You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

How many points / matches has he actually cost us with some of the errors he has made, since he was made the #1? If you want to blame him for clearing his area then Wanyama pulling a worldie out of his arse, then fair enough. Outside of that, I can't think of any. 

Klopp clearly believes in him and he has definitely improved since he became a regular. I'd love to see what another season with a similar / same back 4 in front of him, as well as a bit more protection in midfield would do for him. 

Get Casillas to sit on the bench and mentor him for a couple of seasons. I'm pretty sure he's on a rolling one-year contract so would be fairly cheap. Put the fee for Mig into paying his wages. 

Pepe or Casillas as back up to Karius next season for me. I agree that we can spend £50m more effectively, even if Karius isn't one of the world's top keepers; £50m on a centre back or midfielder makes more of a difference.

I’ve got to say goalkeepers with the exception of De Gea and Oblak are pretty shite, look at people like Lloris, Kelyar Navas, Ter Stegen And Donnaruma they make some absolutely horrific errors but all seemed good enough to play for their sides. Karius has improved, last night was madness. I’ll give him a pass.

I've said it before but the modern technological improvements in the game are almost all about creating more goals,not for helping keepers. The balls are like beach balls for professionals and often moke through the air like a dodgy paper aeroplane. Goalkeepers are on a hiding to nothing and there are very,very few stand out keepers around. The fact that we have a young and steadily improving one is almost as good as we can hope for.

Pepe or Casillas as back up to Karius next season for me. I agree that we can spend £50m more effectively, even if Karius isn't one of the world's top keepers; £50m on a centre back or midfielder makes more of a difference.

Pepe is off to Milan, I think.

I'd rather we spent the money elsewhere, the people who are over critical are the ones calling him shite from day one and don't want to climb down from that.

I'm no longer shitting it and watching corners and crosses coming in for behind d the couch or through my finger. His kicking is good, he doesn't get rooted to his line and he releases the ball quickly.

The only area Mig is better is probably penalties and pear knowledge.

Top 6 out out of 20.

Maybe he has potential but I just don't see it.

Good shot stopper but awful decision making.

Don't we need better?

You're just flat wrong about his decision making.

Top 6 is really not a bad standard: it's the level the entire team is at.

Maybe it would be nice to try to sign a better keeper, but it's far from being a priority.

If we bought a new keeper in January and he put in the exact same performances that Karius has then everyone would be wanking themselves silly.

Very few would be saying we need yet another keeper in the summer anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If we bought a new keeper in January and he put in the exact same performances that Karius has then everyone would be wanking themselves silly.

Very few would be saying we need yet another keeper in the summer anyway.

Well I stopped wanking over 54 years ago but yes I think you are right.

You're just flat wrong about his decision making.

Top 6 is really not a bad standard: it's the level the entire team is at.

Maybe it would be nice to try to sign a better keeper, but it's far from being a priority.

Flat-out wrong?

3 decisions spring to mind and 2 were just in the Roma game:

1. Rushing out to dive at Dzekos feet when there was no need to. We were lucky that he was ruled offside otherwise it was a stone cold penalty.

2. For their 2nd goal, saving the original shot but palming it straight to Dzeko when it shoukd have went to the corner flag.

3. Man City first in the return leg. VvD told him to go long but he went short anyway resulting in the first goal.

He needs to improve drastically in this area.

3. From firmly on VVD but he could get away with shtting in the centre circle and it'd be someone else's fault.

Horseshit.

VVD should have done better but it was Karius decision to play it short that allowed City to pressure us in the first place. So with the whole team moving up playing it short to Van Dijk was wrong, especially with him even telling Karius to go long. Was exactly what City wanted.

Horseshit.

VVD should have done better but it was Karius decision to play it short that allowed City to pressure us in the first place. So with the whole team moving up playing it short to Van Dijk was wrong, especially with him even telling Karius to go long. Was exactly what City wanted.

Being meekly shoved off the ball by Sterling, yea huge pressure on us there.

This is exactly what I mean by getting away with anything.  Goal was firmly on VVD.

Flat-out wrong?

1. Rushing out to dive at Dzekos feet when there was no need to. We were lucky that he was ruled offside otherwise it was a stone cold penalty.

2. For their 2nd goal, saving the original shot but palming it straight to Dzeko when it shoukd have went to the corner flag.

3. Man City first in the return leg. VvD told him to go long but he went short anyway resulting in the first goal.

2. That's hardly a decision Karius makes, he barely had time to save the shot.

Being meekly shoved off the ball by Sterling, yea huge pressure on us there.

This is exactly what I mean by getting away with anything. Goal was firmly on VVD.

How exactly is he getting away with it?

Who isnt saying saying Van Dijk should have done better?

However the situation came about because Karius played it short to him when he shouldnt have which is why the situation happened in the first place.

2. That's hardly a decision Karius makes, he barely had time to save the shot.

Exactly. It was an error, in that he should have done better with it and pushed it wider, but it’s not a decision making issue. The decision to save it was definitely the right one.

Flat-out wrong?

The rushing out to Dzeko was irrelevant as it was flagged offside,and even if it wasn't I'd ask questions over how the defence allowed Dzeko to get goal side in the first place,but it's total conjecture as it didn't matter.

Still not fully convinced by Karius despite his generally good form this year, but who would you replace him with?

Roma's keeper didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the semi, let in 7 and was nowhere for some of them. If that was our keeper, he'd be getting dog's abuse. I'm just not sure there's many great keepers about.

• Upvote 1

The rushing out to Dzeko was irrelevant as it was flagged offside,and even if it wasn't I'd ask questions over how the defence allowed Dzeko to get goal side in the first place,but it's total conjecture as it didn't matter.

The whole premise was that he decided to rush him, unbeknownst to him that he was offside.

You can say it is total conjecture but he messed up. Last time he rushed like that against Palace it was a penalty as was this.

I am all for nurturing talent but Karius is error prone due to his decision making and needs to improve.

If he rushes Ronaldo in the final one on one how do you think it will end?