You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

What do you mean by this? Everton will always be our biggest rivals imo. I realise we have other rivalries that are less to do with geographical location (although without doubt there's an element of that with the team from Salford), but Everton will always be our rivals. Our first aim of every season should be to finish above Everton. I enjoy derby wins more than any other, unless there's more than 3 points riding on it. 

I think a big point is that they aren't really rivals of ours in terms of challenging against us for anything of relevance other than bragging rights. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

What do you mean by this? Everton will always be our biggest rivals imo. I realise we have other rivalries that are less to do with geographical location (although without doubt there's an element of that with the team from Salford), but Everton will always be our rivals. Our first aim of every season should be to finish above Everton. I enjoy derby wins more than any other, unless there's more than 3 points riding on it. 

I'm not that interested in us aiming to finish mid table every season. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I think a big point is that they aren't really rivals of ours in terms of challenging against us for anything of relevance other than bragging rights. 

I'm not saying they're not rivals, but in my opinion, they've long ceased to be our biggest rivals. As @Bjornebye has said, their only relevance is only for bragging rights, and they've had a very weak grip on those in recent times.

Yes, they beat us for the first time in fucking years when we were absolutely on our hands and knees in the midst of the worst home run in our history and an unprecedented injury crisis. Not that would devalue their massive win in their eyes. So, a big whoopdidooo to them, they won a battle, but they've not won The War for 34 years. While we didn't win it ourselves for 30 is long documented, but we won everything else at least once, sometimes twice including the biggest there is to win.

There's no right and wrong in this, and one opinion is not going to change the bigger picture.

2 hours ago, belarus said:

I’m interested to know who these 2 teams are - @Captain Howdy have you got a link mate? I can’t find anything about that. 

My thinking is that he’s a childhood Real fan isn’t he, so that probably means the teams would be Atletico and Barca?

Can’t find one either mate but I definitely remember it, I’m sure he said two English clubs as well but I couldn’t swear to that. In any event I’ve had my say , I’ll never dislike him but I’m disappointed in him taking on that shower, l’ll leave it at that.

26 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Can’t find one either mate but I definitely remember it, I’m sure he said two English clubs as well but I couldn’t swear to that. In any event I’ve had my say , I’ll never dislike him but I’m disappointed in him taking on that shower, l’ll leave it at that.

That’s fair enough. The mind does boggle if you’re right on which 2 English clubs that would be. United for sure, but he’s been at Chelsea and is off to Everton, so I don’t think he would say no to them either to be honest.

I love Rafa for the champions league win and the 08/09 nearly year - best team I think we’ve had in my opinion since the end of Dalglish in 91. 

I did have some gripes with some other things with him towards the last couple of years, but that’s long forgotten with me and his Hillsborough support has been amazing. He seems to have mellowed and softened these days too. A family man and a role model.

My emotional attachment to the game is all but gone and has been for a while now anyway, so him going to that lot would mean the square root of fuck all to me anyway. Hence forth Rafa, get paid

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

"How am I doing boss?"

20210627_192858.jpg

Missus wanted to go for a drive earlier and we ended up going to see this because she wanted some pictures of it. The Graham Sharp one is .... well I don't know what the fuck it is

DJI_20200916_134704_496-scaled.jpg

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

1 hour ago, Chocoholic said:

I'm not saying they're not rivals, but in my opinion, they've long ceased to be our biggest rivals. As @Bjornebye has said, their only relevance is only for bragging rights, and they've had a very weak grip on those in recent times.

Yes, they beat us for the first time in fucking years when we were absolutely on our hands and knees in the midst of the worst home run in our history and an unprecedented injury crisis. Not that would devalue their massive win in their eyes. So, a big whoopdidooo to them, they won a battle, but they've not won The War for 34 years. While we didn't win it ourselves for 30 is long documented, but we won everything else at least once, sometimes twice including the biggest there is to win.

There's no right and wrong in this, and one opinion is not going to change the bigger picture.

But this is the thing about true rivals. They're rivals regardless of league position. So based on the idea they're a bit shit, do you think city and Leicester are now bigger rivals than Everton? There's just more to being a real rival for that. For me we have 2 rivals, Everton and the Salford lot, of which Everton are the biggest, although I realise at times, especially when the Salford lot were winning, it felt differently. Everyone else are passing distractions. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I support United twice a year. I am with Barry they are our first rivals and our closest. Beating them trumps the feeling of beating United. But, i do agree that beating United is often more meaningful! 

Yes, I think if you are from the City then without doubt they are the biggest rivals but only because we have to live with the fuckers. They have become a joke of a club though and are not a meaningful rival in a sporting sense.....our fault naturally.

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yes, I think if you are from the City then without doubt they are the biggest rivals but only because we have to live with the fuckers. They have become a joke of a club though.....our fault naturally 

Haha - yep. Living with them day to day you realise that Catcher isn't unique. They're all fucking deluded. 

25 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yes, I think if you are from the City then without doubt they are the biggest rivals but only because we have to live with the fuckers. They have become a joke of a club though and are not a meaningful rival in a sporting sense.....our fault naturally.

But this is my point, league position has little to do with rivalry. There's just more to it. Geography plays a part, history plays a part and occasionally league position adds to that. 

No, Leicester, Chelsea, Man City, or anyone else will never qualify as rivals, no matter how much they may seek to cultivate that image or narrative. Only Everton and 'the Salford lot' as you call them will ever be described as such.

As far as them playing each other is concerned, they're not each other's rivals, but I certainly wouldn't be supporting Utd against them twice a year. Fuck that. A dull draw with both losing, with a war of attrition of injuries is what both deserve.

• Upvote 2

Why do people think this one prick on social media printing shite is even worthy of acknowledgement? 

Just as an aside. I was at my nephew's after communion get together yesterday,my Brother in Law is a Burnley supporter and obviously football was being discussed mainly between him and my two LFC supporting sons. There was no ill will or anything and other teams were discussed. My brother in law just says right out 'Everton fans are strange aren't they? They think they are far bigger than they are,but they are nobodies.' This came from a total neutral too.

• Upvote 2