You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00

Bjornebye

There needs to be a bit of perspective on where we are, and Klopp and the squad have definitely earned the right to not be subjected to reactive nonsense from some of our fans.

At the end of the day, goals change games, and Ings flukes one in while we had no such luck on the other end.

Yes, the midfield selection was poor. Yes, Rhys Williams in there with Hendo further forward wouldn't have made us much worse. Yes, we were very poor first half.

But we were playing 2 midfielders in central defence.

We saw the players heads drop the minute Matip pulled up against West Brom, and it seems as though they may now be feeling sorry for ourselves.

And who can blame them?

We had to overcome the injuries to VVD and Thiago. Then the shock defeat at Villa. Then the injury to Gomez. Then the injury to Alisson. Then the injury to Jota. And all of those at vital, testing times.

And my, how we overcame these. Clear at the top of the table. Clear favourites for the league title.

Matip was probably the straw that broke the mentality monsters' collective back. It was the most obvious injury to come, but the last one we would have wanted.

What happened before Matip was always going to catch up with us at some point, even with the best of luck.

Lady luck then put on her strap on, and shafted us big time.

And to have the table tilted heavily in Southampton's favour from the get go from an incompetent, and perhaps corrupt, official, was clearly going to have an impact on how we performed.

Aside from what's been spoken about already, I particularly enjoyed how their gormless keeper kept fouling our players and getting free kicks for the pleasure.

I can't imagine how deflated the players must have felt after every shocking decision was quickly followed by another.

We're in a good position still, and although we need a bit more luck, and possibly a signing or 2 to get us back to our dominant best, I still believe in Klopp and this squad.

• Upvote 11

Agree with m0e 100%. You can tell that the players are feeling the world's against us by the way we picked up two cheap bookings for retaliation after fouls on us were over-looked again. 

Jurgen's got a big job on his hands lifting their spirits and that complicates things for the FA Cup. I assumed he wouldn't play anybody who we couldn't afford to get injured but maybe now he'll think we need a win to boost confidence. The Manc game could turn out to be just what we need to galvanise things in the league.  

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, aws said:

Agree with m0e 100%. You can tell that the players are feeling the world's against us by the way we picked up two cheap bookings for retaliation after fouls on us were over-looked again. 

Jurgen's got a big job on his hands lifting their spirits and that complicates things for the FA Cup. I assumed he wouldn't play anybody who we couldn't afford to get injured but maybe now he'll think we need a win to boost confidence. The Manc game could turn out to be just what we need to galvanise things in the league.  

We never seem to play well after players have had a break and i feel players need to get some confidence back - the club needs it!....and another defeat at Villa would regardless of it being a reserve team hurt us further.

For those two reasons i say go strong v Villa and try and get some good feeling going, and even if that does not happen at least we have rhythm - something this team needs...don't fancy playing the vermin cold.

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

The second foul on Mane was a clear penalty. Walker-Peters clearly catches his legs from behind. If anyone thinks that wasn’t a penalty Dr Anubis prescribes my patented Acid Eyeball Wash which will remove both the shit from your eyes and also your eyeballs because you don’t deserve to watch any further football.

Kind Regards

Dr Anubis

Carragher definitely needs this eye wash.

He was on MNF yesterday saying Walker-Peters pulled out of the tackle and Mane is the one who kicked him.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Of course. Just aSky disciple now.

If he was on Sky and not talking shite, that would be fine.

People take the piss out of Owen, and his funny voice, and his calling Man Utd "us", but his punditry towards us, and others, is excellent by comparison.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, skaro said:

If he was on Sky and not talking shite, that would be fine.

People take the piss out of Owen, and his funny voice, and his calling Man Utd "us", but his punditry towards us, and others, is excellent by comparison.

Hate the way Carragher talks, his mouth contorts like a gurner. Ugly to watch.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

I’m surprised that Ward Prowse isn’t with a bigger club at this stage. He’s always impressed me.

He's good. Would be a perfect fit here too, in our right centre mid position. Has a contract till 2025, though. He might be one of those Southampton lifers like Le Tissier. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, m0e said:

There needs to be a bit of perspective on where we are, and Klopp and the squad have definitely earned the right to not be subjected to reactive nonsense from some of our fans.

At the end of the day, goals change games, and Ings flukes one in while we had no such luck on the other end.

Yes, the midfield selection was poor. Yes, Rhys Williams in there with Hendo further forward wouldn't have made us much worse. Yes, we were very poor first half.

But we were playing 2 midfielders in central defence.

We saw the players heads drop the minute Matip pulled up against West Brom, and it seems as though they may now be feeling sorry for ourselves.

And who can blame them?

We had to overcome the injuries to VVD and Thiago. Then the shock defeat at Villa. Then the injury to Gomez. Then the injury to Alisson. Then the injury to Jota. And all of those at vital, testing times.

And my, how we overcame these. Clear at the top of the table. Clear favourites for the league title.

Matip was probably the straw that broke the mentality monsters' collective back. It was the most obvious injury to come, but the last one we would have wanted.

What happened before Matip was always going to catch up with us at some point, even with the best of luck.

Lady luck then put on her strap on, and shafted us big time.

And to have the table tilted heavily in Southampton's favour from the get go from an incompetent, and perhaps corrupt, official, was clearly going to have an impact on how we performed.

Aside from what's been spoken about already, I particularly enjoyed how their gormless keeper kept fouling our players and getting free kicks for the pleasure.

I can't imagine how deflated the players must have felt after every shocking decision was quickly followed by another.

We're in a good position still, and although we need a bit more luck, and possibly a signing or 2 to get us back to our dominant best, I still believe in Klopp and this squad.

Some perspective:

96j9xct3vj961.jpg

We're still quite good going forward and the finishing will likely turn around. We need to get the CB issue fixed and be mentally sharper, though. 

• Upvote 1

On 05/01/2021 at 09:02, Bobby Hundreds said:

Shit as we were and deserving of the loss, the mane incident and the handball are both penalties this season. Its fucking outrageous that pogba penalty was given and pundits defended it yet ours weren't given and the pundits defended that. The inconsistency has completely corrupted results and therefore the game. The fact the inconsistency consistently benefits one side and hampers another begs questions. Put penalties and free kicks to one side the amount of fouls that are allowed to be committed against salah and Mane and be completely ignored when compared to whats given against other players is obscene. The club needs to make a video package highlighting inconsistencies and send it to the Premier league asking for reasoning because no way is this a case of "it all evens out" we are being officiated by different rules, mane and salah especially are being officiated by different rules.

I don't listen to or give a shit about pundits but I do want competent referees,which is definitely not a thing.