You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

JK: "He’s a fantastic football player, a good passer, his challenges are good, a proper defensive midfielder with the option of being a number eight as well."

I thought we didn't need a proper defensive midfielder?

So after a 45 minute run out in what was our first pre season fitness building game after all have the alumini here written him off a a dud yet. You know because he maybe misshit a couple of shots during the warm up and even more during the first half against a National League North outfit.

Fabinho is up against Henderson, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Wijnaldum and later in the season Ox will be back so competition for places in the midfield three is tougher than ever here.

And all will play over a 50+ game season. A nice amount a quality players for an area we lacked cover for. All good.

Fabinho is up against Henderson, Milner, Keita, Lallana, Wijnaldum and later in the season Ox will be back so competition for places in the midfield three is tougher than ever here. 

Don't think he will

Personally i see it like this

----------------------Fabiano/Henderson/Gini

--Keita/AOC/Milner/Henderson-------------------

The last spot would have been Fekir who knows now or it will be another of the others we have

• 3 weeks later...

Ox won’t feature this season, apparently, and Can’s gone.

So competition is the same in terms of numbers, it just depends on how much better or otherwise Keita/Fabinho will be than Can/Ox.

He's having to adapt to playing in a holding role on his own, something he almost never had to do at Monaco. We'd see the best of him in a midfield two as he's immense when he can go box-to-box and when another player can cover for him but he's good enough that he'll be comfortable in the 4-3-3 after a while.

I just hope we see a Keita - Fabinho pairing numerous times this season. I feel like the third man will be a bit of a waste. 

Positionally good, moves the ball on quickly, makes himself available, decent enough passer. Not rapid, could do with being a bit quicker to close players down, and doesn't want to carry the ball up the pitch. I would prefer a Mascherano sort. I do think he'll get better as time goes on. I'm looking forward to seeing what he contributes in the first quarter of the season.

He's having to adapt to playing in a holding role on his own, something he almost never had to do at Monaco. We'd see the best of him in a midfield two as he's immense when he can go box-to-box and when another player can cover for him but he's good enough that he'll be comfortable in the 4-3-3 after a while.

I just hope we see a Keita - Fabinho pairing numerous times this season. I feel like the third man will be a bit of a waste.

Means we could play Mané, Salah, Shaqiri and Firmino, which is absolutely terrifying.