You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

Problems sure, but not directly repsonsible for two "goals".

I would say VVD was a lot more responsible for the goal we conceded than Karius. Didn't play to the whistle. Didn't clear it fast enough. Pushed over by Sterling. Man City broke into the vacated space. Lovren tried to get across, Sterling squared it, Jesus back of the net. Karius no chance. 

I won't say any more though, as we're virtually on the same page! We've seen a lot of improvement to the whole defence. VVD the biggest part of that. Robertson has been very good too. And Karius too, the subject of this thread. 

He was a promising goalie who came over from Germany. Young, but decent experience. We played him but he didn't convince. On too many occasions he looked like a bag of nerves and was miles off the required standard. So he had a stint on the sidelines. Then he fought back, which if nothing else showed some mental resilience. He got the shirt for the CL and that morphed into the Premier League games too, such was the gap that was opening up between Karius and Mingo.

Karius has been good for a few months now. Klopp might sign a new number one this summer, and a month or two ago you would hear lots of talk about Allison, for example. Since then Karius has kept playing and he has done well, to the point that many fans (me included) would be very surprised if he is replaced.

He might be, but we'll see.  

Karius is not perfect, and still has more to do to grow. The second game against City wasn't great, but for me I don't see his performance quite as badly as you do.  

But anyway... vive la difference! We're all good reds - happy reds, and it's fair enough to pick over the bones of it as we care about all things LFC. 

Gave the ball to VVD last night when he was clearly indicating he didn't want it.

Ball should have gone out right instead.

His fluffed punch, according to any pundit with a pulse, should have cost us a second.

He has no doubt improved but is it enough?

Apart from the pundit on my stream who reckons that goal was disallowed because Sterling backed into someone.

Personally I actually thought Van Dijk was saying slow down to Karius and it looked like he was telling him to not twat it up the pitch. It’s not like he ran up the pitch either he showed for the pass so Karius gave it to him. In my opinion Karius should have taken control of the situation and told Van Dijk to fuck off. It was the first minute with us 3 up. It’s game management that we always seem to lack. You would never see a Mourinho team do something that criminal early on in a game. Don’t take risks when you don’t need to. Make the opposition work for their goals when you are up.

What followed I think is really unfair on Van Dijk but I think it’s something he must learn from himself. He pushes the ball past Sterling and is looking for the pass. He did it in his nonchalant style which probably made it look worse but not one player showed for him. He puts his arms out baffled at why nobody has moved for him. At that point he then tried to send it up the line with his weak foot. As he does it he gets fouled by Sterling. The ref, I think, already thought he was asking for a foul (because even now everyone still seems to think this) when he had his arms out looking for the pass so thinks when Sterling actually fouls him that he was looking for it.

The thing Van Dijk needs to learn is that you can’t play your way out of every situation no matter how good the team you’re playing for is. He played himself into that situation by giving Karius the option and then putting the ball on his weak foot against a high pressing team who were desperate for goals. He got fouled so he shouldn’t have been punished but he gave City the opportunity by creating the situation that was completely unnecessary.

• Upvote 1

I would give him next season he has improved quite a lot since VVD turned up and spend the money on another top class center back like an Alderweireld to partner VVD which would save us the 50mill plus for an OBlak/Alisson

I think, unless there’s a complete breakdown now over two maybe three games, he’s our first choice keeper next season. I just don’t see Klopp spending £40m+ on a keeper when he’s got a steadily improving player there already. He’ll give him time to go as far as he can before making that decision.

His trust & patience in his players is a virtue & I’m sure one of his traits that both endear him to his squad & gets the most out of them.

I still think we could do better.

So do I but if Allison is going to cost £50/60/70m+ then I think that money could be spent better elsewhere.

The one point that does concern me is that with so few top quality goalkeepers around at the moment if we don’t buy one when they’re available it could cost us a lot more longer term.

I would give him next season he has improved quite a lot since VVD turned up and spend the money on another top class center back like an Alderweireld to partner VVD which would save us the 50mill plus for an OBlak/Alisson

That's the best thing about Karius; buying a new first-choice goalkeeper is no longer our top priority.

That's the best thing about Karius; buying a new first-choice goalkeeper is no longer our top priority.

So he had gone from being a third to average and that's ok for us?

We should be looking at David de Gea level not settling for substandard.

He does have potential but why not upgrade no him now?

Because we arn't City or Utd and don't have unlimited funds. To get a certain upgrade you need a Alisson or Oblak amd that mrans 60-70ml minimum on a keeper

We have some serious issues with depth to the squad. Have a massive hole in the midfield with Can walking on a free. Lallana a perma crock. Very little if not zero proven back up to the front three.

I think it's a bit unfair saying we need De Gea level keeper, they are few and far between and their is no guarantees if coming from a different league, I'm happy to concentrate on other areas of the team for this summer then maybe try and address is next summer. A backup for Karius will do if Mig goes for me.

How does potential get to be fulfilled sitting on the bench ?  What message does that send to Karius when he's obviously improved this season ?

Klopp hasn't discarded Lovren despite some of his horrendous displays, he's loyal to players.  And Karius was nowhere near the clown figure the Lovren was being painted as.

If you're thinking that the club will be spending a fortune on bringing in one of the top keepers in the world in the summer then you'd best prepare yourself for a big disappointment.

Unless he starts to regress, Karius will be the man between the sticks for a long time to come.

People are forgetting that de gea was labelled a joke when he first came over here. Karius has been very good since getting back in the team and with Vvd and Robertson, has turned us from a defensive laughing stock into one that’s getting respect.

Based on this form, I’d rather have karius than Ederson at City, who seems to be throwing them in mignolet style now.

• Upvote 2

Since starting every game from January onwards when Mignolet was dropped he now has a save percentage of 78% and makes 4.5 save per goal.

Before then it was similar to Migs at 1.3 saves per goals. Thats some hell of an improvement. Stats wise since January hes been up their with De Gea.

• 2 weeks later...