You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (H) - Sun 3rd Sep 2023 (2:00pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

Villa have been pretty strong since Emery took over. He had a slow start to his Villa career but began to pick up good results as last season wore on. This season began with a drubbing at the hands (well they are the only ones still likely to have theirs!) of the Saudi sportwashers, but Villa have found some form since then, and new signings Diaby and Torres have settled in well. The latter was signed to accompany Mings at centre back but Mings is out for the season after sustaining a serious knee injury in that Geordie mauling. Maybe just as well for Villa as at times, Mings was a combination of sloppy and reckless, and an accident waiting to happen. Villa are not an easy side to face, especially if we aren't quite at it.

As was the case in the corresponding fixture last season, which was our final home game of a hugely disappointing campaign. It was a very similar game to this season's Bournemouth fixture where we were shit in the first half but went in only a goal down. Ramsey scored for them, soon after Watkins had fired a penalty wide after being fouled by Ibou, who had been dragged wide to cover the space left by Trent. Trent had moments before been involved in us surrendering possession and was now out of position. Stop me if you've heard that one before. It was and remains the massive pitfall in this hybrid role he's been playing. The game was meandering and needing someone to galvanise us. Who better than Bobby on his last Anfield appearance. He popped up with a late equaliser, reacting first to Mo's brilliant cross with the outside of his foot. We were hoping to push for a late winner but even though a lot of stoppage time was added, nothing much materialised. The players who were leaving got a big send off, none more so than Bobby and Big Game James who have been absolute heroes for us. Both signed a few months before Jurgen joined, they were instrumental figures in our subsequent success.

We badly need to eradicate the sloppiness in our play and the erratic decision making, and be ready from the beginning. I keep repeating myself but it's no less true. Attitude, concentration and application need to be spot on. We're without Virg through suspension, but if the Gravenberch deal is completed in time to satisfy the noon deadline for new players to be eligible for the weekend fixtures, we will have another addition to our Dutch contingent. Darwin should be on a real high after his weekend exploits, and Jurgen has a decision to make as to whether to start him against Villa or bring him on to cause his particular brand of havoc late on. Decisions decisions. Whatever, go out there, do the right things and come away with another 3 points. Get it done!

• Upvote 8

Hopefully that Martinez is still out, the time wasting wind-up merchant that he is. I saw the highlights of Villa’s match against Burnley last weekend, and whilst they generally played pretty well, that Olsen they had in goal looked a complete liability, especially trying to play out from the back.

I wonder if Endo will get to play with 10 teammates for 90 minutes.

Virg is a big loss, obviously, as there's no obvious replacement for him.  (Tick-tock, Henry, you cunt.)  Still, if Endo, Macca & Szoboslai click in the way I think they can, our defenders shouldn't come under too much pressure.

Just get these beat, Reds.

VAR ruling out Gakpo's equaliser and the non-sending off for Mings' assault on Gakpo in the game in May were both disgraceful decisions by John Brooks.

Just two of the many joke calls we have had to put up with since Robertson received the elbow from the gym bunny and Klopp celebrated in Brooks' face. 

Neither of those cunts, nor Tierney are involved on Sunday. Simon Hooper is the referee. He was the ref that didn’t give the penalty to Wolves the other week for the Onana "foul".

Aside from the fact that he looks to be breathing out of his arsehole after 20 minutes of a game, I've never noticed him in our games before, so fingers crossed. 

Pull them up on their time-wasting and don't make any stupid decisions please Mr. Hooper.

Simon Hooper 

22/23
Premier League Premier League
29 01.04.2023 Manchester City 4:1 Liverpool FC        
22/23
23 13.02.2023 Liverpool FC 2:0 Everton FC        
22/23
16 12.11.2022 Liverpool FC 3:1 Southampton FC        
19/20
FA Cup FA Cup