You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres okay for Chelsea

Dirk

Torres okay for Chelsea

Liverpool striker plays down injury fears

By Francisco Acedo Last updated: 7th February 2008

Super Sunday - Premier League

Fernando Torres has played down fears over the hamstring injury which forced him off during Spain's victory over France and insists he will be fit to face Chelsea on Sunday.

The Liverpool striker limped off in Seville after just 23 minutes and immediately there were fears that the Spaniard could be set for a spell on the sidelines.

Spain's team doctor Jorge Candel was quick to come out after the game to play down the severity of the injury.

"The injury of Torres is not of major importance," said Candel.

No risk

Torres then confirmed that he came off at his own request to make sure he did not damage himself with Liverpool's match with Chelsea very much on his mind.

"I preferred not to risk it," said Torres. "I demanded the change.

"I will have medical tests, but I intend to play on Sunday against Chelsea."

The news will be a huge boost to Rafa Benitez, who would have been sweating over the fitness of his prized striker.

Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Torres okay for Chelsea

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When watching the England game (I have minimal interest in international football), and hearing one of the pundits/commentators say torres went off injured I was ready to go apeshit on mark lawrenson. But now that hes OK for chelski Im not as pissed off as I was before.

I dont think Gerrard would put club before country, but I think Torres and more obviously Carra would definately!

i think we'll win on sunday. no logic to it but fancy a win

Fingers crossed..... Hope Anelka does not come back and bite us in the ass for not signing him permanently back in GH's days.. (And to think that we bought Diouf instead - ahh the madness)

Glad Torres is OK. I hope he is properly OK, rather than not really OK, e.g. Arsenal game.

It will be a tough game on Sunday. We've had many bad results and so expectations are low, especially considering Chelsea's home record. They also have a very good striker in Nicolas Anelka. He is keeping them in the title race while Drogba is away.

I'd say we have a 20% chance of a win, 30% chance of a draw and 50% chance of a loss. If the players are up for it and fighting for the shirt and their manager, then something good could happen.