You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alien

Stouffer

That makes sense, thanks. When are the prequels due?

Prometheus was the first, but it didn't give away much about the backstory. Alien: Covenant is out next year, and Ridley Scott has said there'll be two further prequels after that which will link up with Alien.

It was supposed to be a bomber wasn't it and the eggs were the 'bombs'.

They've tried to weave the Predator aliens into the lore by saying that's why they wear masks, so facehuggers can't work their shit.

The canon consists of the four Alien films plus Prometheus, so any plot lines or suggestions from AvP, graphic novels, games or fan fiction are unofficial. Speculation from fan sites is just that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott take a radical departure from anything that's been suggested re the origins story. There's also the possibility he won't fully explain it at all and instead leave it up to the audience's imagination as per Prometheus, but I expect he'll want to complete the story properly.

Prometheus was the first, but it didn't give away much about the backstory. Alien: Covenant is out next year, and Ridley Scott has said there'll be two further prequels after that which will link up with Alien.

I hope they're better than Prometheus.  Shouldn't be too difficult.

The things that bother me about the Alien Movies

In Alien, Aliens and Alien 4 the Alien is killed in exactly the same way. Try a new ending.

Also Aliens enjoyable romp though it is does not belong in this series of movies. It stands out like a sore thumb.  The rest are claustrophobic movies in which humans face an almost unstoppable killing machine.

In Aliens it is essentially a Vietnam war film in space. Oh and they can kill an alien with a shotgun whilst in the first movie they couldn't kill it with anything that they threw at it

I never quite understood what the jazz was with the space marines. They express scorn at the idea of 'aliens' but say things like 'another bug hunt!', implying they've seen some kind of extra terrestrial creature before. 

I always thought it was either a reference to the mission being a pointless exercise or that the marines were regularly called in to deal with some other, less deadly, creature we never actually see. Ferro does have her cockpit decorated with a machin-gun-toting, military boot wearing bald eagle with the legend "Bug Stomper" underneath it, so it must be some sort of mission they undertake quite often. The arrogance of the marines and the scepticism they view Ripley's story with also points to them as having experience of pest extermination. It's like they turned up expecting to gas a few moles but have found a pack of wolves instead.

I never quite understood what the jazz was with the space marines. They express scorn at the idea of 'aliens' but say things like 'another bug hunt!', implying they've seen some kind of extra terrestrial creature before. 

They were all in Starship Troopers first.

• Upvote 2

he Weyland-Yutani corporation was originally named Weylan-Yutani, the original name was created by Ron Cobb, one of the designers of the Nostromo and its crew's uniforms

"One of the things I enjoyed most about Alien was its subtle satirical content. Science fiction films offer golden opportunities to throw in little scraps of information that suggest enormous changes in the world. There's a certain potency in those kinds of remarks. Weylan Yutani for instance is almost a joke, but not quite. I wanted to imply that poor old England is back on its feet and has united with the Japanese, who have taken over the building of spaceships the same way they have now with cars and supertankers. In coming up with a strange company name I thought of British Leyland and Toyota, but we couldn't use "Leyland-Toyota" in the film. Changing one letter gave me "Weylan," and "Yutani" was a Japanese neighbor of mine."
—Ron Cobb, "The Authorized Portfolio of Crew Insignias from The United States Commercial Spaceship Nostromo Designs and Realizations" by John Mollo and Ron Cobb

The original spelling of the Company's name was Weylan Yutani (note that there was no D in the name). At no time in Alien nor in the portfolio was the name of the Company spelled with a D. This was changed to "Weyland-Yutani" in Aliens.

When James Cameron was assigned to write and direct the sequel, the role and significance of Weyland-Yutani increased greatly, becoming an indispensable element in Alien lore. The original Weyland-Yutani logo was an Egyptian winged-sun emblem; it was modified to its current corporo-industrial interlocked W/Y for Aliens.

It can be viewed in various places, most prominently on the front of a big-wheel tricycle in a scene from the director's cut.

• Upvote 3