You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Average players you REALLY wanted us to sign....

aRdja

Really wanted us to sign Christian Zeige about 4 years befor we finally did, and another vote for Peter Ndlovu, if only for the potential chant, "Ndlovu, yeh, yeh ,yeh"...

About 4 years before we signed Ziege he was far from average; at a time when we played with wing backs he was arguably the best left-sided one in the world.

By the time we did sign him he had become a bit mediocre.

He was looking good at the time but i wanted Mancini (The winger at Roma). Feel off the face of the earth not long after

Oh and i really wantin Drenthe when was in that Dutch U21 team with Babel.

Thought he was going to be another out the mould of a Davids/Seedorf

About 4 years before we signed Ziege he was far from average; at a time when we played with wing backs he was arguably the best left-sided one in the world.

By the time we did sign him he had become a bit mediocre.

He was still a good player IMO.. he just wasn’t a left back or a left midfielder.

At one point I regaled friends with the undiscovered talents of Ricardo Vaz Te. They, to their eternal credit , said he was shit & history tends to support them.

Don't be hard on yourself sir roger. I hold the view if we had signed ricardo we would be on title number 22 and european cup number 7 or 8. What could have been eh....

Going back to around 1999, there was a guy at Anderlecht called Walter Baseggio who was a left back or wing back. At the time, we really needed a left back because we were playing central defenders in that position (I think we'd either sold Stig Bjornebye or he was out of favour), and on Eurosport highlights he looked decent. A couple of years later, we signed a MUCH better player in Riise. No idea what happened with old Walter but I'm guessing he never rose above Jupiler League standard.

Around 2014, I was really hoping we'd sign Swiss left back Ricardo Rodriguez. He'd been very good for a couple of years and had a strong showing at the 2014 World Cup. Excellent left foot, reasonably quick (if not pacy) and seemingly solid defensively. He seems to have fallen off a cliff in the last couple of years. Milan signed him in the summer for a fortune, and he has looked the definition of bang-average.

Maybe I should steer clear of recommending left backs.