You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

21 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yes, like what happened with the Dominic Cummings Bernard Castle fiasco or with the Pritti Patel bullying issue. However once Johnson had made it clear that they weren't being sacked, people moaned about it, but then have to move on. The same applied here. The Tories would have made a big deal of it for up to a week, but then would have had to move on.

As I've said before, Starmer is going to make himself unpopular amongst almost every demographic the way he is going.

Exactly, everything has a shelf life and after the initial bluster it would have blown over. Now it's a huge clusterfuck.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, A Red said:

To be a leftie it seems as though you have to proclaim your support for Palestine, fair enough, they deserve not to be killed and have the same human rights as anyone else. Why is Israel given far more attention than any other country that does shit things? What incenses so many educated lefties that they spend so much time on the topic? Is it that they see Israel = Jews = Capitalism? 

I think that the average voter might care about people being oppressed or killed around the world but doesnt see a difference between Palestine and, say, Burma or Congo, and certainly wont have their vote swayed over it.

I genuinely dont understand the completely disproportionate consideration given to the Israel/Jews/Palestine issue.

It’s not difficult to understand (and that last sentence of your first paragraph is a particularly vile smear, btw).

"Lefties" campaign against racism, oppression and state violence everywhere.   We campaign against it in (for example) Myanmar and Western governments respond by putting political and economic pressure on the offending country to quit its low-down ways.  In some countries (such as Iran) the Western governments already exert pressure without "Lefties" needing to campaign too hard.  Even Saudi Arabia has had to make a few (token?) concessions to Human Rights in order to stay in the gang.

Israel is different.  For decades Israel has committed human rights abuses on a grotesque scale and has been rewarded with economic, political and military support from Western governments  (most noticeably the US and its snivelly little sidekick).

Maybe if our governments started treating Israel the same as any other nation, you'd see "Lefties" do the same.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Then explain the fact the far left have cosied up to Russia for so long?  They had murder on an industrial scale for decades.  Some of the leadership were  former communists weren’t they? 

Isn't Seamus Milne some wannabe Commie, who also wanted Brexit so that the country could cosy up with the Russians?

He surrounded himself with some complete head-the-balls.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Then explain the fact the far left have cosied up to Russia for so long?  They had murder on an industrial scale for decades.  Some of the leadership were  former communists weren’t they? 

What do you mean? Murder in communist Russia? 

It's actually much more complex than the modern day 10 second explanation of what happened in the Soviet Union. 

George Bernard Shaw and HG Wells were among the 'travellers' who were supportive of communism.  But that's not surprising when you consider Churchill was a fan of Mussolini for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

I don't have to explain the actions of any fringe dickheads who may exist. I've never met, I don't know and I've never even read anything by anyone who considers themselves left-wing and who "cosies up to Russia".

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It’s not difficult to understand (and that last sentence of your first paragraph is a particularly vile smear, btw).

"Lefties" campaign against racism, oppression and state violence everywhere.   We campaign against it in (for example) Myanmar and Western governments respond by putting political and economic pressure on the offending country to quit its low-down ways.  In some countries (such as Iran) the Western governments already exert pressure without "Lefties" needing to campaign too hard.  Even Saudi Arabia has had to make a few (token?) concessions to Human Rights in order to stay in the gang.

Israel is different.  For decades Israel has committed human rights abuses on a grotesque scale and has been rewarded with economic, political and military support from Western governments  (most noticeably the US and its snivelly little sidekick).

Maybe if our governments started treating Israel the same as any other nation, you'd see "Lefties" do the same.

I'm sorry but I do find it difficult to understand. China. For grotesque, read industrial stretching back just as long. Hardly a peep in comparison.

Why the quotation marks for lefties? Is it insulting for a non leftie to call you a leftie? Are you happy for other lefties to call you a leftie or indeed for you to call yourself a leftie? Have I over used the term leftie?

11 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Didn’t Labour choose to debate Palestine over NHS and Brexit at the Liverpool conference? That can’t be right Shirley.

They lost loads of Indian votes due to passing a resolution on Kashmir at the conference last year I think.

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I asked the question "What incenses so many educated lefties that they spend so much time on the topic? Is it that they see Israel = Jews = Capitalism? "

The man that you supported lead a left wing labour party found guilty of unlawful anti Semitic acts of discrimination and harassment and political interference in to complaints of antisemitism. It is not a vile smear to ask why the emphasis on this topic.

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

I asked the question "What incenses so many educated lefties that they spend so much time on the topic? Is it that they see Israel = Jews = Capitalism? "

The man that you supported lead a left wing labour party found guilty of unlawful anti Semitic acts of discrimination and harassment and political interference in to complaints of antisemitism. It is not a vile smear to ask why the emphasis on this topic.

Do you think Corbyn is anti-Semitic? 

16 minutes ago, A Red said:

I dont know, I have never accused him of it but he did lead a party that was found guilty of it.

"a party that was found guilty of it" yeah they are all vicious anti-semites. 

The PM wrote a book that depicted Jews controlling the media. Shakespeare wrote The Merchant of Venice which perpetuates stereotypes against Jews. 

I don't see the clamour to label them as anti-semitic. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

"a party that was found guilty of it" yeah they are all vicious anti-semites. 

The PM wrote a book that depicted Jews controlling the media. Shakespeare wrote The Merchant of Venice which perpetuates stereotypes against Jews. 

I don't see the clamour to label them as anti-semitic. 

They were.

What aboutery 

10 minutes ago, A Red said:

My point was about the left being obsessed with Palestine/Israel and asking why? The PM isnt left wing and I dont know about Shakespeare. 

I think debating an invasion and an apartheid state is something worth debating. Not sure about you. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think debating an invasion and an apartheid state is something worth debating. Not sure about you. 

You're missing my point. Of course it is but the other equally bad or worse regimes around the world dont get anywhere near the attention from the left. Thats what I cant understand.

"Not sure about you" I'll let that slide because I like you

• Upvote 1