You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Could Pele no longer be called a 'world class player' towards the end of his playing career? Or Beckenbauer? Or Henry?

Its an intriguing concept that once a player attains 'world class' status, they lose that status as they gradually age.

Players may no longer be world class in the context of present day but does that mean we shouldnt recognise them as having been such?

Describing someone a 'former world class; doesnt sit right with me.

The term is pretty much pointless unless you define it when you use it really.

I've always thought it means in the top few players in the world in your position but others use it differently. 

I don't really think there's any definition of the word in which Gerrard could still be called World Class at his current level.

Remember when he singal handily took us to fourth place under Houllier, that was the best I think I've ever seen any footballer play. But he did it time and time again. A huge void will be left and i'm not sure we currently have the leaders in the team to fill it.

The term is pretty much pointless unless you define it when you use it really.

I've always thought it means in the top few players in the world in your position but others use it differently. 

I don't really think there's any definition of the word in which Gerrard could still be called World Class at his current level.

Interesting. So you consider it to be transient and only temporary.

Its an intriguing concept that once a player attains 'world class' status, they lose that status as they gradually age.

I agree. I believe that some trot out the phrase glibly, but for me, using whatever definition you choose, Gerrard hit those heights, an achievement which should be revered forever, because it is so rare.

Well some of the stuff he did for us was like roy of the rovers at times see cl final and fa cup final.

I was just about to point that out.

He actually did some things at times that you'd expect to see in comics.

No one player can do the work of 11 but some can make a huge difference.

He's one of those.

Sorry, not going to get sentimental about a multi-millionaire way past his best. It's like giving a shit when your CEO leaves your company.

You're a fucking joke. He more than anyone else has provided entertainment and happiness to millions of liverpool fans around the world in the past two decades. He more than deserves ever cent he has earnt from the club. He is essentially what football is all about for me. If you can't (won't) get sentimental over Steven fucking Gerrard playing his last months for us, then what's the point of following football?

• Upvote 4

Maybe if you'd posted it in the henderson appreciation thread some of us might not think you just want to be the party pooper?

If someone had changed the title of this thread to "The Steven Gerrard appreciation thread" it would look more out of place. As most of my post refers to his absence and what will happen to our team in the coming months, I don't think it's too far off to be posted here. How am I pooping the party btw, I thought most were unhappy to see him leave?

Well some of the stuff he did for us was like roy of the rovers at times see cl final and fa cup final.

Are we talking about the Hamann and Sissoko finals here? What?

There was a quality article in The Blizzard a while back about how Roy of the Rovers has broken English football and made us all lust after The Talisman instead of a great team.

I think gerrard is still a top class player and would like him to go to a big team in europe to win a league.

In a team like a psg or man city (dont want him there) he would still shine, players like aguero and Ibra would be able to do something with his long passes and he would have the proper protection behind him.

Having never seen lfc win a title gerrard lifting it was part of the dream and Im disapointed I wont see that happen, if he had been willing to be an impact player for us he could have stayed another couple of years and who knows.

Are we talking about the Hamann and Sissoko finals here? What?

There was a quality article in The Blizzard a while back about how Roy of the Rovers has broken English football and made us all lust after The Talisman instead of a great team.

We never had great teams during Gerrards time but He more often or made the difference between winning a trophy or not, suppose you forgot Olympiacos too, i suppose we would not had even made it too the ' Hamman final' if it weren't for stevie.

Yeah. World Class is a current thing. If you were going to pick three of each position for a squad to go and represent the planet who would they be? Well they are the world class players then.

I still think of the players I mentioned as world class even though they packed in playing long ago. Obviously its a different outlook to yours though.

We never had great teams during Gerrards time but He more often or made the difference between winning a trophy or not, suppose you forgot Olympiacos too, i suppose we would not had even made it too the ' Hamman final' if it weren't for stevie.

Or Mellor and Pongolle.

Or Garcia.

Or Hyypia.

Or Biscan.

Or.......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1