You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luton (A) - Sun 5th Nov 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

A visit to Luton in the league for the first time since 1991 then. They were relegated in 1991/92 so missed out on the big increase in TV money the advent of the Premier League brought about. That game at Kenilworth Road came very early in the season. Barnesy was out injured so Steve McManaman was playing in his place, and had made a very bright start to his Anfield career in a team some way off looking like title challengers unlike in decades gone by. The game itself finished goalless as we couldn't finish, with Macca and especially Ronny Rosenthal having our best chances. The other Steve Mc was sent off late on having been deemed to have thrown an elbow in the face of his opponent. The Luton player's reaction looks more like the sort of shithouse reaction we see from modern-day players. We struggled for goals in the league all season, only scoring 47 in 42 games, so a 0-0 at Luton seemed about right.

Kenilworth Road remains a throwback of a stadium. Small, cramped, uneven and nestled in amongst rows of terraced houses. Indeed the away end has metal staircases overlooking peoples' back gardens. They spent a little bit of money on expanding one of the stands which was previously just a row of executive boxes. Now it has seating, a camera gantry and a roof. Mercifully there is no plastic pitch. I imagine it has some sort of modern ticketing system so the ID card scheme of the 80s is one thing they've retained in a roundabout way. They still have a following of little Englander knobheads too. They've had a tough start to life back in the top flight, and it's been evident that while they've tried their hardest, there is a huge gulf in quality between them and the sides deemed to be regular Premier League dross, never mind those merely destined for mid-table mediocrity. 

For us, I think the same names unavailable for the past couple of games will remain unavailable. Lucho's situation means his mind will understandably be elsewhere. Curtis has served his suspension so is available in the league once more. I would think Jurgen will go full strength for this one in order to ring the changes for the Toulouse game next Thursday. No idea what the weather will hold, and certainly no idea if PGMOL's finest will revert back to fuck-Liverpool-over mode, but our players need to guard against this game turning into a 3rd Round cup tie against lower division opposition (think of the 5-3 cup tie in 2006 when Xabi scored a pea-roller from his own half!). In those games, the refs give a lot of leeway to the underdog to go full alehouse, the weather tends to play havoc, not allowing a better team to control a game, and the underdogs always have a player who can throw the ball further than they can hoof it. Motivation, concentration, attitude and application need to be tip top from minute one through to the end. Be wary of the potential pitfalls but play to our strengths. 3 points please. Get it done!

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

No complacency because these are tremendously shite. 3 points is 3 points don't fuck it up against those you shouldn't and the season will go well. These beat Everton who are the rising stars of Merseyside, we need to be on it.

Dropping points against these would mightily piss me off and they don’t fucking want that. Be warned Jurgen.

They lost their first two games by 3 goals, to Brighton and Chelsea. In their next 7 they either lost by one (3 times), drew (twice), won (once) and lost to Villa 3-1, last time out. 

They are struggling but aren't getting hammered at all. I'd take a 1-0 now. 

3 minutes ago, Razoray said:

They lost their first two games by 3 goals, to Brighton and Chelsea. In their next 7 they either lost by one (3 times), drew (twice), won (once) and lost to Villa 3-1, last time out. 

Yeah, and after we had a mid-week game far away, where the players had to be driven back.

11 hours ago, Razoray said:

They’ll be formidable opponents.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Tommy Yaxley Robinson flag shagging chavvy shithole bastards. Consign them to hell. Or just win 3 nil, Salah hat-trick. 

No goal for Darwin? And you pour scorn on MY claim to be his biggest fan? 

Show some faith for God's sake.