You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boris Johnson

Section_31

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/dunblane/?utm_source=twitter

Insulting and demeaning: Father of Dunblane victim discovers columns written by Boris Johnson days after tragedy

“The language he uses is insulting and demeaning. It’s as if he can’t put forward a solid argument without being offensive...  I found him arrogant and lacking empathy or any understanding of the issues we were trying to discuss. We took a dossier which included stories of children who had been killed and injured by guns. He started quickly flicking through it as if he didn’t want to deal with it.”

On 11/06/2020 at 16:21, Spy Bee said:

It depressed me that the electorate of this country saw fit to vote him in. How can we be so wrong as a populous? Is the media really that powerful?

The media had a lot to do with it, for sure. So did Brexit and, if they’re honest, the Labour Party as a whole didn’t present what the electorate viewed as a viable alternative. People didn’t like or trust the leader in anywhere near enough numbers, and their shadow cabinet was pretty ropey.  If Boris Johnson is seen as a more viable alternative in a popularity contest, you’re doing something badly wrong. 

• Upvote 2

Couple of comments from the Guardian comments section that caught my eye a few minutes ago.

'Lammy slammed Johnson’s decision to announce the commission in the Daily Telegraph, which is behind a paywall.

I don’t know why he’s announced a commission behind a paywall, in the Telegraph, buried in the middle of yet another article about Churchill.'

Pandering to his base that's all.

It's so bloody shallow and weak.

Today I made the mistake of reading Johnsons article in The Telegraph, I would post the link but I dont want to ruin your day. Also the comments were just vile... we're fucked.

1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

The media had a lot to do with it, for sure. So did Brexit and, if they’re honest, the Labour Party as a whole didn’t present what the electorate viewed as a viable alternative. People didn’t like or trust the leader in anywhere near enough numbers, and their shadow cabinet was pretty ropey.  If Boris Johnson is seen as a more viable alternative in a popularity contest, you’re doing something badly wrong. 

A lot of people like Johnson , I dont and you dont  but loads of people think he is ' a card ' and with the media behind you and politics increasingly becoming like a reality tv show that is more or less all you need.

One of my main criticisms of Corbyn is that he never really took on board this aspect and gave the media free rein on him and allowed a cold, aloof persona to be established. It may seem a small thing but I  still go back to the 2017 election when him and May were both given a full hour on The One Show .May had her husband on and gave an impression of normality if boring , whereas Jeremy vetoed bringing his wife on to talk about how they met and his lads, one of whom was a PL football coach, and ended up talking about his hobby of looking for manhole covers. Looking at how close that election was , it still sticks in my craw.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

A lot of people like Johnson , I dont and you dont  but loads of people think he is ' a card ' and with the media behind you and politics increasingly becoming like a reality tv show that is more or less all you need.

I know this always makes A Red fume but that's why I repeatedly say I've got no sympathy for anyone who suffers on his watch if they voted for him, be they Tory party members who made him leader, or anyone who voted for him at the last election, especially anyone who's northern and poor. 

Absolutely nothing about his reaction to this pandemic has been out of character, you could have written a dystopian short story about it last year and everything he's said and done would have rung true. 

So, the real point is that people seemingly only voted for him because they thought he'd only shit on other people's lives and not theirs, but the pandemic has been a great leveler - it's shit on everyone - and shame on anyone who played even the smallest part in making him the only sandbag that stands between us and oblivion. 

• Upvote 4

The problem is the length of the road back from where we’ve allowed the UK to travel.

All the photos, quotes, articles and anecdotes which provide evidence of abysmal decision making, prejudice, disdain for the masses, laziness and general incompetence barely make a dent on his popularity. Yes the polls occasionally tell a different story, to a degree, but I’m not sure this would translate to the ballot box when it really matters. 

Even where there’s some acceptance that his leadership through the pandemic has been, ‘not the best’, this doesn’t appear to be enough to get people to change their vote. 

The best hope is that he self destructs in some way. Given his track record this is highly likely but I fear it will need to be one hell of an explosion to oust the clown. 

2 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

This has sunk the Tories. The worst thing a government can be seen as is useless, even being openly corrupt would be better. This is the Tories Black Wednesday again, the Major government was perceived as utterly useless from that point onwards and even though they survived another five years they were done for. Labour have a perceived inoffensive, competent centrist leading them just as they had John Smith and Tony Blair (before we discovered his war mongering sociopathy) back then.

One of the worst Coronavirus death rates in the world (affecting many of their core voters) and an ensuing economic depression with the UK performing worse than any other developed economy will finish them. They've delivered a double whammy that even the media won't be able to dig them out of.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, clangers said:

This has sunk the Tories. The worst thing a government can be seen as is useless, even being openly corrupt would be better. This is the Tories Black Wednesday again, the Major government was perceived as utterly useless from that point onwards and even though they survived another five years they were done for. Labour have a perceived inoffensive, competent centrist leading them just as they had John Smith and Tony Blair (before we discovered his war mongering sociopathy) back then.

One of the worst Coronavirus death rates in the world (affecting many of their core voters) and an ensuing economic depression with the UK performing worse than any other developed economy will finish them. They've delivered a double whammy that even the media won't be able to dig them out of.

I wish I was as confident that it will actually sink them.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, clangers said:

Plenty of time for them to pull some shenanigans.