You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

22 minutes ago, etho said:

Alot of people being critical of Darwin are going to look very silly.

Only if they’re 1) talking in absolute terms, saying he would never be any good and 2) Darwin evolves (somebody neg that, immediately) into a significantly better player. At times he has gone full Benteke. Acknowledging that, as of now, he often displays a really bad touch, poor shot, and dodgy game-brain to the point where he sometimes looks like a soccer aid YouTuber giving football a go for charity isn’t looking stupid, because at times - at times - that’s just how he looks. It’s acknowledging what’s in front of our eyes. If people deny that then they’re denying reality, IMO.

On the other hand, If people can’t also acknowledge that he’s basically a young kid, in a new team, and new country, and different system, still learning his trade, and at other times looks far from the donkey he is being made out, but rather somebody with a lot of raw potential, power, and pace who could end up being drogba-level good and generally looks unplayable, then it’s because they’re biased against the lad. Because at times you go ‘fucking hell, he’s like a wrecking ball’ who just makes defences look like they’re playing tennis in cricket nets with a badminton racket. To say they can’t handle him is an understatement. To say he can’t handle himself sometimes is also just obvious. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, etho said:

Alot of people being critical of Darwin are going to look very silly.

The people comparing him to Messi and Suarez are more likely to ‘look very silly’. 

Personally, even taking into account the mitigations in NV’s post, I don’t think he’ll become a goal scoring great. 

It’s just an opinion based on what has been presented from a technique perspective, and how previous players with these issues have fared in my match watching experience.  

Ultimately we’ll see. One of us will be right and one wrong  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some people would rather him miss so they can pat themselves on the back rather than us win. Fans my arse 

I do wonder if folks that slag any of our players off (Keita included) also sing YNWA with gusto, pride and passion. 
Seems to be a bit of a contradiction there if they do. 
I'd back any off our players no matter how crap they are as I always want the team to succeed.  Once a player is sold/left the club then they're fair game but not whilst they are wearing our jersey. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I do wonder if folks that slag any of our players off (Keita included) also sing YNWA with gusto, pride and passion. 
Seems to be a bit of a contradiction there if they do. 
I'd back any off our players no matter how crap they are as I always want the team to succeed.  Once a player is sold/left the club then they're fair game but not whilst they are wearing our jersey. 

Liverpool players are above criticism? On a football forum? In a thread specifically asking for opinion?

Tish and pish, Blackadder.   

Just now, Jennings said:

Liverpool players are above criticism? On a football forum? In a thread specifically asking for opinion?

Tish and pish, Blackadder.   

There's opinion and there's blind hatred for (a) player(s).  And I thought we all took the words to our anthem seriously...

1 minute ago, Pete said:

There's opinion and there's blind hatred for (a) player(s).  And I thought we all took the words to our anthem seriously...

Who hates him (other than Daisy who hates everything)?

On a spectrum of Daisy at one end and Bjornebye at the other everyone else seems to be either right or left of centre in their opinion of him.

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

The people comparing him to Messi and Suarez are more likely to ‘look very silly’. 

Personally, even taking into account the mitigations in NV’s post, I don’t think he’ll become a goal scoring great. 

It’s just an opinion based on what has been presented from a technique perspective, and how previous players with these issues have fared in my match watching experience.  

Ultimately we’ll see. One of us will be right and one wrong  

I don't think anybody is saying he'll be Suarez or Messi,that is silly. It's easy to see his benefit to the team already though and if you deny that you aren't watching the same team as me.