You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dunkan Jenkins on Twitter

Redder Lurtz

EXCLUSIVE:

Liverpool give blogger written apology for ‘inappropriate’ director behaviour

By Nick Harris

SJA Internet Sports Writer of the Year

30 October 2012

Liverpool’s managing director Ian Ayre has apologised in writing on behalf of the club for the inappropriate behaviour of communications director Jen Chang towards Liverpool fan Sean Cummins, the creator of spoof journalist ‘Duncan Jenkins’, during a meeting between the pair on 22 August and in the days afterwards.

Cummins, a 35-year-old copy writer from south Manchester, gained 40,000 followers for Jenkins’ Twitter account, where he tweeted misspelled nonsense, malapropisms, Colemanballs and ‘inside’ information that had actually been picked up second-, third- and fourth-hand from around the internet.

Chang became so concerned about ‘perspiring journalist’ Jenkins, who described himself as a member of the blogging ‘paternity’, that he met Cummins in a Manchester restaurant on 22 August and asked Cummins to tweet as Jenkins that a) ‘Jenkins’ was not real; b) ‘Jenkins’ had no club mole.

Cummins detailed the meeting and the aftermath in an explosive blog post on 12 October, in which he outlined a series of accusations against Chang, including that Chang had effectively threatened to ban him from games by cancelling his shared season ticket.

The full extent of Chang’s alleged threats is detailed in the blog (linked here).

Sportingintelligence has established beyond doubt that the meeting took place; that all the tweets and emails within the blog are genuine; and that Liverpool have seen evidence of the above.

Ayre met Cummins in person in Liverpool last week to hear Cummins’ side of the story. Ayre held a second meeting with Cummins in Liverpool today, when he handed over a letter of apology.

Ayre writes in the letter: “Based on everything I have heard and seen, including information provided by the parties involved in the matter, I acknowledge some of the elements you highlight were not appropriate …

“I would therefore like to apologise to you on behalf of Liverpool FC, for any upset and distress this caused you.

“Clearly it is not appropriate for me to comment on how the club is managing this internally, and I trust you understand this.”

Liverpool have declined to comment on what disciplinary action, if any, Chang might now face.

Sources say that Liverpool’s chairman Tom Werner has already rebuked Chang, privately and verbally, for his meeting with Cummins and the way he handled its aftermath, but Chang has declined to comment on this – or provide any public account of his version of events.

Asked on 12 October whether Cummins’ blog was a faithful account of their meeting on 22 August, Chang emailed to say: ‘No, it’s total nonsense’.

He declined to respond to follow-up emails which asked for clarification about what actually happened.

It has subsequently been proved beyond doubt via CCTV footage, emails, texts and phone records that every part of Cummins’ story that it is possible to verify using that evidence has been verified.

What nobody will ever be able to verify is precisely what Chang said to Cummins during a 1 hour, 46-minute lunch on 22 August (right), but Cummins feels vindicated with the apology and acknowledgement that his concerns were genuine.

“As a Liverpool supporter, I fully appreciate that our great club has got a lot more serious issues to handle than what a spoof character was writing on Twitter,” Cummins has told Sportingintelligence this afternoon.

“It was never, ever my intention to distract from those issues, and I was shocked and surprised things unfolded as they have done, over a made-up character who was always clearly trivial.

“All I ever wanted was an apology and I got one in writing today.”

EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool give blogger written apology for ‘inappropriate’ director behaviour « Sporting Intelligence

So can we get back to calling Chang a massively inappropriate, out of his depth appointment to a role he has bungled terribly, now?

I'm glad Sean has been completely vindicated, but the problem of a complete amateur being responsible for the club's communications still exists, and Chang doesn't even seemingly have the balls to apologise for himself.

[

Ayre writes in the letter: “Based on everything I have heard and seen, including information provided by the parties involved in the matter, I acknowledge some of the elements you highlight were not appropriate

“I would therefore like to apologise to you on behalf of Liverpool FC, for any upset and distress this caused you.

“Clearly it is not appropriate for me to comment on how the club is managing this internally, and I trust you understand this.”

Anyone know if Sean intends to release the full letter? I'd be interested to know if anything is between those 2 paragraphs, the 3 dots don't look like a completed sentence.

Anyone know if Sean intends to release the full letter? I'd be interested to know if anything is between those 2 paragraphs, the 3 dots don't look like a completed sentence.

No need.

The club has vindicated Sean and now will internally deal with Chang.

How they do this will obviously be a private matter.

Three weeks on and Duncan Jenkins gets the apology that he deserves. Chang's behaviour is an embarrassment to the club at a time where we don't need any nore bad publicity following the last 12 months. I want to know who was involved in the process of recruiting him.

Getting fan sites onside by inviting them to press conferences is one thing, being able to competently manage the media, which is is a big part of his job, is another. He ihas been totally anonynous whilst Suarez has been getting pilloried, nowhere to be seen, he was probably too busy "being a big fan."

He should be banned from Anfield for life and hopefully booted all the way back to America.

No need.

The club has vindicated Sean and now will internally deal with Chang.

How they do this will obviously be a private matter.

Every minute detail of this sham has been made available to the public. It's just plain wrong to suddenly pick and choose which sections of the letter he makes public at this stage, it should be all of it or none of it.

Have you seen the letter? Can you confirm that the part I highlighted earlier is complete? The Guardian have an article on this and they have a simple full stop in there report where as Sporting Intelligence (who have been his chosen media outlet from day one) have left it looking like the sentence has more to it.

I'm sure No2/BillyBob agrees now that Chang is indeed a wrong'un and should be sacked if he doesn't have the backbone to resign.

As I look down from my penthouse on Everton Road, and see the moms pushing their buggies along the sidewalk, I hope and pray all this is done and dusted by Thanksgiving.

Guest ShoePiss
Every minute detail of this sham has been made available to the public. It's just plain wrong to suddenly pick and choose which sections of the letter he makes public at this stage, it should be all of it or none of it.

Have you seen the letter? Can you confirm that the part I highlighted earlier is complete? The Guardian have an article on this and they have a simple full stop in there report where as Sporting Intelligence (who have been his chosen media outlet from day one) have left it looking like the sentence has more to it.

What a load of bollocks, plain wrong my arse. It has fuck all to do with you, you don't have a right to know what is in the letter beyond what he wants to share.

* searches around in deep freeze for the humble pie last marked FSG/January transfer window-dinner sorted *

I honestly cannot believe this. I had huge doubts. I'll never apologise for wanting to see both sides of a story but this takes the piss.

Chang needs to do the Honourable thing!!!(try not to laugh)

I'm sure No2/BillyBob agrees now that Chang is indeed a wrong'un and should be sacked if he doesn't have the backbone to resign.

As I look down from my penthouse on Everton Road, and see the moms pushing their buggies along the sidewalk, I hope and pray all this is done and dusted by Thanksgiving.

I've always maintained he should be sacked if what was alleged to have happened actually happened. The parts of the story that everyone agrees on are not in doubt and he deserves an apology for that but for the letter (or the part of the letter that has been released) still leaves a big wide gap as to exactly what the club are accepting took place. If it was just the phone calls and emails then I wouldn't be bothered if the club kept him or got rid.

BTW am I now a yank too?

What a load of bollocks, plain wrong my arse. It has fuck all to do with you, you don't have a right to know what is in the letter beyond what he wants to share.

That is your opinion, its not one I would agree with.