You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Newcastle 1 Liverpool 2 - Match Reaction

tlw content

Darwin Nunez came off the bench late on and produced two stunning finishes to give the Reds the most dramatic and unlikely of victories at St James after a wild game packed with incident.

Chris Smith is joined by Paul Natton, John Gallagher and TLW Editor Dave Usher to discuss one of the most dramatic games of the Klopp era. Lots to get through including Trent's nightmare first half, Virgil's red card, some bizarre decisions by Jurgen in the first half followed by some inspired ones in the second. And of course Dave takes a victory lap after his boy came good. He's a peacock, you've gotta let him fly! 

View full article

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

• dave u pinned this topic

Just noticed on Darwin's second how he shifts his body to let the ball run so it's on his right foot. Great pass from Salah but many would have taken a touch with the left foot, Darwin twisted himself to get himself right.

Great pod, captured the excitement 

• Upvote 2

Loved the podcast. 

I have laid into Darwin’s technique since he arrived. And it’s a huge slice of humble pie for me. 

Those finishes were superb. And what a time to do it. Fair play to Stig and Dave who had his back throughout. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Loved the podcast. 

I have laid into Darwin’s technique since he arrived. And it’s a huge slice of humble pie for me. 

Those finishes were superb. And what a time to do it. Fair play to Stig and Dave who had his back throughout. 

In fairness, Stig would have the back of a black snake with a festered arse - but only if you held its head.

• Upvote 1

Bloody brilliant result. Haven’t felt that kind of magic for ages, and oh how I’ve missed it. So many gritty performances all over the pitch in that second half. Bloody heroes all of them, and those two finishes from Darwin were the icing on the cake. Great summation guys, thanks for your input.

• Upvote 2

Great Pod again, pissing myself at the Myra Hindley reference.

On Virgil's red card and the subsequent  reaction I couldn't disagree more with Paul. I've no issue with the red in isolation but it wasn't in isolation. That referee rode us against Villa, the decision to give a yellow to Mings was a disgrace. Virgil has every right to defend himself and the club, he clearly calls him a joke of a ref and he is. That shove on Trent was shameful refereeing. The ref, the lino and the 4th official all had a clear view of that. That was in the 2nd minute, the cunt was blatantly sending a message that we're gonna screw you again. The speed he had the cards for Trents and Virgil was concerning too, he couldn't wait to get the cards out. I'm delighted Virgil gave him a piece of his mind.

My 2nd point would be around the criticism for Klopp in the first half. Diaz had to be taken off, it was a straight choice between him and Cody, Gakpo is 2 foot taller than him and we needed him in Virgil's absence.

Finally on Trent, he's been there before,  I'm fairly certain he had an early yellow against Sane and Rashford and dealt with both very well. It's a ballsy decision to keep him on but again its a no brianer. If it goes 2 nil then hook him and keep the score down. While we still have intentions of winning the game we need Trent on the pitch.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Great stuff lads, was about to go to bed last night just as the pod was uploaded. Fuck it, let’s have another beer. Bit groggy today.
At a push, he’s more Torres than Suarez. Gotta be the first time we’ve made 5 subs and they have all been a 7/8 outta 10.

Love this!

Great podcast. I do have an issue with the contributions who continually complain about this new system Klopp started using towards the end of last season. We were on a wretched run, we looked out of ideas and were getting beat often. People kept complaining that the 433 had been found out and Klopp needed to try something else.

He then did with this new system which has seen us unbeaten in 16 games with 11 wins. That's a massive improvement on the previous shite. A good number of those 16 games were also tough games against good opposition. 

Every system in football has positives and negatives. No system is perfect. People who continually complain about this new system have to admit we've been better since we started using it. And rather than stubbornly ask for the team to scrap it completely, let's focus on the merits and see how it can be improved because based on results and performance, it's worth sticking to.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Great podcast. I do have an issue with the contributions who continually complain about this new system Klopp started using towards the end of last season. We were on a wretched run, we looked out of ideas and were getting beat often. People kept complaining that the 433 had been found out and Klopp needed to try something else.

He then did with this new system which has seen us unbeaten in 16 games with 11 wins. That's a massive improvement on the previous shite. A good number of those 16 games were also tough games against good opposition. 

Every system in football has positives and negatives. No system is perfect. People who continually complain about this new system have to admit we've been better since we started using it. And rather than stubbornly ask for the team to scrap it completely, let's focus on the merits and see how it can be improved because based on results and performance, it's worth sticking to.

And most of the goals we have conceded since it was put in place have had zero to do with the formation, and been when we are defending with 4 at the back. 

Great pod.

I can’t say I’m a fan of the new system (mostly because it relies on a currently inconsistent Trent having a good game) but the results and performances so far are definitely better than the old system. Maybe it’ll work more smoothly when everybody gets more used to it (or Trent sorts his head out). If not, I guess we’ll switch back and hope that the new midfield will make the old system work again. 

A lot of fight and belief shown yesterday and a host of great performances.  Zob looks a hell of a player so far. Gomez looked rock-steady. Endo was quiet but ok I thought. There are going to be games which won’t suit Darwin but we have to find a way to play him most weeks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

Who “continually” complained or asked to “scrap it”? I didn’t hear anyone doing that. 

My problem is that we haven’t signed  the players we need for the system to work at its best and we’re not obviously using it to accommodate Darwin. 

I love tactical innovation and specifically Klopp’s, but I’m annoyed that we’ve had our stall set out for this going way back into last season but are going into the last four days of the summer rebuild with big gaps in the squad. 

It’s not about money; it’s about the capacity of our recruitment team to get the job done. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Who “continually” complained or asked to “scrap it”? I didn’t hear anyone doing that. 

My problem is that we haven’t signed  the players we need for the system to work at its best and we’re not obviously using it to accommodate Darwin. 

I love tactical innovation and specifically Klopp’s, but I’m annoyed that we’ve had our stall set out for this going way back into last season but are going into the last four days of the summer rebuild with big gaps in the squad. 

It’s not about money; it’s about the capacity of our recruitment team to get the job done. 

Recruitment "team", who's that then?

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Klopp, Fallows, Hunter, the temp, whoever. Everyone who works in recruitment. Am I missing something?

Nah it was a comment on how no one seems to know what anyone really does behind the scenes these days and what Shmadtke's job is etc.

Thinking on though, they've got the job of Szobo and MacAllister done and nearly everyone seems happy with them so there must be capability there? 

(general question, not specifically directed at you Paul)

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic