You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/286620-information-for-fans-who-purchased-2017-18-coutinho-replica-jerseys

“Liverpool Football Club is to offer supporters who bought a 2017-18 replica shirt printed with Philippe Coutinho's name and number a £50 voucher, once the move is completed.“

Credit to the club. They don’t have to to this.

You still need to present the receipt. Unless you buy online, who the fuck is going to have a receipt from 8 months ago? It's an empty gesture to illicit that exact response. And as the club charge about ten or 15 quid a shirt more than the local sports shops, chances are they'll still be in profit on Coutinho shirts alone. What sums it up to me, is my little one wanted a shirt and was going to have Coutinho because her little mate had that I told her that was stupid as you can't trust Liverpool to keep their best players, just get your own name and nunber. That was in April/may before all these rumours start. Her 1st reaction yesterday was "poor Joe".

• Upvote 1

Do you remember when Keegan left and we got Kenny? Be great if we could do something like that, highly unlikely but great

I love Kenny to bits, but his majestic playing skills are probably a bit too dusty at this stage.

I’d still have him in before Markovic. Or Wijnaldum in an away game.

Jürgen Klopp offered his reaction to the news Liverpool Football Club have today reached an agreement with FC Barcelona for the transfer of Philippe Coutinho, subject to the player passing a medical and agreeing personal terms with the La Liga side.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: “It is with great reluctance that we – as a team and club – prepare to say farewell to a good friend, a wonderful person and a fantastic player in Philippe Coutinho.

“It is no secret that Philippe has wanted this move to happen since July, when Barcelona first made their interest known.

“Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his teammates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.

“Despite that, we managed to keep the player here beyond the summer window, hoping that we would be able to persuade him to stay and be part of what we are looking to do.

“I can tell the Liverpool supporters that we, as a club, have done everything within our means to convince Philippe that remaining part of LFC was as attractive as moving to Spain, but he is 100 per cent certain his future – and that of his family – belongs at Barcelona. It is his dream and I am now convinced there is nothing left at our disposal to change his mind.

“Philippe has made a fantastic contribution to this club over his five years of service and as disappointed as we are he doesn’t want to extend that, the relationship we have for him means with a heavy heart we wish him well.

“The player remained dedicated and committed to helping us win matches, producing good performances and training hard each day at Melwood after the summer window had closed, despite failing to convince us to allow him to leave during that period and that level of professionalism reflects positively on him.

“Of course, it is totally understandable that supporters will be disappointed; this is always the case when you have to say goodbye to someone special. But, as hard as it is sometimes to accept, it is part of life and part of football – individuals have their own dreams and their own goals and objectives in life.

“Players will come and players will go, that is football, but as a club we are big enough and strong enough to continue with our aggressive progression on the pitch, even when we lose an important player. We have never been in a better position in recent times, as a club, to react in the right way. We will use our size and strength to absorb moments like this and still move forward.

“I have been here long enough now to know in the history of Liverpool, key players have left before – but the club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.

“I have so much belief in the talent we have here already and even more faith, together with our owners, that we will make continued investment into the playing squad, which will allow more growth and more improvement.

“So as we bid farewell to Philippe, we continue on our path of progress and development as we work towards our common goal of bringing trophies back to Anfield.”

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/286597-jurgen-klopp-on-philippe-coutinho-transfer

Reckon he was pissed when he wrote that.

• Upvote 2

Gotta be honest here...I couldn’t give a solitary flying fuck about this romantic spiel that somebody has written on behalf of Klopp. I think I could have predicted 80% of the sentiments said in it before reading it. “We did our best”, “club is bigger than any player”, “confident in our squad”, bla fucking bla, yawn fucking yawn.

“The club always goes on”. What the fuck has it gone on to do in the last decade? Absolutely fuck all. Stop fucking repeated this bullshit line, every top player that has left us has an embarrassment of silverware, whilst our lack of silverware is an embarrassment itself.

The only thing I, and any Liverpool fan, should give a fuck about is who we are buying this month. Save your fucking romantic bullshit PR spin. It’s a disgrace we seemingly do not have somebody lined up doing their medical right now. But it will be a fucking abomination if we do not buy somebody by the end of January. AOC and Lallana will not provide enough creativity in an already mediocre midfield, which will stifle our attackers and leave us looking pretty toothless. We sabotaged the first half of our season by not buying a defender, and we have sabotaged the second half by selling our best player.

Here is a spoiler: we won’t buy a single player. Which means we have just willfully sacrificed our chances of winning the Champions League, FA Cup and maybe even getting top four. Yes, I said willfully, because despite whatever the club comes out and says, it was OUR CHOICE to sell our best fucking player.

What is the point of toiling over every point, hoping your rivals drop points, urging the team to score and win, when the people who the club seem so fucking nonchalant about the idea of winning?

You hysterical twat

• Upvote 6

Except he is. Yourself, Stringy & Lallana's ma are the only ones who think otherwise.

to be fair, he's massively stepped up this year, and the inconsistency and crap performances that we've seen from him in previous years seem to have been reduced.  But you're right, I don't think he is as good as the toppermost of the poppermost.

Except he is. Yourself, Stringy & Lallana's ma are the only ones who think otherwise.

Its not necessarily about how good the player fits into the team,its system and his role in it. Coutinho is miles better than Lallana as a player but Lallana,it can be argued fits just as well into the side. The question marks over Lallana are less about ability and more about fitness,or lack of. Coutinho didn't have too many injuries and I do think we need to replace him but not necessarily for a like for like player. Can's move,Henderson and Lallana's lack of fitness mean we will be light on bodies for the rest of the campaign. This is probably the biggest criticism of FSG doing the transfer now.

It wouldn't be rushing as we've had a smidgen of an inkling that a replacement would be required for the past six months.

So let's not see any old tripe about panic buying. There's been ample time to identify targets. And if no targets have been identified, we shouldn't have fucking well let him go.

Yes, yes and yes.

• Upvote 1

I'll just say I was very disappointed when the deal went through over the weekend. It took the edge off the Bitters game,  I cannot accept it was impossible to negotiate a deal with Barca whereby he stayed at Anfield for the remainder of the season,  I do not expect any sort of replacement to arrive this window either,  Who the fuck lets their best player leave halfway through the campaign whilst we are still fighting on thee fronts, Barca have La Liga nailed down and Coutinho is cup tied in the CL, Baffled and quite angry about the whole thing tbh

• Upvote 1

He should do what he thinks best with his knowledge of the situation. I trust his judgment much more than your bleating. Ain’t that right, Big Virg.

He's not infallible. He's made mistakes before and he's made his biggest one here. There is no situation where selling Coutinho mid season when Spurs are 3 points behind us, and not bringing in a replacement, is smart judgement.

He's not infallible. He's made mistakes before and he's made his biggest one here. There is no situation where selling Coutinho mid season when Spurs are 3 points behind us, and not bringing in a replacement, is smart judgement.

I think his overwhelming incompetence in the summer was worse, isn’t it Big Virg.

Wait for the right player. No half measure