You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benteke

kirkbyred1

Thought he did well when he came on today. Not sure what his instructions were, but I can understand him not chasing into the box as the only Liverpool player against 4-5 defenders. All of the team seemed a bit unsure if they should chase a winner by then, and Can should probably just have kept the ball in the team rather than giving it away.

Thought he made a couple of good runs today, creating room for himself both with his shot that McCarthy had to palm away and for the pen situation. Seemed to have a bit of extra spring in his step today too (as well as the Palace defenders looking exhausted). Loved the signature penalty too. Look and learn Coutinho!

On a related note, I've got extra incentive to root for Benteke now, as I ruptured my achilles in football practice on Thursday. Hoping the big man (as well as myself) make a full recovery and start banging them in again!

• Upvote 2

I still dont think he's good enough even to warm the bench. Credit to him taking the pen (beckenbauer wouldnt have let him take it) but it wasnt that good a pen, just a match winning one.

90th mins penalty, under pressure and he has the confidence to wait for the keeper to move and slot it the other side. It's a great penalty

I doubt he'll be here next year but you can't fault the guy's attitude and at the end of the day, he's our leading goal scorer. He'll have a good career elsewhere.

He's level with firmino who scored today to make him our leading scorer.

Whoever made the decision to have him take the penalty deserves a lot of credit, too, for showing such faith in him. Was it Klopp or Henderson?

He took it upon himself by the looks of it. Henderson is the designated penalty taker isnt he?

Still want him sold asap. Preferable after he has destroyed Danny Blind with a cameo.

Can't fault the lad for his attitude. And for a coolly taken spot kick today to win us the game , he deserves credit. 

However... the movement is not there and you would have to think he will leave in the summer. No reason whatsoever why he can't do well somewhere else. But I'm not seeing it here. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Christian Benteke on Liverpool FC struggles: It's hard to understand
  Benteke thought that Klopp's arrival would see him flourish at Anfield - but that has not been the case

• 09:27, 23 MAR 2016
  • UPDATED  09:28, 23 MAR 2016
  • BY JOE RIMMER

Christian Benteke admits he finds it “hard to understand” his struggles at Liverpool FCunder Jurgen Klopp.

The £32m striker is reported to have told Belgian press that he finds it difficult to understand why the German manager has often overlooked him since arriving at Anfield in September - despite him admitting that his old club, Dortmund, were interested in signing the forward from Aston Villa.

Benteke reportedly told Belgian outlet Sport/Voetbalmagazine: “Some team-mates have said that I was lucky with the arrival of Klopp, because I certainly would play.

“When your coach says he wanted to take you to Dortmund and a little later you sit at the same club and he ignores you, it is hard to understand.”

And Benteke rejected suggestions that he does not fit into Klopp’s hard-pressing style of play, with the German often preferring to use Daniel Sturridge, Roberto Firmino or Benteke’s countryman, Divock Origi.

He said: “I do not understand why people say that.

“I can play pressing and moving a lot. It is not that we play in the Barcelona style.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/christian-benteke-liverpool-fc-struggles-11083297

Most likely because he manages to miss at least one sitter a game.  Even when he was the hero at Palace his first touch was a great chance he missed and he must be approaching half a dozen one-on-ones he has hit the ball at the keeper or dragged it wide?

Not to mention his lauded ability in the air has seen him spoon headers over the bad from 6 yards out this season.  

He scores a couple of blooters a season but unless he's the sole focal point of a teams attack, as he was at Aston Thrilla, then he wont score more than 10 goals a season ever.  Sherwood was spot on. 

Not related to El Rojo's comments but I don't get this idea, typically coined by the MOTD experts, that Klopp balled Benteke out for missing the chance he did.  Bet it had nowt to do with that and everything to do with him as per offering nothing to the likes of Coutinho; no runs, no movement, no interest in doing what's required from a striker in Klopp's system. 

That he regularly loses his physical battles, casually backheels promising moves to the opposition, has the lay off of a kerb and squanders clear chances every game, does rub salt into the wounds, but I'd put my house on it not being those things Klopp tore into him for.  They can be down to form and confidence, while the former is down to effort and thought.

• Upvote 2

Just looking at this quote off the Echo website:

Yes, he told me he wanted me to be more involved in the game and yet it seems to me that this is one of my qualities, I like to combine .. But maybe I’m not making the right calls, that my teammates did not find me.

I considered his remarks, I told myself that I had to adapt and change my style of play, go deeper, etc. And then I remembered that if Liverpool had bought me was for my qualities. The ideal is to be yourself, keep your identity while trying to adapt to the style of the coach. And if it does not work, it does not work.

Is it just me, or does this basically mean "I thought about adapting to Klopp's style, but then I remembered who I am and that it would never work."

Definitely off in the summer, then, Christian.  Can't see Klopp trying to hang onto a player who doesn't even want to try to adapt.  Like Dr Nowt said just above, it's not that he's missing chances, it's that he's seemingly given up on even trying to fit into what Klopp is trying to do.  

Worst of luck to him next season, wherever he is.  Hope we can somehow convince one of the midtable teams to spend a chunk of their TV money on him in the summer so we don't lose too much on him.