You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Details on our last five trips to Upton Park:

West Ham 0-3 Liverpool

Premier League – May 2009

A Steven Gerrard double helped move Liverpool back top. The captain's first-half brace and a late tap-in from supersub Ryan Babel meant Rafa Benitez's side had scored 101 goals in all competitions in 2008-09, 23 of which belonged to Gerrard. More importantly, the Reds were now above Manchester United on goal difference - though two games in hand ultimately proved decisive for Alex Ferguson's champions elect.

West Ham 1-0 Liverpool

Premier League – January 2008

An injury-time penalty gave West Ham all three points in a game the Reds should have won. Mark Noble beat Pepe Reina with virtually the last kick of the game after Jamie Carragher's lunge on Freddy Ljungberg prompted Alan Wiley to point to the spot. The result left Benitez's squad 17 points adrift of leaders Manchester United.

West Ham 1-2 Liverpool

Premiership – January 2007

Benitez selected an ambitious 3-4-3 formation for this trip to Upton Park, with the Reds, or Yellows on this particular Tuesday night, attacking the hosts from the off. The first chance fell to Carragher, who fired over with a rare left-foot shot on nine minutes. The goals eventually came at the start of the second half – and spectacular efforts from Dirk Kuyt and Peter Crouch were certainly worth the wait. The win was our ninth in 10 league outings, a run which, despite Liverpool's rocky start to the campaign, had the top two of Chelsea and United glancing over their shoulders – for a few weeks at least.

West Ham 1-2 Liverpool

Premiership – April 2006

Liverpool kept hopes of a second-place finish alive after two goals from Djibril Cisse secured a 2-1 victory over FA Cup final opponents West Ham. One sour note was the sending off of Luis Garcia following a scuffle with Hayden Mullins – both would now miss the said final. For the Hammers, Yossi Benayoun showcased the talents which would eventually persuade Benitez to bring him to Anfield.

West Ham 0-3 Liverpool

Premiership – February 2003

Liverpool took just five minutes to justify Gerard Houllier's surprise decision to rest Michael Owen, Milan Baros firing a bullet header into David James' net. Three minutes later Gerrard hit a blistering goal from 30 yards. The Reds' 200th Premiership win was rounded off by Emile Heskey in the second half. John Arne Riise, creator of both earlier goals, was again instrumental as James failed to hold on to his corner. Heskey nipped in to bundle in his third goal in three Premiership games. The result left Liverpool just three points behind Everton and Champions League-placed Chelsea.

I would like to see this team:

.............Reina

Johnson Carra Skrtel Insua

....Gerrard Mascherano

..Kuyt...Benayoun...Riera

............Torres

Yeah me too. Either Gerrard/Mascherano or Lucas/Gerrard but definitely not Lucas and Mascherano for me - they seem to bring out the worst in each other. Definitely Yossi behind Torres - he cuts in too much even when he's on the right.

Didn't we start Lucas and Masc there last season? Wouldn't be surprised if we revert to type for this one.

Also I'm sure Babel has scored a few against them so I have a sneaky feeling he may get a game, having said that.

-----------Reina----------

Johnson---Skrtel---Carra----Insua

Yossi----Gerrard-----Masc----Riera

--------------kuyt-----

-------------Torres-------------

A really tough game this one. We're more than capable of winning and should do so, but it's a tough place to go, no doubt about it.

I hope our approach to the game is positive and we go after the three points from the start.

A point wouldn't really be helpful considering the fact that we've lost two games already.

We've won 4 out of our last 5 trips to Upton Park, which surprises me a bit as I always look at it as a fixture we struggle in.

Just goes to show that we expect to win games like this, so it's not particularly memorable when we do.

We've won 4 out of our last 5 trips to Upton Park, which surprises me a bit as I always look at it as a fixture we struggle in.

Just goes to show that we expect to win games like this, so it's not particularly memorable when we do.

I was just going to post the same thing!

I didn't realise we had won four out of five there. I feel a little more optimistic now! The one we lost (when Noble scored?) was a horrible game.

I'm happy with the team apart from the Lucas-Mascherano axis in midfield. I think it's not creative enough and we're relying on the front two and wide players to create again.

I think it's really positive that Rafa is picking a very settled side these days though. He's been criticised in the past for messing about with the team too much so he deserves credit for now keeping it settled and consistent.

Come on redmen!

Big mistake by Rafa picking Lucas and Mascher, I thought he had learnt his lesson

The annoying thing is that he picks them for defensive protection but we are far worse defensively when they both play. Gerrard & Mascher is a much stronger defensive unit.

Lets hope its not a talking point after the game