You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alien

Stouffer

2001 was made in 1968, Alien was made in in 1978.

With all the technology these days and theres not one sci fi flick that comes close to them 2.

2001 is a masterpiece its ending is open to so many interpretations, thats what mades it brilliant and cubric's genius is unmatched.

Cubric ???????

2001 was made in 1968, Alien was made in in 1978.

With all the technology these days and theres not one sci fi flick that comes close to them 2.

2001 is a masterpiece its ending is open to so many interpretations, thats what mades it brilliant and cubric's genius is unmatched.

Maybe Interstellar will be a worthy successor.

Moon is a good modern sci-fi.

Yeah, that's a good shout.

Modern sci-fi went a bit shit after the death of real prop making and set design though. Green screen should've been liberating, but instead it started the downward spiral. Looking back at the likes of Alien and even the ship reveal in The Thing, the use of models and trick perspectives was an art form.

• Upvote 1

When it comes to sci-fi films bursting with tension...

giphy.gif

Imagine if Terminator was set in Britain? Modern British men's fashions are so shit he'd spend the entire two hours trying to find clothes that didn't make him look like a tit.

"I need your camouflaged cargo shorts, your plimsolls, and your salmon coloured hoodie from Next."

• Upvote 10

Imagine if Terminator was set in Britain? Modern British men's fashions are so shit he'd spend the entire two hours trying to find clothes that didn't make him look like a tit.

"I need your camouflaged cargo shorts, your plimsolls, and your salmon coloured hoodie from Next."

Gok Wan could do the actors wardrobe.

Prometheus was merely ok, but what a massive missed opportunity. That film could have, and should have been special.

Like Alien in a beige jumper and carpet slippers.

Completely agree there, one of the biggest film letdowns, Ridley Scott lost his mind which was a damn shame.

One of the most basic key things for any film is to get the audience to at least care in some way for one of its characters, personally i didn't give a flying fuck about any of them, if anything i wanted these people dead where as in Aliens you can't help rooting for all of them (apart from Burke) even Gorman who was a wet blanket, it's still a shame Vasquez and Gorman didn't make it being so close, same with Hudson.

Prometheus was bad, script, casting and acting with the odd exception, the script was especially awful, a big jumble of senseless shite, if they had got the script right then the rest could have forgiven i think, but it wasn't right, it was a million miles from being right.

It was aids on a stick.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with the negativity about Aliens. It's a fantastic sequel which is smart enough not to retread the ground of the first film ( a classic) but take Ripley and the alien creature and do something completely different with them, treading it's own path. The bit where Ripley and Newt wake up and see the empty facehugger jars in their quaters, and find they're locked in, is as tense as fuck.

Agree, it had plenty of tense moments, it certainly wasn't a one dimensional bang bang bang movie, it's one of those rare cases of the sequel being better than the original imo.

Completely agree there, one of the biggest film letdowns, Ridley Scott lost his mind which was a damn shame.

One of the most basic key things for any film is to get the audience to at least care in some way for one of its characters, personally i didn't give a flying fuck about any of them, if anything i wanted these people dead where as in Aliens you can't help rooting for all of them (apart from Burke) even Gorman who was a wet blanket, it's still a shame Vasquez and Gorman didn't make it being so close, same with Hudson.

Prometheus was bad, script, casting and acting with the odd exception, the script was especially awful, a big jumble of senseless shite, if they had got the script right then the rest could have forgiven i think, but it wasn't right, it was a million miles from being right.

It was aids on a stick.

Isn't it internet rumour fact that the original Prometheus script and story is really good, but the studio got some wanker who worked on "Lost" or some other shit to re-work it and turned it into a pile of shite?

You reckon he would speak to a Hipster clone who is cross between moof and Turdseye?