You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Beardsley & John Barnes

StevieH

Imagine how good a front three of Torres, Beardsley and Barnes would be, with Gerrard dropping slightly deeper in midfield.

Just splattered my keyboard!!

Beardsley is,and always will be my idol,and i grew up with Kenny.

There was just something about Peter,i always preferred him before Johnny.

What a team that was though,and funny it should come up.I fell out with a Manc in work the other day,he reckoned the utd side of 99 was the best side in living memory.

i argued that no side could live with the side we had in 88.

Dave wrote an article in the last issue,that todays team,against that side,would be much better,i would disagree.

Thats the best football from any side ive seen in my time(And im 35 now)

Hansen, McMahon, Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge are probably the stand out players from that period, but Steve Nicol was a class act too. Great defensively and superb going forward. Does anyone remember that hat-trick away at Newcastle in a 4-1 victory? What a great all round player.

what happened with john barnes then? when i started supporting the reds in 94 he was average

Injuries took their toll. He was 31 by then and we had seen the best of Digger as a left winger. Turn to ch 442 and watch Barnes at his best v QPR at Anfield in 1987.

Souness made a lot of mistakes as a manager, but none of them as big as selling Beardsley and for that he should never be forgiven.

Yes, I agree, and the same goes for Rafa if he decides to sell John Arne this season.

personally, i would say the liverpool team from 77/78 period was the best side we had and the best side the country has seen. My dad who is in his 90s reckons that liverpool team would just shade a game against the busby babes (though he reckons duncan edwards was the best player he ever saw).

our team in 87/88 playing against ac milan 0f 8990 would have been a cracking match.

it's hard to put value on players. hansen and lawrenson were two of the best players i ever saw but barnsie would probably be worth 2/3 times more in financial value because of the attacking threat which he offered.

Barnes 45 million; beardsley 30 mil; nicol 20 mil; whelan 25 mil; aldridge 15 mil (wasn't young at that time); hansen 10 mil (was getting on - but still the best centre half in england by a mile); houghton 15 mil; brucie 15 mil; gillespie 10 mil; molby 30 mil. craig johnson 12 mil; mcmahon 25 mil; lawrenson 20 mil

rushie in today's money would be 35 mil no doubt.

This is not an exact science, but I would imagine that we would be tempted to put too high of a valuation on Barnes and Beardsley, given we know what they went on to do in their Liverpool careers. At the time of signing, Beardsley (if memory serves me well) was a 'sure thing' at £1.9M (was that a record?) So by today's standards, that would make him a solid £20M player (possibly more).

Barnes is the trickier one to value. He had played very well for Watford, and though they put in some good displays in the top division (did they even finish runner up one year?), they were clearly a smaller side who could never hold on to their better players. I think Barnes went for £900K, though at the time there was a small doubt that he would make it big with Liverpool, even though his skill was never undoubted. At the time of purchase I would liken it to something like an Ashley Young type of signing - exciting young player, but with the best yet to come.

With hindsight, Barnes would be worth a good £30M in today's market, but at the time we bought him it was impossible to say he would go on to the THAT good for us.

personally, i would say the liverpool team from 77/78 period was the best side we had and the best side the country has seen. My dad who is in his 90s reckons that liverpool team would just shade a game against the busby babes (though he reckons duncan edwards was the best player he ever saw).

our team in 87/88 playing against ac milan 0f 8990 would have been a cracking match.

it's hard to put value on players. hansen and lawrenson were two of the best players i ever saw but barnsie would probably be worth 2/3 times more in financial value because of the attacking threat which he offered.

Barnes 45 million; beardsley 30 mil; nicol 20 mil; whelan 25 mil; aldridge 15 mil (wasn't young at that time); hansen 10 mil (was getting on - but still the best centre half in england by a mile); houghton 15 mil; brucie 15 mil; gillespie 10 mil; molby 30 mil. craig johnson 12 mil; mcmahon 25 mil; lawrenson 20 mil

rushie in today's money would be 35 mil no doubt.

Brucie 15 mill :eek:

what happened with john barnes then? when i started supporting the reds in 94 he was average

All I can say mate is get the John Barnes Story on DVD or video. whenever I am bored I just stick it on.

He was unbelievable.

There is a game where we play a game at Plough Lane against Wimbledon and he does this trick with his back turned to about three players and turns and beat the threee of them with one flick. Kenny, Roy Evans and Beardsely are all on the bench in the background and all three jaws just drop in awe of what they have just seen.

• 15 years later...
41 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge should never have been broken up.

Nearest attacker we’ve had to come near the 1st 2 was Suarez. 

They were THAT good

They should have been built around for about 5 years very stupid to let Aldo go 

44 minutes ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Not when Rushie became available,imagine the outcry it he'd gone to Utd or Everton!

I totally agree but Aldo should have stayed but players didn’t do rotation back then 

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Didn't think I'd end up listening to a podcast with Shearer, Lineker and Richards but thought I'd see what Beardsley had to say and it's worth a listen.

Very modest. he was nowhere near shit for the first few months. His so called shit was still miles ahead of most player's best.

• Upvote 1