You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suicide

Fowlers God

I'm sorry to hear that Dennis, using the suicide of somebody close doesn't strengthen your position in terms of understanding the pros and cons of medication used to treat depression. But really, it's not even about that. Just stop posting for a minute and go back and examine your behaviour on this thread. I'm normally quite entertained by some of your posts, but you're just being a cunt on here.

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry to hear that Dennis, using the suicide of somebody close doesn't strengthen your position in terms of understanding the pros and cons of medication used to treat depression. But really, it's not even about that. Just stop posting for a minute and go back and examine your behaviour on this thread. I'm normally quite entertained by some of your posts, but you're just being a cunt on here.

No its something which through experience ive researched and this is what experts in the feild and their own trials show. I cudnt afford to be a cunt and wrong on the subject too im perfectly correct when i step or i dont step and certainly not on an issue close to my heart which events led to me to look closely and understand it as with any threat that strikes at home.

Ive put the hours in on the actual science twentyfold than what my naysayers have or they just simply wouldnt react that way im trusting science by the qualified and you are not.

• Downvote 2

Research isn't a match for first hand experience Den, and I can confirm I was in hell before I got my hands on Glaxo's finest. Do I want to be on them long term? Absolutely not, were they the only solution to an acute problem? Absolutely yes. I'm not naive saying that, I merely bear witness.

• Upvote 2

My friends young daughter was cremated today, it was family only for the service, so a few of us went to the bridge to say our goodbyes before going to the family home. I always knew it was a high bridge, it connects the mainland to the Island. Today I actually took the time to look over the side. There is something about people that have made that step that puts me in some kind of awe of how brave they are (were) I grew up hearing the mantra of suicide being a cowards way out, selfish ect, and having experienced poor mental health myself, I know it's anything but that. Today, seeing those steps she took, knowing the pain she must have been in to feel that was her only escape was to climb over the rails and fall. My heart aches. The ifs, buts, should've, could've's are coming thick and fast, I loved this kid, and I know I'd have continued to love the adult she would have become. 

Depression should never be allowed to reach that point, why is it our society still keeps it as a taboo subject, why is it we're still expected to never truly say how we feel, I dare say many of you who have been to seek professional help even played it down to the gp. Why? Why do we do that? Why is it we can't say, I feel like crap and I honestly don't know how I can go on another day? Surely if we can't do it as adults, we would expect our younger population to say it? 

It sucks.

How old was she, Sherri?

Apparently there's actually something called a 'highly sensitive person'. You actually have more empathy neurons than other people or some shit. I've always been the type of person for whom other people are an open book, I can suss people within minutes. Read their body language, tell when they're lying, I can go into a room and tell who fancies who and who hates who.

No offence, Mark, but that's a really shit superpower. You're not getting into The Avengers or X-Men with that. Justice League - maybe.

I can empathise to a degree, I can walk into a room and know everyone hates me.

This is a forum, not a room.

• Upvote 3

Research isn't a match for first hand experience Den, and I can confirm I was in hell before I got my hands on Glaxo's finest. Do I want to be on them long term? Absolutely not, were they the only solution to an acute problem? Absolutely yes. I'm not naive saying that, I merely bear witness.

Ive listed my first hand experience how do you know if they were the only solution? A ridiculous suggestion the fact is there is no system to deal with mental health when the trillions given for bank bailouts and wars could literally pay for us all to have our own therapist not that im suggesting It mind. We dont have that like they didnt used to have peniccillin it didnt make whatever superstitious treatment they used to use before then work either.

If you havent done as much swotting up on independant research than how can you tell and claim to not be naive of the tablets you cannot judge if they are working because you are on drugs not comparing you to a lemonadehed but they all swear by whatever drug they are on my suicide committing out of character freind gave me similar assurances they were ok.. Research for yourself whatever it is you are taking they can have longer term effects even taking them short term.

Maybe research might help you diagnose the underlying cause or help you rule things in or out and mean you dont have to take pills that make make your head feel better but destroy your liver or kidneys an area a psychatric doctor is not qualified in just a dentist reccomending flouride for your teeth hasnt any right to comment on the effect on the rest of your body.

I agree that Drs some time are too quick to dish out a pill but when there are so little resources available to mental health workers within the community I would rather they handed me a pill (if I was in that situation) than just to leave me alone going out my senses not knowing what to do.

Also I opened a new push chair for my lad the other day and noticed the instructions told me to remove my child before folding. Of course I fucking am but its there so I don't sue the company if I do.

Not being funny but someone with severe depression is more likely to commit suicide than someone who is of sound mental health and not taking tablets. It's more of a get out of jail card for the manufacturing companies than a severe side effect.

And as zig said, I'd rather take that 0.01% chance that these tablets wouldn't make me better than the feelings I was having if mentally ill.

Ive listed my first hand experience how do you know if they were the only solution? A ridiculous suggestion the fact is there is no system to deal with mental health when the trillions given for bank bailouts and wars could literally pay for us all to have our own therapist not that im suggesting It mind. We dont have that like they didnt used to have peniccillin it didnt make whatever superstitious treatment they used to use before then work either.

If you havent done as much swotting up on independant research than how can you tell and claim to not be naive of the tablets you cannot judge if they are working because you are on drugs not comparing you to a lemonadehed but they all swear by whatever drug they are on my suicide committing out of character freind gave me similar assurances they were ok.. Research for yourself whatever it is you are taking they can have longer term effects even taking them short term.

Maybe research might help you diagnose the underlying cause or help you rule things in or out and mean you dont have to take pills that make make your head feel better but destroy your liver or kidneys an area a psychatric doctor is not qualified in just a dentist reccomending flouride for your teeth hasnt any right to comment on the effect on the rest of your body.

Dennis, you clearly have very strong feelings about the pharmaceutical industry and the inadequacy of services available to people with mental health issues but trolling this thread with them and then ignoring repeated requests to take your opinions elsewhere is just crass beyond belief.

I've asked nicely, would you just take the hint now

I agree that Drs some time are too quick to dish out a pill but when there are so little resources available to mental health workers within the community I would rather they handed me a pill (if I was in that situation) than just to leave me alone going out my senses not knowing what to do.

Also I opened a new push chair for my lad the other day and noticed the instructions told me to remove my child before folding. Of course I fucking am but its there so I don't sue the company if I do.

Not being funny but someone with severe depression is more likely to commit suicide than someone who is of sound mental health and not taking tablets. It's more of a get out of jail card for the manufacturing companies than a severe side effect.

And as zig said, I'd rather take that 0.01% chance that these tablets wouldn't make me better than the feelings I was having if mentally ill.

These are statistically sound control groups theyre no better than placebos.

Dennis, you clearly have very strong feelings about the pharmaceutical industry and the inadequacy of services available to people with mental health issues but trolling this thread with them and then ignoring repeated requests to take your opinions elsewhere is just crass beyond belief.

I've asked nicely, would you just take the hint now

Sorry to intrude your thread mam.

How old was she, Sherri?

She was 15, mate. 

It's just beyond sad, Sherry. Poor poor girl. And her family and everyone who knew her. It makes you want to hold your kids so tightly x

It's really odd. I've known one of my other daughters mates to pass away through physical health issues, it seemed so much easier to get your head around. I never expected this, I knew she was poorly, I knew she'd been admitted since the end of feb, I knew things were intense, I always thought the medical profession and her would win the battle in the end. 

She was 15, mate.

It's really odd. I've known one of my other daughters mates to pass away through physical health issues, it seemed so much easier to get your head around. I never expected this, I knew she was poorly, I knew she'd been admitted since the end of feb, I knew things were intense, I always thought the medical profession and her would win the battle in the end.

Jesus. 15. Absolutely devastating. So sorry, Sherri.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Depression and suicide is a massive issue in this country. I'm a sufferer myself (anti depressants fairly constantly for the last ten years).

The culture here was one of "harden up, deal with it, thats what men do" which was unfortunately not the right way to deal with it at all. Then ex-All Black John Kirwan came forward as a sufferer, and the work he's done since has been phenomenal. The All Black is the epitome of the "real man" here, and for one of them to come out and say "we've got to talk about this" was the best thing that could have happened.

Anyway, theres an excellent website here . Some good tips for getting through it.

I can't stress enough the importance of talking to someone. Don't bottle anything up. Don't think for a second that nobody wants to hear it, because I guarantee the people that love you would rather you phone them for a chat at 2am than be woken up by a policeman at the door.

Theres a way through it. Good luck.

Just had to quote myself to say that I was privileged to meet John Kirwan this evening. He was giving a talk on depression locally and me and Mrs D both being sufferers thought we would go along for a listen.

He hung around at the end for photos, handshakes etc. Didn't have my phone with me so couldn't get a photo, but managed to get a brief chat with him. Just a genuine, down to earth caring guy. Good on ya John.

Can I just wade in with my opinion, because although Dennis might not have put his case forward very sensitively, it is important not to brush over what he's saying, as there is more than a grain of truth in it.

Study after study has shown that SSRIs are no more effective than a placebo in mild to moderate depression, that is true. However, they are massively more effective than a placebo in severe depression. Just wanted to clear that up.

People are at a much greater increased risk of suicide when they are first prescribed anti-depressants. Whether that is caused by the drugs themselves or the severity of their illness is up for debate, but it's important to be aware of this. Keep a close eye on anyone you know who has recently been put on meds, and make sure they're aware of the risk, and encourage them to talk to you or someone else if they do begin to  feel suicidal.

I have felt truly suicidal twice in my life. The first time was when I'd been put on Champix for stopping smoking. The second time was earlier this year when I'd been injected with progesterone (a female hormone) for period problems. I was taken into hospital on that occasion. It's been a really tough year and I'm feeling much better all the time, although I've been told it could take up to a year for the progesterone to get out of my system, I'm seeing a big improvement month on month. My point is, medications (whether anti-depressants or otherwise) can have a huge impact on a person's state of mind. There's no point sweeping that under the carpet.

I can't take anti-depressants. They fuck me up massively. Before I got admitted to hospital, I was put on Seroxat. It made all my muscles seize up, so that my limbs were all twisted and my face contorted. It was agony. I'm not exagerrating when I say I looked like Steven Hawking. A psychiatrist walked past me and took one look at me and said to a nurse "Get her off the Seroxat immediately". Now this doctor knew straight away what was causing it. It seems obvious to me that it must be a fairly common problem if it was so obvious to him. They tried me on different anti-depressants and none of them suit me. They reached the conclusion that I've got such a hyper-sensitive brain chemistry that most things fuck me up quite easily. I try not to even take so much as a paracetamol now if I can help it.

That doesn't mean I'm anti-meds. They help too many people to be written off, but there are enormous negatives for some people, which many medics seem reluctant to admit. Interestingly, psychiatrists are the first people to acknowledge the problems, whereas GPs tend to fob you off and think they're a miracle cure.

Saying that, I do think they're hugely over-prescribed and I think that's because we've all been brainwashed into believing we should all feel great and happy all of the time. I think that's bullshit. People who are going through shit and are feeling understandably low will go to the doctors and be given anti-depressants. In my opinion (and I'm sure many people would disagree) these people aren't depressed - they're having a very normal reaction to a bereavement, or a relationship break up or whatever. I don't believe in medicating people who are having normal responses to shitty situations. I think meditation, teaching people coping strategies, and counselling/CBT/other talking therapies are far more appropriate. There's a world of difference between these people, and someone who is genuinely mentally ill. It's normal to feel like shit some of the time, it's when it's prolonged and unrelenting that people need treatment.

Sorry for waffling. #bibble

• Upvote 6

Glad to hear you're getting better Liz. 

One of the concerns I have over the meds I'm on is that I've just been left with them, nobody has attempted to see me for a follow up appointment. They also put me on blood pressure tablets as my blood pressure was high at the time, but I suspect that is because I was in a state of acute physical anxiety. 

The way the NHS is these days and mental health, I never felt 'looked after' for want of a better word, and as I've said several times, suspect I would be in a very bad place now if it wasn't for friends and family. 

• Upvote 2

Glad to hear you're getting better Liz. 

One of the concerns I have over the meds I'm on is that I've just been left with them, nobody has attempted to see me for a follow up appointment. They also put me on blood pressure tablets as my blood pressure was high at the time, but I suspect that is because I was in a state of acute physical anxiety. 

The way the NHS is these days and mental health, I never felt 'looked after' for want of a better word, and as I've said several times, suspect I would be in a very bad place now if it wasn't for friends and family. 

Follow up care is in an even worse state than crisis care, and that's bad enough. I've seen nobody since I was discharged in February. They just hope you'll take yourself back to your GP if you start to feel bad again. I'd make yourself an appointment if I were you, at the very least to have your blood pressure checked. There's a danger of thinking 'Oh well if I'm feeling okay on them I'll just stay on them'.

My Mum developed type 2 diabetes a couple of years ago. She's a size 10, in no way overweight, and her doctor said "Oh it will have been caused by your psychiatric medication" like it was the most normal thing in the world. She'd been on meds on and off for years, and nobody had ever told her there would be a big risk of developing diabetes. It is quite scary.

Good points made by both Liz and Mark. I finally had a "follow up" meeting a couple of months ago at my GP, assuming that it would be time to think about starting to wean myself off them, but the GP just seemed to be horrified that i wasn't being given them in three month batches (i was having to get a prescription every 28 days). I hardly helped matters by not stating my case better. Time to make another appointment, i think.

Yeah deffo, we've just moved so I'm gonna register with a new GP, I was gonna do that anyway to be honest, once a GP thinks you have anxiety they seem to see you as damaged goods and put all your symptoms down to that.

I "Doctor, I'm bleeding out of my arse, I've lost 3 stone, my stomach is distended and in agony and I can't stand for more than 2 minutes without fainting".

"Yes, that'll be your anxiety, now run along you nice little nutter"

• 2 months later...