You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which signing is your biggest letdown

Bjornebye

Forget how much we paid or obviously Carroll stands out.

For me it is Babel. I remember watching him for holland u21's in the European championships when arsenal were linked with him wondering why we cant sign someone like that. He was class all tournament.

We signed him, i was expecting him to be as good as henry.

Fuck me what a letdown

• Upvote 1

Litmanen was before his time, criminally under appreciated by Houiller. What made it more bizarre was the quality he showed when he played and after every one of these games he was benched for the next one, it made no sense.

For me the biggest letdown was Diouf, and it wasn't because he was a cunt, or because he was a very limited footballer, it was because of what might of been had we opted for Anelka.

• Upvote 1

There's been so many but off the top of my head Collymore and Babb. Both appeared to have so much more in the tank but seemed incapable/reluctant to give it. Having said that, I thought Keane and Leonardson would be a great signings for us. Incidentally, a while back while listening to Talkshite in a friends car it proclaimed 'we;ll be back after the break with former Liverpool legend Phil Babb'..This made me feel very angry toward the person who'd said it (Danny Kelly, I think) I considered getting out of the car at the traffic lights and randomly murdering a complete stranger or, failing that, applying for a job in advertising.

• Upvote 1

There's been so many but off the top of my head Collymore and Babb. Both appeared to have so much more in the tank but seemed incapable/reluctant to give it. Having said that, I thought Keane and Leonardson would be a great signings for us. Incidentally, a while back while listening to Talkshite in a friends car it proclaimed 'we;ll be back after the break with former Liverpool legend Phil Babb'..This made me feel very angry toward the person who'd said it (Danny Kelly, I think) I considered getting out of the car at the traffic lights and randomly murdering a complete stranger or, failing that, applying for a job in advertising.

https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/482790140977614848

Ince. Although I was young enough and naive enough to believe all that shite about 'last piece of the jigsaw' that was doing the rounds at the time. Roy Evans' side was deemed to be a good footballing side but with a soft underbelly and that was something Ince was supposed to help solve.

Litmanen was before his time, criminally under appreciated by Houiller. What made it more bizarre was the quality he showed when he played and after every one of these games he was benched for the next one, it made no sense.

For me the biggest letdown was Diouf, and it wasn't because he was a cunt, or because he was a very limited footballer, it was because of what might of been had we opted for Anelka.

Anelka for me is probably the biggest miss the club has had in my time of watching us, a world class striker who we could of had years of service from and I fully believe we would have been in the cl a lot more had we got him.

There was shit loads of opportunities to get him back aswell and I wanted him everytime, the jan window we signed morientes, the summer window after that were souness nearly got him at newcastle and then finally whenever Bolton got him.

Morientes was another disappointment for me as well as I loved watching him at Monaco, with no wingers here it was always going to be difficult for him.

• Upvote 1

Aquilani - I spent 4 months in Italy and watched him numerous times. When we signed him I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Him not making it here was gutting for me. I thought (and still think) he's a superb player. Maybe at a different time it could have worked. Sad times.

Collymore is a good shout as he should have been boss but his attitude stank.

But making a call I'd say Kewell I remember being so pumped by his signing getting his name on the back of a jersey. Last time I ever did that as well. I guess I probably jinxed him.