You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alien

Stouffer

My first girlfriend I took her to Witness and then Blue Velvet.

Never got more than a bit if tongue and the third movie was a John Hughes classic, Pretty in Pink.

We did nasty things in my Dad's Ford Tempo.

She was not a ginger, though.

Fucking good choice !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7NitmzzZX8

I honestly cannot separate Alien and Blade Runner for my favourite movie of all time, i have watched both countless times and neither get dull. The bit in Alien where they discover the Space jockey, the sheer scale of it blows me away. I know Ridley Scott had kids in spacesuits to make it look bigger, but nevertheless it looks fantastic...

space-jockey1-alien-5-the-return-of-sigo

All the shouts for 2001? It's beautifully shot (as are all of Kubrick's films) but i find it quite inpenetrable and in parts a bit boring.

I honestly cannot separate Alien and Blade Runner for my favourite movie of all time, i have watched both countless times and neither get dull. The bit in Alien where they discover the Space jockey, the sheer scale of it blows me away. I know Ridley Scott had kids in spacesuits to make it look bigger, but nevertheless it looks fantastic...

space-jockey1-alien-5-the-return-of-sigo

All the shouts for 2001? It's beautifully shot (as are all of Kubrick's films) but i find it quite inpenetrable and in parts a bit boring.

That's a great moment, whenever it's on TV I'll honestly rewatch it just for that, I'd have loved to have seen it on the big screen for the first time. The first hour of Alien is masterful in building suspense, and for all the shocks of the chestburster scene later, the fight with Ash shocked me almost as much.

The greatest tagline to a film ever.

A work of genius.

I don't mind Aliens, but it's just so typical of Hollywood that instead of having a scary monster, they have to have hundreds. If they could have, they'd have made Jaws 2 a film about 1,000 great white sharks invading LA.

The pitch, in a major studio office, 1985 - "Remember that film Alien made by that limey guy? You know how scary the alien was? Right, well imagine a similar scenario, only with a MILLION of them! We'll get Cameron to direct."

I hate sequels.

You're mental Ray. Aliens is one of the greatest films ever made.

"Game over man. Game over."

• Upvote 5

That's a great moment, whenever it's on TV I'll honestly rewatch it just for that, I'd have loved to have seen it on the big screen for the first time. The first hour of Alien is masterful in building suspense, and for all the shocks of the chestburster scene later, the fight with Ash shocked me almost as much.

I know exactly what you mean mate.

Just like riding a rollercoaster; that slow build up, the steady, suspenseful incline before you reach the top and BOOSH, off yer fuckin go at breakneck speed.

I disagree with the negativity about Aliens. It's a fantastic sequel which is smart enough not to retread the ground of the first film ( a classic) but take Ripley and the alien creature and do something completely different with them, treading it's own path. The bit where Ripley and Newt wake up and see the empty facehugger jars in their quaters, and find they're locked in, is as tense as fuck.

• Upvote 7

I love Alien, genuinely unsettling, probably one of only five films that can put the shits up me. I don't like Aliens much, but then I'm not a massive fan of action films.  Alien 3 is underrated in my opinion, it's actually quite an interesting film but the pace, after Cameron went fucking mental, will be pedestrian for most people.

While Prometheus isn't a great film, it isn't the pile of shite most people say it is.  Bladerunner is peerless.

• Upvote 1

2001 was made in 1968, Alien was made in in 1978.

With all the technology these days and theres not one sci fi flick that comes close to them 2.

2001 is a masterpiece its ending is open to so many interpretations, thats what mades it brilliant and cubric's genius is unmatched.

• Upvote 2

2001 is a superb film but very different to Alien and its sequels. 

2001 is a more like a philosophical tract than a traditional movie.

As for the Alien franchise. For me it is Alien, Alien3, Aliens and all the rest are shot including Prometheus.

In relation to great Sci Fi.  I think that the remake of The Thing with Kurt Russel takes some beating

Event Horizon is a pretty underrated sci-fi horror. Gave me the willies when I was younger. The Thing is a classic, as if the Fly. Used to watch them constantly as a teenager, may have to give them a watch sometime soon to see if they still hold up. 

Gonna have to watch Alien 3 and 4 too. I remember turning 3 off in boredom when I was younger. 

Not even a contest - Predator for me.  Smarter, more firepower, way better at hand to hand combat and if it all goes tits up a handy nuke. 

Alien has that whippet-like speed and deadly tail that could keep the Predator at bay/nailed down. There's also the debate on whether or not the Predator's technology would pick up the Alien. I'm not a big enough nerd of either franchise to know but if the Predator can't pick up Arnie covered in mud, would it be able to pick up a Xenomorph hiding in a vent? I dunno. 

You'd like to think one day an AvP film will come out and it'll be ace, but probably not. 

• Upvote 3