You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (H) - Sun 3rd Sep 2023 (2:00pm)

Trumo

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

i think it has been a tough start so far for gakpo though - mostly not all his doing, but he has struggled a little. i am sure when he starts getting game time in those forward positions we will start seeing more from him, but it will be interesting where he gets his minutes. i don't much see him as player who makes his impact off the bench. 

Funny that we've got Nunez, Gakpo, Jota, and Diaz who haven't been amazing but we're sure they'll kick on and show what they're made of if they get the minutes. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

i think it has been a tough start so far for gakpo though - mostly not all his doing, but he has struggled a little. i am sure when he starts getting game time in those forward positions we will start seeing more from him, but it will be interesting where he gets his minutes. i don't much see him as player who makes his impact off the bench. 

I sort of agree with this.  I can see him getting starts where we are playing the likes of City and want to retain the ball at the cost of some attacking threat, and then getting subbed as the context of the match changes.

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's because you can see all the attributes they have, you just need to see more of it. 

Yeah, I just mean we have 4 players who play in similar positions all of whom need gametime to improve. Somebody needs sacrificing for the benefit of the other players. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Having a blue chip 8 like Szoboszlai might make it trickier for him to take up Firmino's old deep role too. Agree that all his best work has been as as starter. Anyway, we'll have enough games for all of them to stake their claims.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know why Gakpo can't play on the left sometimes. Maybe his lack of dribbling and carrying, but then Jota isn't great at that either and he does get minutes there.

Looking at his PSV comps he’s a superb dribbler and excellent crosser of all a ball. I’d have Gakpo ahead of Jota on the left.

30 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I sort of agree with this.  I can see him getting starts where we are playing the likes of City and want to retain the ball at the cost of some attacking threat, and then getting subbed as the context of the match changes.

i think to be honest some of that depends on how we progress as a team when nunez is in it and how nunez also grows. i do wonder if klopp sees some time for gakpo in the 8 positions. he didn't do too well there in the opening games, but maybe with a more settled side, he improves there too.  

20 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Yeah, I just mean we have 4 players who play in similar positions all of whom need gametime to improve. Somebody needs sacrificing for the benefit of the other players. 

i think that is part really of having newish players and players that were newish and instead of bombing on, injury got in the way. sometimes this all takes 6 minutes like mane but more normally it happens over a period of time and then a moment or two big moments makes certain individuals or units just click. 

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Having a blue chip 8 like Szoboszlai might make it trickier for him to take up Firmino's old deep role too. Agree that all his best work has been as as starter. Anyway, we'll have enough games for all of them to stake their claims.

yeah, i have felt this new formation is aimed at having 2 high quality 8s to se can play with a real 9 rather than false 9. we just haven't seen much of that yet, because we were building on sand. 

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know why Gakpo can't play on the left sometimes. Maybe his lack of dribbling and carrying, but then Jota isn't great at that either and he does get minutes there.

i am sure he will get minutes there, it's just a question of timing isn't it? if diaz was out again, i am sure he would get a run. i feel up to now what he's been doing is plugging gaps to some extent. i wonder actually if that is the role for him here. i bit in all forward positions and number 8. 

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I thought this too and his impact on the game yesterday was minimal. However, both Trent and Salah shot yesterday and if they had slid Gakpo in at the last second, instead of shooting he had an easy chance. 

His movement is very good around the box but he looks for different supply to Darwin. 

5 hours ago, stringvest said:

I think you're wrong.  I think Robertson makes poor decisions in most games.  I don't think he's a bad player, I just don't think he's as good as Kostas.

Sorry mate, Robertson is way, way better than Kostas.

Actually, Robbo is a very good left-back, it’s mad how underrated he is here !

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Arnaud said:

Sorry mate, Robertson is way, way better than Kostas.

Actually, Robbo is a very good left-back, it’s mad how underrated he is here !

Robbo has been easily the best left back in the league for the last 6 or 7 years and a top 3 left back in the history of the club.

So you have to say Tsimikas is a bit unlucky.

10 hours ago, etho said:

Got to be playing Nunez every week. Harsh for Gakpo and Jota but they're the squad players in my eyes, the front 3 is Diaz Nunez Salah

Horses for courses.  Gakpo has got a bit more guile than the others; Jota has got more snide and fight.  We really do have impressive options up front.

6 hours ago, stringvest said:

I know it's not a popular view, but it's my view and one day we'll get the opportunity to see for sure.  

It's a mental view. Every take you ever have on Robbo is. And I say that as someone who has a lot of affection for you. You remind me of my Dad, he has some utterly mental takes too. Like Kelleher being better than Alisson. Even he knows that Robbo is boss though.

• Upvote 2