You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa away match thread

fowler9

Lovely dig by Kenny when asked about the booing of Downing.

"For their point of view it would have been nice if they had given their team more support than booing Downing!"

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good solid win. Wondered what was going on after 15 minutes, what with the 2 chances leading to 2 goals. Normal service resumed in the 2nd half with the missed chances and the return of the woodwork but I would have been happy enough with 2-0 at the start of the day.

Team is playing some great football at the moment. Such a contrast to this time last year when I think we had a home game postponed and I was actually quite glad because I was completely fed up of watching us by that point (shame the Wolves game shortly afterwards wasn't postponed as well).

Seen Villa a few times recently and they've looked absolutely shocking every time but but you can only beat what's in front of you and with Arsenal and Chelsea dropping points it's been a good weekend and hopefully the start of a good festive period.

I didn't think he had a bad game today. He was often the out ball, and he kept play moving. A bit of recalibration required I think. If Kuyt had put that performance in some people would be shouting for him to be man of the match.

You don't need my help to make yourself look like a massive bellend, but I feel I must point out that Dirk Kuyt usually has slightly better goal/ assist statistics when give a decent run of starts, like Downing has been afforded

Although, while admittedly a record of zero goals and zero assists isn't hard to beat, dirk does average 10 a season and about the same number of assists

Just finished watching a recording of the match. All in all a very satisfying win. The three points were in the bag fairly early on, unless we capitulated, but our defence has been so good that was never really on the cards, especially against a toothless Villa side. The only issue was how many more we would rack up, and as it turned out it stayed at 2-0 for the next hour plus.

Suarez can count himself very unlucky with both his efforts. The first one should have been a goal after he cut back inside on his right, but the cross bar denied him. I would put that down to more of a miss than bad luck, as from that position he should have scored. The second one showed great vision and it was a lovely chip, and it was very unlucky not to go in. Charlie Adam should have scored too, or passed, and we had one or two other chances to increase the lead.

Still, 2-0 away from home. Three points and a clean sheet. That will do.

The most pleasing aspect for me was the football we played. We passed and moved. Most of our players look comfortable in possession, and that has been a basic building block of the great Liverpool sides. We have had a few setbacks and our main teething problem appears to be the low amount of goals we are scoring, but this will come.

I think we are building for something special. Rafa brought us the great European nights and I can never forget Istanbul. Houllier brought a little bit of pride and professionalism and the three trophies. But what Kenny is serving up is altogether different. We do not play on the counter. We do not try to contain teams and hope to nick one. We play good football. We have done this against every team we have played this season, and apart from an insipid display against Spurs, we have looked like a football team throughout (OK there have been one or two lacklustre games besides Spurs, but the main point I'm making is that we are looking like a football team again).

We will reap the rewards if we stay patient and allow this team to grow. Kenny and Steve Clarke are building something special here.

You don't need my help to make yourself look like a massive bellend, but I feel I must point out that Dirk Kuyt usually has slightly better goal/ assist statistics when give a decent run of starts, like Downing has been afforded

Although, while admittedly a record of zero goals and zero assists isn't hard to beat, dirk does average 10 a season and about the same number of assists

I can't imagine when I could possibly need your help for anything Brendan, though while your portfolio of bellendary is undoubtedly impressive, it's not something I aspire to. Thanks anyway.

To be fair to Downing, he has on plenty of occasions this season provided the bullets for our misfiring players to, er, misfire.

My main point was that I didn't feel Downing had a bad game today. He was involved in a lot of our more positive moves, he was always available for the pass out of defence, and by and large he used the ball well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To be fair to Downing, he has on plenty of occasions this season provided the bullets for our misfiring players to, er, misfire.

This is becoming a bit of a myth, in my opinion.

Don't agree that he was good today. I thought he was pretty average. He can play much better than he did. I hope he gets a bit of Christmas pud in his belly and scores a few over the coming weeks. We could really do with it.

If at least 5 chances had been taken, most notably Carroll's header against Swansea, Downing could easily have a decent number of assists.

I like the width that he gives us. Even when he isn't playing that well. He hugs the touch line and it gives us a good shape. For years our wide players have drifted into the middle of the park making it congested.

Just finished watching a recording of the match. All in all a very satisfying win. The three points were in the bag fairly early on, unless we capitulated, but our defence has been so good that was never really on the cards, especially against a toothless Villa side. The only issue was how many more we would rack up, and as it turned out it stayed at 2-0 for the next hour plus.

Suarez can count himself very unlucky with both his efforts. The first one should have been a goal after he cut back inside on his right, but the cross bar denied him. I would put that down to more of a miss than bad luck, as from that position he should have scored. The second one showed great vision and it was a lovely chip, and it was very unlucky not to go in. Charlie Adam should have scored too, or passed, and we had one or two other chances to increase the lead.

Still, 2-0 away from home. Three points and a clean sheet. That will do.

The most pleasing aspect for me was the football we played. We passed and moved. Most of our players look comfortable in possession, and that has been a basic building block of the great Liverpool sides. We have had a few setbacks and our main teething problem appears to be the low amount of goals we are scoring, but this will come.

I think we are building for something special. Rafa brought us the great European nights and I can never forget Istanbul. Houllier brought a little bit of pride and professionalism and the three trophies. But what Kenny is serving up is altogether different. We do not play on the counter. We do not try to contain teams and hope to nick one. We play good football. We have done this against every team we have played this season, and apart from an insipid display against Spurs, we have looked like a football team throughout (OK there have been one or two lacklustre games besides Spurs, but the main point I'm making is that we are looking like a football team again).

We will reap the rewards if we stay patient and allow this team to grow. Kenny and Steve Clarke are building something special here.

+1. Totally this.

Guest davelfc

These ARE worksafe but I've put them in NSFW so the thread doesn't take ages to load for some people. They do appear to stop but that's just them loading.

Suarez hits crossbar

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Suarez-hits-crossbar-against-Villa.gif

Suarez hits post

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Suarez-hits-the-post-against-Villa.gif

From RAWK

I like the width that he gives us. Even when he isn't playing that well. He hugs the touch line and it gives us a good shape. For years our wide players have drifted into the middle of the park making it congested.

Riera and Pennant were two players that would stay wide and offer width. But I think Downing has to produce more and what is frustrating, I think he has the talent to do so.

He seems reluctant to run at defenders and will just make the easy pass or cross. He has to back himself more. as he has the tools to be a real threat, just not the belief.

Riera and Pennant were two players that would stay wide and offer width. But I think Downing has to produce more and what is frustrating, I think he has the talent to do so.

He seems reluctant to run at defenders and will just make the easy pass or cross. He has to back himself more. as he has the tools to be a real threat, just not the belief.

This.

And anyone who thinks Downing is a chalk on the boots winger hasn't been watching him cut inside all year to receive the ball. For me he was as frustrating as ever today, I just wish he would turn with the ball and run at his man a bit more often, rather than picking an easy 5 yard sideways pass instead.

Pennant was in and out of the team and Riera had two good games against the mancs on his debut and Villa at Anfield. Apart from that he was a let down. I wouldn't even class him as an out and out winger.

This.

And anyone who thinks Downing is a chalk on the boots winger hasn't been watching him cut inside all year to receive the ball. For me he was as frustrating as ever today, I just wish he would turn with the ball and run at his man a bit more often, rather than picking an easy 5 yard sideways pass instead.

I agree that he should be more positive when attacking a fullback but I can't recall him drifting inside to receive the ball. On countless times he's cut inside with the ball either to have a shot or to put a ball towards the back post.

I agree that he should be more positive when attacking a fullback but I can't recall him drifting inside to receive the ball. On countless times he's cut inside with the ball either to have a shot or to put a ball towards the back post.

Mate, he does it about 3 or 4 times a game. Admittedly he didnt as much today on the right.

Mate, he does it about 3 or 4 times a game. Admittedly he didnt as much today on the right.

I think it's deliberate though. Early in the season Enrique and him were both making the same runs and getting in each others way. Someone commented on it and a couple of games later it was obvious that they'd changed the tactics a bit and Downing was using the inside channel more.

He is a coward though. An english Riera all a bit meh.

He's got a better shot on him, and is quicker than Riera. He has to play on the right if he's playing. On the left he just gets in Enrique's way, and we really don't need someone just aimlessly whipping crosses in. Especially as, rightly, Carroll isn't playing.

He's 27. He'll never be a great player. But if he plays with some confidence he can at least contribute to our attacks. He was much better at Villa than what we're seeing at the moment.

This is becoming a bit of a myth, in my opinion.

Don't agree that he was good today. I thought he was pretty average. He can play much better than he did. I hope he gets a bit of Christmas pud in his belly and scores a few over the coming weeks. We could really do with it.

What do you mean becoming a myth ?

He has delivered alot of good crosses/passes that with better finnishing should have lead to quite a few goals. Regarding yesterday, i agree he can play much better than that. But at the same time i dont think he was poor by any means.