You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

South Africa vs England

Vincent Vega

Guest Pistonbroke
Smith gone. Awesome stuff from England here!

Swann got the one last batsman, we could wrap this up this evening if we ask for the extra half hour light permitting.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or has this series taken a very similar path thus far to the most recent Ashes series? Been watching it on telly (in primetime in Oz, especially when it's hot as fuck at the moment here and all you can be arsed doing midweek is watching telly) and it's been good so far. Hard to pick, but if England can roll South Africa on their home turf, that'll give them a hell of a lot of confidence to retain the Urn come next summer. Australia, meanwhile, has been solid without being spectacular so far this home summer, one of those things that will come with a team still trying to sort itself out after a few retiring legends and a few series losses these last 12 months.

I can't wait for the Ashes in Oz already!! For now though, I reckon England can bring back that good old South African frailty of bottling it at the big moments. And they still play spin like blind old women.

Guest PurpleNose
Doing well in the third test. After winning the toss and deciding to field we currently have the Saffa's at 132/5. Looking good.

Let the game drift a bit since.

Slightly negative captaincy in my opinion.

It does my head in how often Strauss bats second when he wins the toss. You get a massive advantage batting first, he should have more confidence in his openers (especially as he's one himself!) and get us in as soon as possible.

That's pretty much my only criticism of him as skipper though, I've been really impressed with him over the last 12 months in general.

Following Aussie_Scouser's earlier post, I think we'll have a brilliant chance of winning the Ashes in Australia next winter. This team will hopefully still be together, bar one or two changes and the Aussie team is nothing special at all these days. The Windies gave them problems recently and we're a much better side than them so I think it'll be our best chance of success down under in more than 20 years.

Batting first was never an option today apparently. Green wicket and overcast conditions.

South Aftrica haven't done too badly though have they? The overcast conditions were always going to clear by lunch so I'd like to see us go in, in those conditions and see out the first hour or so before attempting to put on a big score. Captains these days have no faith in their openers, it's their job to bat through difficult conditions before the middle order get it.

Well, it's hard to say at this point how well South Africa have done, but they could have done a lot worse if we had held our catches.

The pressure is on the saffs and I think with all things considered we were right to put them in. Having said that, I haven't actually seen a ball of today's play and I caught very little on the radio.

I did see the only white Red Kite in the world though.

Guest Pistonbroke

Bell out for 48. Not looking too good now. 179/6. need the tail-enders to wag again and get as close to their score as possible now. Eat up time and try to make the draw the most likeliest outcome. 3 days left though and a result looks more likely.

Guest PurpleNose
And what? Play Ravi Bopara ahead of him? Dont be silly. He's Englands best player.

Is Bopara the only other batsman in England?

Is he fuck England's best player.

Strauss and Collingwood are far more important batsman.