You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Beardsley & John Barnes

StevieH

Is it just me who thinks we sold Beardsley at the right time then? He was 29 going on 30 and hadn't recreated his best form for a long while, and we got nearly 2 million for him.

Just another excuse to lay into Souey, IMO.

Is it just me who thinks we sold Beardsley at the right time then? He was 29 going on 30 and hadn't recreated his best form for a long while, and we got nearly 2 million for him.

Just another excuse to lay into Souey, IMO.

No Beardsley was still class,even when he was at Newcastle,he was better than Saunders or Clough!

N'ah, Beardsley was still Priemership quality 5 or 6 years later. Regardless of money we got, sold him far too early.

JB - my favourite Red ever. Pure class and quality footballer. A lot of current veterans who played with him in their younger and his older days still call him one of the best they've played with or against.

Barnes is still the best player I've seen in a red shirt. Unfortuntaley was just too young to see the like of Dalglish and Souness in their prime.

I have to agree and i did see both and a lot of others besides the man was class skill and style rolled into one

Best Liverpool team I ever saw.

There's a good number of well respected footballing 'people' who would say that was the best English team of all time. I wouldn't disagree. I've still yet to see a better player playing in England than Barnes.

Liverpool v's AC Milan in 88 would have been one hell of a fucking game

Did we take John Barnes for granted ? I think we were spoilt and after a few years suddenly if he did not beat 6 men a stick it in the top corner we got a little miffed

I would have to say he was the best attacking player I have ever seen.It was indeed a pleasure to watch him play.

Let us not forget he also talked very fast as well.

Best Liverpool team I ever saw. And that season was the first time I went to every game home and away in all competitions. 63 I think.

John Barnes was pure class,something I'd never saw before in a red shirt, a player who beat people.

Beardsley was class, he scored a couple of good goals at Coventry away,but sort of struggled early on but come december was on fire and a joy to watch. The whole team were.

Barnes today £60m

Beardsley £25m

He certainly did, in fact myself and the good old moaners in the Kemlyn had him down as a huge pile of expensive shite......We were wrong on this occasion.

Best Liverpool team I ever saw. And that season was the first time I went to every game home and away in all competitions. 63 I think.

John Barnes was pure class,something I'd never saw before in a red shirt, a player who beat people.

Beardsley was class, he scored a couple of good goals at Coventry away,but sort of struggled early on but come december was on fire and a joy to watch. The whole team were.

Barnes today £60m

Beardsley £25m

what price Johnny on the spot then