16 minutes ago, suzy said:

I really hate Monday night matches!

What's the background goss on Jurgen , Suzy. Why aren't you getting in the match day squad anymore.?

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

What's the background goss on Jurgen , Suzy. Why aren't you getting in the match day squad anymore.?

I don’t want to talk about it! 

26 minutes ago, suzy said:

I don’t want to talk about it! 

You say that now , but you will no doubt turn up in Marca fluttering your eyelashes at Barca and Real.

I’m concerned about tomorrow because we’ve had a decent break over the Xmas period. We always seem to look sluggish and slow when we’ve had a decent few days off.

Before the West Brom match I think we’d 8 days to prepare. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, sir roger said:

You say that now , but you will no doubt turn up in Marca fluttering your eyelashes at Barca and Real.

Never!

I've got my usual 4 tenner bets down here, not sure I should asked for the draw for the first time ever, nah I think we'll get the result, Saints aren't exactly finding the net. 

Hard to fancy us on our current form - hopefully we will not perform to our current form.

They haven't won for 4 games but 3 of them have been draws and they have only let in 2 goals in those 4 games, only scored 1 as well.

Want to see a reaction here from us to two really poor results....that West Brom result is fucking criminal.

• Like 1