You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is the greatest person that ever lived?

JohnnyH

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mother Teresa she was one compassionate old bird.
I was talking to a workmate one day about Mother Theresa when he mentioned that his sister had been a nun in Mother Theresa's order in Calcutta. She was a trained nurse at the time but she was frustrated because she could see that the large amounts of money donated weren't being spent on much-needed medical supplies. When she raised the issue she was told that they weren't in the business of saving lives, they were in the business of saving souls. Although my mate's sister was a devout Catholic she felt that this was wrong. She left the order, gave up being a nun and wrote a book about her experience. Because I was interested, my mate arranged a meeting one day. It was an interesting meeting to say the least and she lent me a copy of her manuscript which was eventually published.

One of the things she mentioned was that she got the impression that MT had at some time in her past had committed a great sin that she was trying to atone for by "saving souls". She stressed that it was just an impression though.

Interesting bird, as I said. She graduated in medicine and went to work in remote Aboriginal communities...and became an atheist.

Albert Einstein and Adolf Hitler. Yes I know they are two conflicting choices but hear me out. Hitler had the right idea but blew it at the end by getting greedy and trying to take on the Russians. He wasn't a bad dictator, he just made a few bad decisions.

Am I missing something?

I'd probably have to go for Tom Paine, not sure there's anyone who has had a more significant impact on trying giving rights to individuals regardless of stature. He was a major player in the French Revolution, pretty much wrote the US constitution, was a force in the abolition of slavery and took apart the bible using only the bible itself (back in the eighteenth century).

Thomas Paine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Albert Einstein and Adolf Hitler. Yes I know they are two conflicting choices but hear me out. Hitler had the right idea but blew it at the end by getting greedy and trying to take on the Russians. He wasn't a bad dictator, he just made a few bad decisions.

Time I paid my dues so that I can rep you back. I like your style and thought your post last night seemed 'a little out of character.' I am prepared to give you another chance. This once!