You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Hes not the player we needed. We needed a consistent goal threat. Right now he's doing exactly what he did at Villa. Score a couple, goes months playing shite, and will score a few again once defenders think he's not a threat and stop marking him as tightly. That worked a treat at a constantly relegation threatened club where a teams top scorer getting about 10 -15 goals a season is acceptable. Not so much where we want to challenge and want a better return in terms of goals and not being a general hinderence to the team.

Abysmal signing. His signing shows that Rodgers was truly clueless at identifying good players.

When I was born I started out with the chance of shagging Kelly Brook. It didn't happen.

There. Was. No. Profit. When. We. Sold. Borini.

There. Will. Be. No. Profit. When. We. Sell. Benteke.

I didn't say there would be, I said if we had a good negotiator like Daniel Levy we would make a profit.

The problem at LFC is when a signing doesn't work out the fans make out the player is absolute shit, at other clubs like Spurs if a signing doesn't work out they make out it was the wrong place and wrong time rather then making out the player is shit.

I didn't say there would be, I said if we had a good negotiator like Daniel Levy we would make a profit.

The problem at LFC is when a signing doesn't work out the fans make out the player is absolute shit, at other clubs like Spurs if a signing doesn't work out they make out it was the wrong place and wrong time rather then making out the player is shit.

No they don't you Brendan thick cunt.

Hes not the player we needed. We needed a consistent goal threat. Right now he's doing exactly what he did at Villa. Score a couple, goes months playing shite, and will score a few again once defenders think he's not a threat and stop marking him as tightly. That worked a treat at a constantly relegation threatened club where a teams top scorer getting about 10 -15 goals a season is acceptable. Not so much where we want to challenge and want a better return in terms of goals and not being a general hinderence to the team.

Abysmal signing. His signing shows that Rodgers was truly clueless at identifying good players.

First of all ill just state I agree wholeheartedly. Abysmal signing and even Stevie wonder could have seen it coming.

But his goal scoring had nothing to do with defenders getting slack around him if he went through bad patches.

If you watch videos of his goals for Villa who which you'll find plenty on youtube you'll see an enormous amount of his goals came from crosses or breaks on the counter where the opposition defence was retreating from villas pace on the break and thus affording benteke plenty of space.

You'll rarely see us score a goal like that. For us right now its basically 3 number 10s trying to thread through balls past packed defences where clever movement is required. Benteke is clearly incapable of that.

Have said it a hundred times at this but there's no way hes gone from being as good a goal scorer as he was to total shit. Hes just a limited player who will score goals if you set the team up to play to his strengths.

We don't really have that luxury with our squad though as we have no wingers and no pace.

But like we all know he was a fucking insane signing considering the players already at the club.

• Upvote 2

No we wouldn't

Teams know we need to get rid so offer fuck all knowing that eventually we will have to take the hit. Who else would pay close to what we did for Benteke and who woild offer us over £20ml for him now knowing you'd need to stump ip over 100k week too. Nobody,unless we take a refuced fee or top up his wages for yhe next 4 years

First of all ill just state I agree wholeheartedly. Abysmal signing and even Stevie wonder could have seen it coming.

But his goal scoring had nothing to do with defenders getting slack around him if he went through bad patches.

If you watch videos of his goals for Villa who which you'll find plenty on youtube you'll see an enormous amount of his goals came from crosses or breaks on the counter where the opposition defence was retreating from villas pace on the break and thus affording benteke plenty of space.

You'll rarely see us score a goal like that. For us right now its basically 3 number 10s trying to thread through balls past packed defences where clever movement is required. Benteke is clearly incapable of that.

Have said it a hundred times at this but there's no way hes gone from being as good a goal scorer as he was to total shit. Hes just a limited player who will score goals if you set the team up to play to his strengths.

We don't really have that luxury with our squad though as we have no wingers and no pace.

But like we all know he was a fucking insane signing considering the players already at the club.

Absolutely, and this is why Benteke had always looked better at Villa than he did for Belgium. Most teams park the bus against Belgium as they have a lot of attacking talent. Consequently, most of their games consist of Belgium trying to break the other team down, which makes Benteke look clueless because it showcases his poor movement, and lack of ability in tight spaces. This is also compounded by the fact that he just doesn't link up well with players like De Bruyne, Hazard and Mertens, who don't want to give him the ball early most of the time.

His problems here at Liverpool are similar to the ones he has for Belgium. Teams don't allow us to play on the counter where he could use his physical attributes to beat people 1 on 1 and our attackers want to hold onto the ball instead of playing it long to him.

At Villa, he almost always played in a counter-attacking system where he had a lot of space to operate.  He'd hurt defenses because he's so hard to stop when he's allowed to get a head of steam running with the ball or when attacking the ball in the air.

You have to say, it's poor scouting and forecasting from the club. Everything you heard from Rodgers was that he'd get better playing with better players and that his style would mesh well with the type of football big clubs play. All this despite the fact that there were very clear signs that this wouldn't be the case. And this is even before you mention the fact he's a risk because of the debilitating achilles injury he had, or the fact that he's very streaky and prone to scoring droughts. True incompetence from the club.

• Upvote 1

It's not necessarily a case of poor scouting, more like a case of NO scouting. It was a panic buy brought to you by Ian Ayre-head, Mike Gordon's Alive, Stats Weasel, Chad "I'm the most American cunt in the world" Hogan, Dossier Man, Leather Glove Man and the executive producer of the Cosby Show.

The problem is not the two scouts, they recognised Lacazette, Icardi, Mkhitaryan, Willian, Costa, Alli. The previous scouts recognised Jackson Martinez when he was in the Mexican league, Griezmann, Giroud and Arda Turan. We've spotted a lot of good players before they made it, we just haven't fucking signed ANY of them. The problem is Klopp and the two scouts haven't got the majority say.

• Upvote 1

Been a while since Liverpool have had a player I hated, maybe goes back to Diouf?

We've had plenty of shite players since then, but as bad as they were I could never really bring myself to dislike, say, Konchesky or Poulsen or whoever.

But Benteke and Mignolet, I don't know what it is about them but I get angry just seeing them in a Liverpool shirt.  Worse with Benteke - Mignolet is terrible but it's not his fault he's terrible, he just is.  It's something about his face or the way he blames everyone else that makes me dislike him.

Benteke, though ... I don't even know what to say.  He is just absolutely thick, in a way that makes me wonder how he's made it this far in football.  The difference between his movement and that of Sturridge is incredible when you see them next to each other like we did tonight.  It is just incredibly frustrating to see a move developing and realise that it's crying out for a striker to make a run to the near post, or maybe to pull away to draw a defender from the man on the ball, or whatever, and Benteke is standing between the penalty spot and the edge of the box just looking at the play.

Sell him to China,  rumour has it their window is open for another 2 weeks, just get him out the team.  I don't care if we have to play Sinclair and Aidy Ward gets a payday, or Ojo, or whoever.  Just let me never see Christian Benteke in a Liverpool shirt again.

• Upvote 2

Actually preferred Carroll to him. Carroll was a shit severely limited pub player but at least he had some strenghts and had a handful of games he won for us and dominated teams.

This wanker has nothing, absolutely zilch to merit his place in the team.

Carrol scored 6 in 44 league games for us, Benteke so far has scored 6 in 21.

He's starting to look like Andy Cole early in his Man Utd career. He got some goals in the end, Cole, but he missed a shit load of chances and his confidence was shot. We can't afford Benteke like that with our dodgy defence and he should only play again if we've got absolutely no alternative. Put Sturridge out there even if he doesn't run around too much, it's got to be better than what we've got at the moment.