You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which signing is your biggest letdown

Bjornebye

Most of the players mentioned in this thread were signed for small sums. Those that weren't, we're found out for being shit quite quickly & didn't actually play that much. But, in terms of games played & transfer fee payed. Glen Johnson should be up there.How the fuck has he gotten away with it for so long? I know we have the usual suspects like Diao, diouf, Downing, Carroll etc but at least they didn't stick round that long.

Most of the players mentioned in this thread were signed for small sums. Those that weren't, we're found out for being shit quite quickly & didn't actually play that much. But, in terms of games played & transfer fee payed. Glen Johnson should be up there.How the fuck has he gotten away with it for so long? I know we have the usual suspects like Diao, diouf, Downing, Carroll etc but at least they didn't stick round that long.

Johnson hasn't always been shit is why. It's hard to remember sometimes but Nov 2011 when he ran through the Chelsea defense to net the winner was special.

Johnson hasn't always been shit is why. It's hard to remember sometimes but Nov 2011 when he ran through the Chelsea defense to net the winner was special.

Apart from the odd decent game, for me, Johnson has been shit since we got him, the odd flourish which seems to change people's opinion of him. Goals v West ham & Chelsea DO stand out but HES A FUCKIN DEFENDER, and a shit one. I remember Cheyrou scoring a winner v Chelsea too.

Apart from the odd decent game, for me, Johnson has been shit since we got him, the odd flourish which seems to change people's opinion of him. Goals v West ham & Chelsea DO stand out but HES A FUCKIN DEFENDER, and a shit one. I remember Cheyrou scoring a winner v Chelsea too.

I'm no fan but his strength was running at defenses and either putting in a decent cross or cutting inside to create chances. It was never as  defender. Whilst he managed to fulfill the attacking role his shortcomings at the back were forgivable .Now of course he is a liability, constantly losing possession. Still don't think he was that bad when we signed him or for a a number of years afterwards. Look no further than Carroll for a marquee signing that was a waste of space..

I'm no fan but his strength was running at defenses and either putting in a decent cross or cutting inside to create chances. It was never as  defender. Whilst he managed to fulfill the attacking role his shortcomings at the back were forgivable .Now of course he is a liability, constantly losing possession. Still don't think he was that bad when we signed him or for a a number of years afterwards. Look no further than Carroll for a marquee signing that was a waste of space..

It take your point, but this is whole Glen 'but he's good going forward' is, and always was a bit if a myth. That was supposed to be the best part of his game but it was never actually that good. As has already been mentioned, people will remember him for that goal V Chelsea, almost forgetting about the rest of the shite he served up. Yes he WAS quite skillful & could dribble but his final ball was always a bit shit. I think our fans were blinded by the fact he was shit because he LOOKED the part but all the time he just flattered to deceive.

I would never have mentioned him as one if our biggest letdown signings, but when thinking about it, selling Arbeloa & getting him in to improve the RB position for big money & big wages. That fraud has took more out of our club than any of Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing etc. He's done more than thieve a fucking toilet seat from us.