You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

Even more so if we do not buy anyone, playing with fire if we think we won't miss him for the rest of the season fine margins he could of been the difference between 2nd to 4th in the league

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

More worryingly the difference between 4th and 6th....

Guest Pistonbroke

On the barcelona website it says coutinho has a 400m buyout clause.

Fucking hell.

Just taking the piss after PSG fucked them over. Mind you, the Whinging Catalan bastards got 200 million for him. 

Guest Pistonbroke

You don't have to play a CL qualifying round but apart from that fuck all IMO

That's been changed now though. All 4 spots in the PL go straight into group stage. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Exactly. I was just testing you. You passed. Well done. 

Where's my medal?***

Typed that and had my Mutley voice going on in my mind. 

That's been changed now though. All 4 spots in the PL go straight into group stage.

Yeah - a couple of million quid a place in prize money is the only difference now.

I would say the concern about losing him is about being the difference between 4th and 6th than 2nd and 4th

Guest Pistonbroke

Yeah - a couple of million quid a place in prize money is the only difference now.

I would say the concern about losing him is about being the difference between 4th and 6th than 2nd and 4th

Yep, but I'm still confident our squad is strong enough to finish top 4 after the addition of VVD, plus if these Mahrez rumours are true I'll be happy enough. Plus who knows if we'll be in for anyone else before the window shuts.

I honestly can't see the club lashing out 75 on VVD and the pre signing of Keita and what that will cost to dip out on CL football next season. IMO the Mahrez signing would make sense and looks like a Klopp decision. We'll find out over the next few days I suppose.

VVD, Mahrez, Salah, Chamberlain, Robertson and maybe one more in, Keita done and dusted for summer.

Coutinho and a few dross players out.

I'd be happy enough with that, especially if we strengthened further where necessary come the summer. 

I guess I am in the minority not being to bothered by the loss of Phil. I hope he reaches all his production goals so we get our full fee.

If VVD means that we ship one less goal per game, then we won't need to rely on a wonder strike from 35m to salvage a draw anymore.  

For me, I think Phil is more often than not bullied out of the game for long periods, and I don't think its a stretch to believe that fsg could get some one in with 75% of his offense and a vast upgrade in defensive capability. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, but I'm still confident our squad is strong enough to finish top 4 after the addition of VVD, plus if these Mahrez rumours are true I'll be happy enough. Plus who knows if we'll be in for anyone else before the window shuts.

I honestly can't see the club lashing out 75 on VVD and the pre signing of Keita and what that will cost to dip out on CL football next season. IMO the Mahrez signing would make sense and looks like a Klopp decision. We'll find out over the next few days I suppose.

VVD, Mahrez, Salah, Chamberlain, Robertson and maybe one more in, Keita done and dusted for summer.

Coutinho and a few dross players out.

I'd be happy enough with that, especially if we strengthened further where necessary come the summer.

Got no problem with the situation if a good chunk of the coutinho money is used for a keeper and a replacement.

If it isn't then we know the clubs ambitions are not being raised.

Every player should start having buyout clauses in their contracts, it’s stops shit like the past summer from happening, which with all the money floating round the Premier League will happen more often where clubs will keep a player at a club they don’t want to be at and have him sulk like Van Dijk or force him to stay and have him leave anyway mid season. If the players agent has set his buyout too high then that’s his own fault and it’s tough luck. Like for instance if Coutinho had a clause for say £150m and Barca chose not to pay it in the summer then they’ve let Coutinho know they don’t want to pay it and he stays until someone’s willing to pay or Barca paid up fully in the summer and we’d have had £150m to spend on Lemar/Virgil/Keita.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Got no problem with the situation if a good chunk of the coutinho money is used for a keeper and a replacement.

If it isn't then we know the clubs ambitions are not being raised.

Aye, that is where most of us are, I reckon. 

Long way to go in January, which makes a change from us selling a player just before the end of the window. Owners have no excuse to be at least strengthening the squad further after PC's exit. 

It won’t be easy spending this money efficiently in January.

I won’t be complaining bitterly about FSG if the bulk of the money remains in our account until the summer.

We seemingly had little choice but to sell, he would have downed tools and been of no use to us.

I’ll look forward to watching him at Barca, though I’m dubious about how his style will fit in with his penchant for taking players on and blamming shots from 35 yards. That’s not the midfielder they’re looking for to replace Iniesta, they want a calm passer and mover to create chances for Messi, Suarez and Dembélé.

Could be wrong, but I think he’ll have to yield to Messi, things like free kicks won’t be his any more.

It won’t be easy spending this money efficiently in January.

I won’t be complaining bitterly about FSG if the bulk of the money remains in our account until the summer.

We seemingly had little choice but to sell, he would have downed tools and been of no use to us.

I’ll look forward to watching him at Barca, though I’m dubious about how his style will fit in with his penchant for taking players on and blamming shots from 35 yards. That’s not the midfielder they’re looking for to replace Iniesta, they want a calm passer and mover to create chances for Messi, Suarez and Dembélé.

Could be wrong, but I think he’ll have to yield to Messi, things like free kicks won’t be his any more.

Didn't do Suarez any harm not taking free-kicks. This is a big step up in his career. He will undoubtedly improve as a player and be a success there.

Didn't do Suarez any harm not taking free-kicks. This is a big step up in his career. He will undoubtedly improve as a player and be a success there.

He’s a very special player in that ‘8’ position, but not all teams operate with one.

Coutinho s biggest strength was opening up tight games with a goal. He had licence to do that from deep with us, especially with free kicks.

He’s a very special player in that ‘8’ position, but not all teams operate with one.

Coutinho s biggest strength was opening up tight games with a goal. He had licence to do that from deep with us, especially with free kicks.

Doing a disservice to his creative ability but I take the point about goals. It all depends on where he plays. Barca have been playing a 4-4-2 at times with Iniesta on the left and Paulinho on the right. If he starts on the left in that system he'll have license to shoot pretty often I'd think.