You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Caoimhín Kelleher

Carradona

6 hours ago, Joso said:

Yes I agree, but second keepers tend to be older for a reason. Right now Kelleher, who is only 23, has to feel he is talented enough to start somewhere and grow as a footballer, I'm just saying, Id rather loan him than outright lose him. 

This is why I think Klopp has played a blinder by giving him the League Cup, including the final. It doesn't just say "I've got faith in you"; it also says "stay here and you can get big games".

On 28/02/2022 at 18:27, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Very happy for the lad and he’s come on well from those first few games where he seemed to concede every shot at goal. Would’ve wanted him to save a pen to win it but scoring a pen to win it will have to do.

not at all wanting to be critical of him but just to recognise there’s growth needed from here: those 3 goals they had disallowed, the first he got a big paw on, but didn’t keep out. That one would probably have been a great save if made, but by it going in it looked a bit ropey.

The other two though, top keepers save them both, and he got nowhere near.

room to grow.

They didn’t have goals disallowed, for two chances they were well caught offside and played on because of a stupid rule that needs to change

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

They didn’t have goals disallowed, for two chances they were well caught offside and played on because of a stupid rule that needs to change

Semantics. While you’re right, my point was that he - when making an effort to save them both - got comfortably beaten by both, and neither should beat a top goalie so it shows the growth he needs to make still.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Semantics. While you’re right, my point was that he - when making an effort to save them both - got comfortably beaten by both, and neither should beat a top goalie so it shows the growth he needs to make still.

Bit harsh mate. If you think about it, even Alli's been 'comfortably' beaten by goals at times. A goal is a fucking big area to defend.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Bit harsh mate. If you think about it, even Alli's been 'comfortably' beaten by goals at times. A goal is a fucking big area to defend.

Yeah, I know. And it’s not criticism, it’s expected that he’s not the finished deal at his age and this stage of his career with very little first team football.

the fact he made 2 or 3 very, very good saves, and didnt fuck anything up - at all - is extremely promising, but there’s a lot of growth needed for him to be the real deal is all I’m saying.

i actually think he should stay here for his benefit, as well as ours.

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I agree with @Bob Spunkmouse on the Lukaku one, that was very close to him and you’d want the keeper to save it. Thought Konate could have done better on that too. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I agree with @Bob Spunkmouse on the Lukaku one, that was very close to him and you’d want the keeper to save it. Thought Konate could have done better on that too. 

Even Ray Clemence was beaten by a soft shot in the 76 FA Cup Final. It's football. Not every goal can be stopped.

26 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Even Ray Clemence was beaten by a soft shot in the 76 FA Cup Final. It's football. Not every goal can be stopped.

Reina had a shocker in the 2006 FA Cup Final too (as did Carra), so yeah I get what you are saying Dockers.

I suppose with a younger player they don’t have the benefit of a full career of quality play to put it into perspective.

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

When the ball is 'very close' to a keeper you are talking about the most difficult places for a keeper to save it,especially given how tall modern keepers now are. Strikers often work on putting the ball in those areas. Robbie Fowler was particularly good at doing it and most natural goalscorers are too.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

When the ball is 'very close' to a keeper you are talking about the most difficult places for a keeper to save it,especially given how tall modern keepers now are. Strikers often work on putting the ball in those areas. Robbie Fowler was particularly good at doing it and most natural goalscorers are too.

That might be true, but too goalies get something on that more often than not.

it’s not a criticism of him to say he’s still got development ahead of him, its pretty obvious really.

in the same breath, there’s plenty of experienced, senior goalies that don’t make the first save from Pulisic or the save with the feet late on from Lukaku, so he still is deserving of praise.

And as importantly, he didn’t fuck anything up. At this stage of his career, in his first senior final, I guess his first game at Wembley, certainly a full Wembley, that’s a big achievement.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Not sure that’s what Lukaku was doing, he just had his head down and twatted it.

14 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

To be fair, he was nearly 200 miles away and Alex Stepney got no nearer.

Haha, fat fingers again, yeah, the 77 final.

Of course Kelleher has development ahead of him. Lot's say this or that keeper should have got this or that but sometimes they dont for whatever reason. Alli's got a good hand onto a couple of goals, one was against West Ham recently, cant remember the other one.

Someone bombed one into the top bin against Kelleher, was it Leicester, and loads went alli would have stopped that. I dont think he would have.

14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

All keepers, even the greats, make big mistakes. But they are great 99% of the time which is why you get to finals to begin with. Kelleher is a great talent and I'm made up for him. Boyhood Red, calm as fuck and there when we needed him. The best compliment I can give him is i feel completely relaxed when he plays. Compare that to years of James, Mingnolet, Karius etc and I'd say he's a step up from all of those wankers. 

1 hour ago, TheRedMachine said:

All keepers, even the greats, make big mistakes. But they are great 99% of the time which is why you get to finals to begin with. Kelleher is a great talent and I'm made up for him. Boyhood Red, calm as fuck and there when we needed him. The best compliment I can give him is i feel completely relaxed when he plays. Compare that to years of James, Mingnolet, Karius etc and I'd say he's a step up from all of those wankers. 

You can see it with good goalies as well, that if they do make a mistake, they aren't fazed by it. Doesn't knock them off their game at all. They'll step up and make a huge save next time they're needed. Alisson is great for this, Kelleher is getting there too.

Compare that to the mental weakness shown by the likes of Mignolet or Adrian. There's a reason we started winning more things when Alisson turned up.

• Upvote 1

The other thing I love about Kelleher - and this is something Alisson clearly works on as well - is when he makes a tough save and he can't catch the ball, he gets it safe. It's touched behind, or knocked well wide, or punched fucking MILES away. None of this palming a shot out to an onrushing striker bullshit.