You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dunkan Jenkins on Twitter

Redder Lurtz

Guest alantkayll
His name was Neil, he was shit at playing the flute, he used to practice all the time and he was still shit when he left after about 8 months!

No. I didn't give them the thumbs up, there were a lot of different bands marching and so I got bored after a bit and closed my window....I think I made some egg on toast, that is what I sometimes have on a Sunday morning, however it is not 100% certain that this was the case that day so don't quote me on that!

Does any of this help?

Help?

The fact you closed your window proves you're a twat.

I'm amazed by the commitment of people such as BillyBob.

Chang clearly met Sean.

He clearly threatened the removal of his season ticket.

He called him over 20 times in spite of being asked to communicate via a different method.

Instead of using another method he went to a non club official asking him to smooth things over.

All this is entirely provable.

And yet somehow, some people seem entirely committed to calling bullshit.

Regardless of the implications.

Chang refuses to use another form of communication. Either he doesn't understand how an email can be less threatening than 20 calls else he just didn't want to write it down.

He goes to a third party. So either there is NO ONE in the employ of the club he trusts enough to speak to Sean, else he doesn't want anyone within the club to know about it.

Never mind that fact he revealed details of a season ticket holder to a third party and all the data protection issues that brings up.

These are just conclusions which can be drawn from the corroborated and proven facts in the public domain.

So continue on BillyBob, wonder away why people think you're sock puppet. It's pretty obvious why they have their suspicions. In the face of all the information available, only someone monumentally stupid or Jen Chang himself could continue to defend his actions

Which are you?

Liverpool FC communications chief Jen Chang to be probed over 'Duncan Jenkins' harassment allegations

LIVERPOOL FC’s communications chief Jen Chang faces an internal investigation into allegations he harassed an anonymous supporter suspected of revealing accurate transfer knowledge on Twitter.

The club is set to probe claims made in a blog that director of communications Jen Chang vowed to ban the fan for life and threatened that supporters would make his life a “living hell”.

Mr Chang has described the allegations as “total nonsense”.

Liverpool fan Sean Cummins, 35, used the alter ego “Duncan Jenkins” on Twitter to predict the signings of Fabio Borini and Nuri Sahin – which he insisted in the blog had been simply “educated punts”.

But according to the blog post, published a week ago, Mr Cummins claimed that Mr Chang had demanded to know who his “mole” at the club was and rejected his account he had simply lifted gossip from fans’ forums and the Liverpool ECHO.

The allegations revolve around a meeting at a Manchester restaurant in August where Mr Chang allegedly made a series of threats unless “Duncan Jenkins” revealed he had no inside track on business dealings.

Managing director Ian Ayre was set to speak to Mr Chang after club sources said officials were investigating “a matter that had been raised”.

Mr Chang, the blog alleges, accused Mr Cummins of costing the club £300,000extra in the Borini deal because his information led to Roma inflating the price.

He is alleged to have threatened to ban him from Anfield and pass a file to journalists who could “run smear stories” in the tabloid press.

According to the blog, Chang is also alleged to have told Cummins: “You know how crazy football fans are. You’ll have dog s*** coming through your letterbox, you’ll have to take your Facebook page down, you might even have to move house.”

Mr Chang admits meeting Mr Cummins in Manchester but firmly denies the allegations.

Mr Cummins, a copywriter from Manchester, states in the blog: “Everything I've written is 100% true. There is not a single shred of embellishment in this account.”

But there is no taped recording of the Manchester meeting and no direct evidence of any threats.

Mr Ayre is believed to have been in contact with Mr Cummins, whose seemingly credible Jenkins’ creation was followed by a number of national sports journalists.

The ECHO understands the club's managing director will meet Mr Cummins to discuss the issue in the next few days.

Mr Chang, who was brought in to Liverpool this summer to replace long-serving PR chief Ian Cotton, issued a statement earlier this week.

He said: “I will not be responding to total nonsense. The contents of my tweets that are included in the blog bear no relation whatsoever to the false accusations made by a fictional character.

“There was never any investigation by Liverpool over the tweets.”

Despite repeated attempts, Mr Chang could not be contacted yesterday.

Liverpool FC communications chief Jen Chang to be probed over 'Duncan Jenkins' harassment allegations - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

Is that the name of the club across from the old 'view'? If so then no, I do get woken on Sundays by people playing their flutes there sometimes though!

If you lived on Everton Road, you wouldn't need to ask that question. It's not exactly the East Lancs.

You. are. full. of shit.

"Despite repeated attempts, Mr Chang could not be contacted yesterday".

Fuck me, that'll make it better Jen, a Director of Communications that the media can't get hold of...

Fuck him off, complete sideshow this, any way you look at it Chang has been shown up by Sean Cummins of the Internet, Manchester.

I like the cut of BillyBob's jib, facing down the bullying mob. I can't find anything he has wrote to be factually false, the only suspicious aspect of Billybob imo is the date he joined, but everyone needs to join at some stage. It may have escaped the attention of some but we are on an International break and there is fuck all else being talked about and I don't blame him for not wanting to be dragged in the redevelopment shite Xeres spouts or any other thread discussing the club which inevitably leads to someone being called a cunt inside 10 posts.

The pack mentality on here is disturbing, people are jumping in without looking at the facts, Chang is being been bashed for harassing Cummins with 20 phone calls and at the same time been bashed for not contacting him directly.:wallbutt: Another thing that has seemingly entered the record as fact is that nobody at the club knew of Changs actions, I missed the bit where the club confirmed this. In his blog he couldn't take a call because the kids where noisy, this has now changed to the wife was sick.

I don't know Cummins so forgive me for not allowing his version of events to be forced down my throat, the timing of him releasing the blog looks suspicious to me (not the IPCC part), coinciding with the international break and the general lack of anything to talk about LFC wise that goes hand in hand with it. He could easily be accused of seeking to gain maximum exposure, according to the independent report earlier in the week he had a substantial Facebook following which died off and after a rest period he started the twitter account, has he some weird desire to be famous?

Let me finish by saying I don't know the name of 1 other communications director of any company in the world, never mind in football. If Chang gets sacked in the morning I couldn't care less but I won't be shedding any tears for Cummins until his entire version of events is proven and even if everything is proven is hardly worthy of getting the violin out. Fame seeker plays with fire and gets burnt.

Oh and let the negs keep coming, I don't feel comfortable having the same reputation as Code and his flock of mongs.

I like the cut of BillyBob's jib, facing down the bullying mob. I can't find anything he has wrote to be factually false, the only suspicious aspect of Billybob imo is the date he joined, but everyone needs to join at some stage. It may have escaped the attention of some but we are on an International break and there is fuck all else being talked about and I don't blame him for not wanting to be dragged in the redevelopment shite Xeres spouts or any other thread discussing the club which inevitably leads to someone being called a cunt inside 10 posts.

It's a little unfair to label any contrary opinion a mob, simply for pointing out clear and valid issues which the likes of BillyBob then obfuscates. Maybe you admire it since the entirety of your post seemingly deliberately ignores the recognised facts in the case.

The pack mentality on here is disturbing, people are jumping in without looking at the facts, Chang is being been bashed for harassing Cummins with 20 phone calls and at the same time been bashed for not contacting him directly.:wallbutt:

Chang was asked to communicate differently, by email, but refused to do so. Chang is not being bashed for not contacting Sean directly but for being unable to trust a single member of his staff at the club to either make a call or remind him of the existence of email. Are you deliberately misreading this?

Another thing that has seemingly entered the record as fact is that nobody at the club knew of Changs actions, I missed the bit where the club confirmed this. In his blog he couldn't take a call because the kids where noisy, this has now changed to the wife was sick.

The second point I'll take first, it is inconsequential of the reasoning for not being willing to take a call. If an international communicator is unable (though we believe he was actually unwilling) to put what he had to say in wither an sms or an email a effectively as a call then he is not the man for the job regardless. As it is, and more directly, if you have kids, and your wife is ill, don't you imagine you might be struggling a little with both, and that the reasoning would in fact be both, rather than "changing". You r picking this point up is incredulous and somewhat straw-clutching.

As for nobody at the club knowing of Chang's actions, this is easier to clarify.

If the club knows what he was doing and approved it then there is no need for the investigation which is confirmed via the press to be occurring. That there is to be an investigation suggests they are unaware of at least some aspects of his behaviour. Has it entered into fact that no-one knew of his actions? No, of course not, but Chang is being investigated by the club. Go figure.

I don't know Cummins so forgive me for not allowing his version of events to be forced down my throat, the timing of him releasing the blog looks suspicious to me (not the IPCC part), coinciding with the international break and the general lack of anything to talk about LFC wise that goes hand in hand with it. He could easily be accused of seeking to gain maximum exposure, according to the independent report earlier in the week he had a substantial Facebook following which died off and after a rest period he started the twitter account, has he some weird desire to be famous?

There were any number of avenues being explored in the intervening time. The timescale makes you think he was seeking exposure, when in fact he had been seeking assurances from the club through intermediaries. When that was unforthcoming, and with seemingly Chang having tried to throw a blanket over it all Sean was left with no choice.

If he was seeking attention why not go into the meeting and record it. Why not release the details immediately to the public? If you're looking to prove he was attention seeking then you will align the circumstances appropriately. This is a very flawed way to form any cogent argument.

Let me finish by saying I don't know the name of 1 other communications director of any company in the world, never mind in football. If Chang gets sacked in the morning I couldn't care less but I won't be shedding any tears for Cummins until his entire version of events is proven and even if everything is proven is hardly worthy of getting the violin out. Fame seeker plays with fire and gets burnt.

Oh and let the negs keep coming, I don't feel comfortable having the same reputation as Code and his flock of mongs.

So if it turns out that a fellow fan was threatened by the club's Communications Director for no good reason, you'll not give a fuck because he had a twitter account? How many tweets or forum posts must I make before I'm fair game for the club and just an attention seeker?

While the entirety of your post has lacked even the most basic logical skill it's this final paragraph which displays the least humanity.

And about a fellow red too.

It's a little unfair to label any contrary opinion a mob, simply for pointing out clear and valid issues which the likes of BillyBob then obfuscates. Maybe you admire it since the entirety of your post seemingly deliberately ignores the recognised facts in the case.

Yourself and Coop and maybe 1 or 2 others have made valid contributions, stating your point view very clearly without the resorting to insults. The majority have done the opposite so a baying mob is very apt description imo.

Chang was asked to communicate differently, by email, but refused to do so. Chang is not being bashed for not contacting Sean directly but for being unable to trust a single member of his staff at the club to either make a call or remind him of the existence of email. Are you deliberately misreading this?

He didn't refuse, he emailed but got no answer and then changed tact and started ringing again. I don't know about you but I could go down that route every single day in work.

The second point I'll take first, it is inconsequential of the reasoning for not being willing to take a call. If an international communicator is unable (though we believe he was actually unwilling) to put what he had to say in wither an sms or an email a effectively as a call then he is not the man for the job regardless. As it is, and more directly, if you have kids, and your wife is ill, don't you imagine you might be struggling a little with both, and that the reasoning would in fact be both, rather than "changing". You r picking this point up is incredulous and somewhat straw-clutching.

I agree that reason is inconsequential, my point was the mob seemed happy to re-invent the story at a whim to suit their agenda. Noisy kids didn't sound valid enough so we'll throw in a sick wife.

As for nobody at the club knowing of Chang's actions, this is easier to clarify.

If the club knows what he was doing and approved it then there is no need for the investigation which is confirmed via the press to be occurring. That there is to be an investigation suggests they are unaware of at least some aspects of his behaviour. Has it entered into fact that no-one knew of his actions? No, of course not, but Chang is being investigated by the club. Go figure.

Of course there is a need for an investigation. Serious allegations have been made and they need to be investigated even the club believe Chang.

There were any number of avenues being explored in the intervening time. The timescale makes you think he was seeking exposure, when in fact he had been seeking assurances from the club through intermediaries. When that was unforthcoming, and with seemingly Chang having tried to throw a blanket over it all Sean was left with no choice.

If he was seeking attention why not go into the meeting and record it. Why not release the details immediately to the public? If you're looking to prove he was attention seeking then you will align the circumstances appropriately. This is a very flawed way to form any cogent argument.

Again this may well be true but as I've repeated over and over its only one side of the story.

So if it turns out that a fellow fan was threatened by the club's Communications Director for no good reason, you'll not give a fuck because he had a twitter account?
No I won't give a fuck because an employee who is barely in the door will be out the door, its hardly the end of the world.

How many tweets or forum posts must I make before I'm fair game for the club and just an attention seeker?

If you open a parody account to purposely attempt to fool fans and journalists then I would consider you fair game.

While the entirety of your post has lacked even the most basic logical skill it's this final paragraph which displays the least humanity.

And about a fellow red too.

Humanity? Its not starving kids in Africa we're talking about, it a bloke who thought he was funny on the internet.

Chang was out of order for the threats. However Cummins has acted like a bellend and totally exposed and undermined the club.

If he wanted reciprocal action against Chang, he should have reported his complaint to Ayre with the threat of going to the press to make him take notice.

Yourself and Coop and maybe 1 or 2 others have made valid contributions, stating your point view very clearly without the resorting to insults. The majority have done the opposite so a baying mob is very apt description imo.

He didn't refuse, he emailed but got no answer and then changed tact and started ringing again. I don't know about you but I could go down that route every single day in work.

I agree that reason is inconsequential, my point was the mob seemed happy to re-invent the story at a whim to suit their agenda. Noisy kids didn't sound valid enough so we'll throw in a sick wife.

Of course there is a need for an investigation. Serious allegations have been made and they need to be investigated even the club believe Chang.

Again this may well be true but as I've repeated over and over its only one side of the story.

No I won't give a fuck because an employee who is barely in the door will be out the door, its hardly the end of the world.

If you open a parody account to purposely attempt to fool fans and journalists then I would consider you fair game.

Humanity? Its not starving kids in Africa we're talking about, it a bloke who thought he was funny on the internet.

Real Red?

Block 222: Ostriches, Podcasts and Vicious Circles – The Liverpool Way

Ostriches, Podcasts and Vicious Circles – The Liverpool Way

This was published on Saturday morning on the Bleacher Report (BR), a US sports website.

I chose this platform as the only current article on BR relating to the issue was written without talking to anyone of the parties involved or without viewing any of the evidence surrounding the affair.

This article has been written after very in-depth interviews with Sean Cummins (Duncan Jenkins), after reading all the emails between him, Jen Chang and others, after seeing more texts, PM’s and emails that I’ve read in a long time.

Jen Chang was invited to respond via email and telephone before it was released, he chose not to.

The official line as to why it was pulled by the copy editor was “Inadequate sourcing”, and “uncorroborated news”, two statements that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Thankfully I still have a blog…. So enjoy

“A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective”. This phrase was uttered some 2500 years ago by legendary military strategist Sun Tzu; however, it seems to be the mantra by which those in the boardroom of Liverpool Football Club live by.

A catalogue of PR disasters has riddled the Anfield club for the past few years, from Dallas Cowboys, to ill advised T-shirts, from spades in the ground to now; meetings in Manchester restaurants.

Much has been written about this latest event. Twitter parody account “Duncan Jenkins ” had over 40’000 followers and built a reputation on humorous misquotes akin to the Del Boy character in Only Fools & Horses, “mange tout Rodney, mange tout”. In fact ‘Jenkins’ was 35 year old Sean Cummins, a Liverpool supporter of three decades who’s amiable quips, unbeknown to him, were about to put him in a head on collision with the hierarchy of the club he loves.

The ‘Jenkins’ character Cummins created was amassing a large number of followers and not just your everyday follower, respected journalists, family members of club management and national comedians were all tuning in to the ‘Jenkins’ output. Why though? Why was he gathering such a cult following? It was a mixture of humour and also his ‘onions’.

Cummins by chance had stumbled upon a well informed individual on a Liverpool independent forum. This individual was posting the starting 11 hours before kickoff. Keen to develop the character

Cummins posted the line ups from his ‘Jenkins’ twitter account, before long a large army of followers would await news of the team sheet before its official release. Then over early summer Cummins took to summarising ‘Jenkins’ take on transfers. Relying on open source information ‘Jenkins’ spun nuggets of information that included transfers, managerial candidates and even summarising on the Euro 2012 Championships for Goal.Com

However, ‘Jenkins’ was getting these nuggets spot on, leading to many (including well respected journalists) to believe he had a mole inside the club, some even suggesting ‘Jenkins’ was in fact Rory Smith, a reporter from The Times, under a pseudonym.

To expand upon the character more Cummins decided he would joke that ‘Jenkins’ did have a mole. It was taken by some as gospel, definitive proof that ‘Jenkins’ was connected, in fact they believed it so much they started to forget the parody they had seen and believed everything he uttered was true, this man, this character ‘Duncan Jenkins’ was now, to many, the real deal.

Surely it couldn’t be made up, everything he tweeted turned to truth. People uttered it quietly at first, but it got louder and louder, so loud in fact that the account drew the attention of Liverpool FC’s Director of Corporate Relations and Communications, Jen Chang. Hired in May this year Chang replaced Ian Cotton, who left after 16 years, a direct result of the Suarez / Evra affair that was so badly handled in 2011.

The release of starting line-ups compromises tactical ‘one-upmanship’ something football clubs cannot afford in today’s close matches. ‘Jenkins’ and ultimately Cummins were seen as a threat by Chang, especially when transfer targets were emerging via ‘Jenkins’ Twitter account that were supposedly secret.

Chang made contact with Cummins via Twitter, but not via the ‘Jenkins’ account but rather by the personal account of Cummins. It was in response to a ‘threat’ by ‘Jenkins’ that if a transfer target didn’t materialise “he would give up his dream of making it as a journo and quit Twitter if Sahin didn't sign for LFC.”.

When ‘Jenkins’ didn’t quit Twitter Chang sent a direct message, a personal message only viewable to them both, saying “Back with a new Twitter account so soon after that ‘sabbatical’ eh?”

How did Chang know it was ‘Sean Cummins’? There are many millions of people called Sean in the world, thousands on Twitter. What investigations were sanctioned by Chang and at what actual cost to the club he appeared to be acting on behalf of?

A volley of email traffic was then exchanged between the pair, emails that I can verify as genuine after being shown them in their entirety by Cummins, complete with Chang’s business and mobile telephone numbers listed in his club signature.

These emails culminated in an arrangement to meet in a Manchester restaurant, Evuna, in August.

What resulted from that meeting only the two men who took part in it will ever know. Cummins claims Chang threatened to release a dossier held by him on Cummins to the press, that he would be smeared in the media, that his father’s online business would be targeted, that he may have to move out of his house. More bizarrely it is alleged Chang then went on to say “You know how crazy football fans are, you'll have dog s**t coming through your letterbox” if he didn’t reveal his source, his mole. Cummins states he told Chang how he had stumbled upon the team line-up posts on an internet forum and how he had summarised potential transfer targets from open source media; he reiterated time and time again he had no mole inside LFC.

All the above threats are alleged, however one further threat made by Chang was to revoke Cummins’ season ticket for Anfield, a ticket shared with a close friend and they would both receive a ban from attending Anfield. This claim has been substantiated by Andrew Heaton, chair of the ever popular Liverpool podcast The Anfield Wrap.

Heaton’s Anfield Wrap was dragged into the argument on the morning of 13 October when questions were asked with regard to him being approached by Cummins for help after the meeting but choosing not to act. These questions were raised due to the close ties being made by Heaton and Liverpool FC, that in some way the call for help had been ignored, traded off for closer access to players for articles, tickets to the press box or a more mainstream media approach for the blog inside the club. This allegation was powerfully denied in an article released the next day via The Anfield Wrap website and more so by Heaton himself in the first 7 minutes of Monday’s podcast.

Heaton alluded to 2 ‘unnamed journalists’ in his podcast; one of these unmanned journalists is well known to some. Once this journalist was made aware of the allegations he took control of the situation and decided he would be the one to confront Chang on the threats. He was livid “all guns blazing and chest beating”, he was relentless in his contact with Cummins and threatened all out war with Chang over the intimidation of a fellow supporter over a parody account on a social networking site. However, after a brief exchange with a very senior member at Liverpool Football Club on 24 August, the unmanned journalist went quiet and as cold as ice towards Cummins.

Cummins felt let down, after the strong promises and a genuine intent to confront Chang by a respected national journalist nothing happened. Eventually Cummins was contacted by Heaton via telephone on 31 August to say the threat of the Anfield ban had been rescinded and that the club wanted to forget about the affair and move on, however, the unmanned journalist continued to give Cummins confidence that he would take up the story on his behalf. It never came, the final promise was that it would be saved for a short time after the HIP report, this would have been the week commencing 24 September, this never materialised. Cummins felt he had no option but to go it alone.

Cummins, after waiting weeks on a promise that never came, and in order not to clash with the ongoing reporting of the Hillsborough Independent Panel’s findings, finally broke the news of this himself on 12 October; he used the blog of character ‘Jenkins’ to out the story after feeling let down by 2 large independent Liverpool media outlets.

Cummins rightly wasn’t happy with this outcome, he felt he had been threatened by an executive of a large corporation, treated as a criminal for having a parody account on Twitter that harmed no one, nor caused any offense. He wanted a full investigation at Club level into how one of its senior management figures could be allowed to operate in such a way.

It looks like he will now get his investigation as the Managing Director of Liverpool Football Club, Ian Ayre, has agreed to meet Cummins early next week. Ayre was abroad as the story broke last weekend but returned to the country briefly stating an intention to sort things out after the home game against Reading on Saturday afternoon.

Questions are bound to be asked how someone of Ayre’s position could either allow, or be unaware of, an employee allegedly deploying tactics more akin to racketeering in the early 1920s. How much did Ayre know? Could he of avoided this entire storm by making contact once made aware in August but chose not to?

What of Chang? Did he actually do this? Chang, for his part, has denied making any of these alleged threats, even the one that has been substantiated as true, he has also remained out of contact, refusing to answer emails or answer his phone.

It has brought up ANOTHER big question of just how Liverpool Football Club operates at high level.

A final question of sorts though has been brought up by Ian Herbert, the first mainstream journalist to give the story the platform it deserved, in his article for The Independent dated 16 October Herbert opens with:

This piece feels like a risky one, given that its subject is someone who finds himself on the wrong side of Liverpool FC and that the unspoken threat to sportswriters who consider articulating what clubs don't want to be told is the removal of access and privileges

But that question has already been answered, hasn’t it…?

Chang was out of order for the threats. However Cummins has acted like a bellend and totally exposed and undermined the club.

If he wanted reciprocal action against Chang, he should have reported his complaint to Ayre with the threat of going to the press to make him take notice.

No, I'm afraid not. The only person who has exposed and undermined the club is Chang.

To blame the aggressed in this circumstance is akin to blaming the victim of a an assault for whatever reason the aggressor decided was good enough to assault him in the first place.