You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

16 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Cleaver. 8/10. Horror is not usually my thing, but I thought this was really good. It's about a wiseguy with a big mouth and bigger dreams. Danny Baldwin is very adept as the boss and I thought the cinematography was on point. The 90 minutes just flew by and the final shot of the sacred and the propane resonated with me.

I heard it was originally meant to star his brother Billy, whatever happened there? 

Class. Early 80's US teenage prep school romp/Graduate rip off with Andrew McCarthy and Rob Lowe. 4/10

It's not sure whether its a comedy or a drama and ends up failing at both. You spot the plot twist a mile off and it's all as  predictable as hell. The plus points are Jacqueline Bisset being an uber-milf, a very young John Cusack setting the template for every John Cusack performance to follow, and you get to see one Virginia Madsen's dirty pillows. 

Apart from that, bog-standard fare.    

Mr Holmes - Ian McKellen plays an ageing Sherlock Holmes living retired on the south coast and struggling with his last case and fading memory. It's sympathetic to the character, takes time unravelling the story and is generally quite a gentle film. 7 out of 10

Greed - Thinly disguised biopic of Philip Green with Steve Coogan and David Mitchell. Fun but also felt like a bit of a missed chance to really savage scumbags like Green. Coogan is clearly enjoying being the biggest prick on the planet but Mitchell doesn't get enough to do. There are some stats about wage inequality in Asian countries at the end that felt tacked on when the film only brushes on during it's runtime. 6 out of 10

32 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Lore (2012) - German film. Follows a family of blonde haired blue eyed kids as they make their way across Germany at the end of world war two, after being left in the country by their doomed Nazi parents. Not a war film, but a film set during war. Recommended.

7/10.

image.png

Will try to watch that.

5 hours ago, Stickman said:

You should check out Infamous with Toby Jones playing Capote...It’s a film that came out around the same time and tends to get overlooked but actually I prefer .
I’m not saying Jones is better than Hoffman but I guess he’s easier to understand and Jones is pretty much brilliant no matter what he’s in ...

”If a Brussel sprout could talk that is how it would sound”

I will. Fab clip...

"John."

"Wayne?" "Northfield?" "Kennedy?"

"Huston. John Huston. The director." 

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Lore (2012) - German film. Follows a family of blonde haired blue eyed kids as they make their way across Germany at the end of world war two, after being left in the country by their doomed Nazi parents. Not a war film, but a film set during war. Recommended.

7/10.

image.png

I quite like the look of "The Captain" on Prime but it advertises it as being 3 hours and 58 minutes, which is a slog.

Elsewhere it's advertised as  118 minutes though.  Anyone seen it?

Watch The Captain | Prime Video

10 hours ago, Stickman said:

You should check out Infamous with Toby Jones playing Capote...It’s a film that came out around the same time and tends to get overlooked but actually I prefer .
I’m not saying Jones is better than Hoffman but I guess he’s easier to understand and Jones is pretty much brilliant no matter what he’s in ...

”If a Brussel sprout could talk that is how it would sound”

That's a good film, haven't seen the other mentioned. 

His voice in it as you said. 

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I quite like the look of "The Captain" on Prime but it advertises it as being 3 hours and 58 minutes, which is a slog.

Elsewhere it's advertised as  118 minutes though.  Anyone seen it?

Watch The Captain | Prime Video

Thats very good. I saw the shorter version though. 'Der Hauptmann' is the German title I believe.

15 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Thats very good. I saw the shorter version though. 'Der Hauptmann' is the German title I believe.

It is mate, i watched it on Prime last night. I worked out the scenario with the run time as well. It's basically the black and white version followed by the colour version.  Because the b & w version is the default one that runs first, that's the one i watched.

It was a very good depiction of corruption by power. Very harrowing in parts. Love a good WWII film though. 8/10

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Outstanding. 9.8/10.

Watching the credits rolling, Tony Scott (among others) co-produced it and Ridley Scott (among others) produced it. Maybe that's why it was overlooked at the oscars as it didn't have any aliens or lots of slow motion explosions.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Just finished watching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Outstanding. 9.8/10.

Watching the credits rolling, Tony Scott (among others) co-produced it and Ridley Scott (among others) produced it. Maybe that's why it was overlooked at the oscars as it didn't have any aliens or lots of slow motion explosions.

One of my favourite films. Every aspect of it is brilliant. Casey Affleck just amazing.

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

One of my favourite films. Every aspect of it is brilliant. Casey Affleck just amazing.

I watched it on Amazon Prime and as I started watching it, the screen showed a fact about the film; it's Brad Pitt's personal favourite film that he has appeared in. Whether that's still the case I'm not sure but he clearly holds it in high esteem. It is fantastic, it doesn't feel like a 2hr30min film.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

I watched it on Amazon Prime and as I started watching it, the screen showed a fact about the film; it's Brad Pitt's personal favourite film that he has appeared in. Whether that's still the case I'm not sure but he clearly holds it in high esteem. It is fantastic, it doesn't feel like a 2hr30min film.

Never knew that

The score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis is outstanding and I love Cave's cameo as the bar room crooner singing The Ballad of Jesse.

Decided to follow it with the 1966 spaghetti Western Django from 1966. Wretched voice dubbing and so far out there but clearly paved the way for more films to follow in it's footsteps. I've posted a picture of Silvana Bacci in the Retro Beauties thread.

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Never knew that

The score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis is outstanding and I love Cave's cameo as the bar room crooner singing The Ballad of Jesse.

That was Nick Cave? He has a good voice. I've never listened to much of his music, just one with Kylie I think.

The overall score was fantastic, as was the cinematography. Superbly played out too by the cast. Brad Pitt seems to raise everyone around him, possibly one of the most under-rated actors in Hollywood. He's a million miles away from being type cast.

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Have Nick Cave and Warren Ellis won an Oscar yet? 

Absolutely no idea mate.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That was Nick Cave? He has a good voice. I've never listened to much of his music, just one with Kylie I think.

Yup, Cave is fantastic.

One other thing I love about that film, helped obviously by the long running time, is the ominous feeling of dread which slowly builds throughout. In many ways it mirrors Jesse's mood and only the pull of a trigger alleviates that feeling, albeit temporarily, until Ford's own mindset seems to match that of his erstwhile hero.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That was Nick Cave? He has a good voice. Iate 've never listened to much of his music, just one with Kylie I think.

The man is incredible. Best consistent run of quality of all time for me. From the late 70s to now it's all great. There's no shite filler at all. From punk rock to heartfelt ballads, novels, soundtracks, whatever. Man is a fucking genius and I can only assume that Satan owns him forever eventually. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Absolutely no idea mate.

Yup, Cave is fantastic.

One other thing I love about that film, helped obviously by the long running time, is the ominous feeling of dread which slowly builds throughout. In many ways it mirrors Jesse's mood and only the pull of a trigger alleviates that feeling, albeit temporarily, until Ford's own mindset seems to match that of his erstwhile hero.

Yeah, plus it really poses the question: if you were Ford would you have shot Jesse James. He appeared to disarm himself as a show of submission as he realised the brothers who he tried his best to trust were with him as he found out about his gang-mate. Fabulous juxtapositioning.

Just now, cloggypop said:

The man is incredible. Best consistent run of quality of all time for me. From the late 70s to now it's all great. There's no shite filler at all. From punk rock to heartfelt ballads, novels, soundtracks, whatever. Man is a fucking genius and I can only assume that Satan owns him forever eventually. 

I guess I'd better give him some attention.

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

He paid a price when one of his twin sons leapt to his death, off that cliff a few years back.