You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

The thing about Benteke is I haven't seen a complete performance from him as yet. I've seen glimpses.. But that's it.

What I'm hoping for is for everything to come together and he could put a 8 out of 10 performance for a couple of games in a row to build his confidence up, and he would be a weapon for us.

• Upvote 1

The thing about Benteke is I haven't seen a complete performance from him as yet. I've seen glimpses.. But that's it.

What I'm hoping for is for everything to come together and he could put a 8 out of 10 performance for a couple of games in a row to build his confidence up, and he would be a weapon for us.

He's already a weapon

• Upvote 4

Do you even know what a sitter is?

A sitter to me is a chance any professional player should score from, examples would be Torres miss against manu and Allens miss against Everton at Goodison.

There were four chances in the videos I saw about Benteke, the one on one and the shot at the edge of the box were good chances.The header was a half chance and the final effort was a bad shot from outside the box when he should have passed to Sturridge.

Benteke should be able to just lay the ball off and make runs around the box but our midfielders don't make runs ahead of him and when he does lay the ball off they lose posseion most of the time.He wouldn't have had that problem at Klopps old club with Reus and Mkhitaryan around him.

He came to LFC and was scoring even when the team was not playing well, he got injured and since he's been back he gets blamed every game where he plays and we don't win and he doesn't score.Even when he has scored at times he has been criticised, his confidence has obviously been affected but a couple of goals will change things and playing with Sturridge will help him.

• Upvote 1

A sitter to me is a chance any professional player should score from, examples would be Torres miss against manu and Allens miss against Everton at Goodison.

There were four chances in the videos I saw about Benteke, the one on one and the shot at the edge of the box were good chances.The header was a half chance and the final effort was a bad shot from outside the box when he should have passed to Sturridge.

Benteke should be able to just lay the ball off and make runs around the box but our midfielders don't make runs ahead of him and when he does lay the ball off they lose posseion most of the time.He wouldn't have had that problem at Klopps old club with Reus and Mkhitaryan around him.

He came to LFC and was scoring even when the team was not playing well, he got injured and since he's been back he gets blamed every game where he plays and we don't win and he doesn't score.Even when he has scored at times he has been criticised, his confidence has obviously been affected but a couple of goals will change things and playing with Sturridge will help him.

Ok, your first paragraph makes sense.

What's your opinion about not scoring any one of 2 very good chances (one of which was his fourth one on one with a goalie that he's messed up this season), a half chance, and making a stupid decision? That's all in one game, that's an extremely poor conversion rate for someone that's supposed to guarantee goals. And this was apparently his best game for us?

As for him having to lay balls off and make runs around the box, yes, our mids don't always anticipate it, but when they do he either gives it to them too short and they lose possession, or he lays it off and remains static.

Besides, the players we have currently, and bought before Benteke aren't used to that sort of game, which makes one wonder why we bought him in the first place, especially for such an extortionate price.

Yes he's scored a few, but his inclusion in the team so far has caused more problems than solutions. Had we bought a striker that plays to the teams strengths, we'd have had more goals than just his six so far.

As for playing with Sturridge, that's the exact same excuse that got rolled out for Balotelli. He needs a striking partner. Basically, it's saying that the players not good enough to play as lone striker.

Ok, your first paragraph makes sense.

What's your opinion about not scoring any one of 2 very good chances (one of which was his fourth one on one with a goalie that he's messed up this season), a half chance, and making a stupid decision? That's all in one game, that's an extremely poor conversion rate for someone that's supposed to guarantee goals. And this was apparently his best game for us?

As for him having to lay balls off and make runs around the box, yes, our mids don't always anticipate it, but when they do he either gives it to them too short and they lose possession, or he lays it off and remains static.

Besides, the players we have currently, and bought before Benteke aren't used to that sort of game, which makes one wonder why we bought him in the first place, especially for such an extortionate price.

Yes he's scored a few, but his inclusion in the team so far has caused more problems than solutions. Had we bought a striker that plays to the teams strengths, we'd have had more goals than just his six so far.

As for playing with Sturridge, that's the exact same excuse that got rolled out for Balotelli. He needs a striking partner. Basically, it's saying that the players not good enough to play as lone striker.

Benteke was brought in to play with a partner imo, your right it was the same excuse for Balo and I think his LFC career could have been very different if he did have a striker next to him.

I agree with those who say he should be sold in the summer as Klopp wants to play one up front and Benteke isn't the answer for our team, I don't see the point getting on his back and criticising him all the time though as it will effect his confidence and teams will know fans are desperate for him to be sold.

• Downvote 1

Getting on his back and criticising him is the right thing to do. It will make him stronger. Like when my dad used to whip me with long sticks and call me thicko to improve my juggling skills. Didn't do me any harm. I'm the best juggler in the whole of the UK and Ireland. Without that criticism I'd be a nobody.

• Upvote 2

Getting on his back and criticising him is the right thing to do. It will make him stronger. Like when my dad used to whip me with long sticks and call me thicko to improve my juggling skills. Didn't do me any harm. I'm the best juggler in the whole of the UK and Ireland. Without that criticism I'd be a nobody.

I have some news for you...... That long stick and the balls....

Can't we just sell him , Seems a bit bizarre but it could be the answer

• 3 weeks later...

He is such a tree.

Seems harsh to criticise when he's just won us a penalty that won the game, but his movement continues to be woeful.  It might have gotten worse.

There was a moment about 5 minutes from time when Can broke forward, and he delayed and delayed waiting for Benteke to move, just, at all in the box so he could pick out a pass.  No movement at all, he's just stood there behind two defenders.  Can even waved his arms in anger to point out where to go, but nothing.  I think in the end Can punted in a hopeless cross out of pure frustration.  It's unbelievable that a professional footballer at this level, in his position, has no sense whatsoever of where to move in the box.  

Even if he just picked a direction at random and ran there, it would be better.  He'd get it right every now and again by pure chance at least.

• Upvote 1

Feel for the guy as he is a decent bloke, but got to move him on at the first opportunity. No movement can't read a game, disappointed with his ariel capabilities .

I think it's more the case that that team doesn't play a crossing game, and when we do try a cross they are usually poor and easily cleared.

It's become clear to me since moving here that Benteke is very much an instinct striker. If he has to think about it at all his strengths go out the window, and with our often ponderous build up play that makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk